Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Synthroid/levothyroxine on fast days
1  2  Next

How do you take your thyroid meds on whole-day fast days?
I take it as usual with a small sip of water.  
 28%  [ 17 ]
I skip that day.  
 40%  [ 24 ]
I take it at night after the fast has ended.  
 31%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 60

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:26 am
All imamothers on Synthroid (levothyroxine) or other thyroid meds: What do you do on Tisha B'Av and Yom Kippur? I know that if not taking a medication would damage your health, you're allowed to take it with a small sip of water on a fast day. But I'm looking for creative solutions. For example, I sometimes take my levothyroxine later in the day, depending on circumstances. Or earlier, as in this Shiva Asar B'Tamuz, when I took it at 2 AM, so I could eat at 3 AM before the fast started. No bad consequences, as far as I can tell.

I'm thinking about taking it at night after the fast has ended. The drawback is that I'd have to fast an extra hour, because I wait for an hour after taking levothyroxine before eating. But at least I'd be able to drink water during that hour.

This isn't the same situation as taking an antibiotic multiple times a day. Of course, in that situation, there's no choice and you need to take it on a fast day. It also isn't the same as taking some necessary medication that has a short half-life. In the case of levothyroxine, the half-life is very long, so it's not like your T4 level is going to drop significantly if you delay it by 12 or 14 hours. On the other hand, they do tell you to take it at the same time every day. But I don't know if that's just to increase the chances that you take it every day.

Advice to ask my doctor is not helpful, so please don't suggest that. I have no desire to explain my religious practices to anyone if I don't have to. I am just interested in what you all do, and how you came to your decision.

imamom7

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:30 am
I take it regular time without water- I don’t need water to swallow a pill

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:32 am
I have issues swallowing pills and need to drink a lot. I just take it the moment we are allowed to drink after the fast.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:32 am
imamom7 wrote:
I take it regular time without water- I don’t need water to swallow a pill

Thank you. I thought I had put in an option for "other" but it doesn't show up and I don't know how to edit a poll.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:34 am
This is what I do. I usually take it in the morning. Sometimes.I take am extra half dose sometime.the day before in the afternoon if I have ahd a few hours without food. Then I swallow the remainder (or the full dose) without water sometime during the afternoon of the fast. I take it in the afternoon because having less thyroid hotline in you decreases your appetite (and I do notice a difference). Then I can eat and drink as soon as the fast goes out.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:36 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I have issues swallowing pills and need to drink a lot. I just take it the moment we are allowed to drink after the fast.

I have issues swallowing pills too. I didn't used to, back when I didn't need to take pills, but now I do. And usually if I don't have at least a half glass of water when I take Synthroid, I get a stomach ache. Which is another reason I'm thinking of just taking it after the fast ends.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 7:23 am
My dr told me to skip it and take 2 the next day

imasinger

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 7:31 am
My doctor said to keep the dose and time regular, so I take it with a tiny sip of water on minor fast days, and skip a dose on the 2 major fast days.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 7:34 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
My dr told me to skip it and take 2 the next day

Same for my DD. Synthroid is a cumulative dose, so he said it's fine to just take 2 the next day.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 7:05 pm
Are so many people on thyroid meds?

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 7:28 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:

Yes

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 7:41 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Yes

Wow. Bh I dont know of these things. Like your taking meds for life?

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 8:16 pm
nice to hear other pple are on it. Im in my thirties and on it. Its annoying that I need it for rest of my life. What did they do in the olden days when this medicine wasnt around?

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 8:27 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
nice to hear other pple are on it. Im in my thirties and on it. Its annoying that I need it for rest of my life. What did they do in the olden days when this medicine wasnt around?

Maybe they died young. I am so grateful that this is resolved so simply with taking a small pill daily and occasional check ups. And I always skip the fast days and either take at night or take 2 the next day. If I take at night I don't wait a full hour just like 15 min. Never had any issues and im on a relatively high dose.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 8:29 pm
Wow. Bh I dont know of these things. Like your taking meds for life?

Yes. Autoimmune thyroid disease.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 8:47 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Yes. Autoimmune thyroid disease.

Wow. How did you find out that you have hypothyroidism? What are your symptoms? What does this come from? Hugs

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 8:49 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Wow. How did you find out that you have hypothyroidism? What are your symptoms? What does this come from? Hugs

I was feeling depressed and gaining weight.
I have another autoimmune disease for more than a decade and it's not unusual for another one to follow. I was diagnosed with hypothyroid this year.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 9:06 pm

Yes! Levothyroxine is the second most prescribed medicine in the U.S. There are 10 million hypothyroid people in the U.S., most of them women. And I think a disproportionate number of them are Jewish, either for genetic reasons or because we go to doctors so often.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 9:08 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:

They did what I did before I started taking it. They napped all day and probably got sick a lot more often.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 11:07 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
I was feeling depressed and gaining weight.
I have another autoimmune disease for more than a decade and it's not unusual for another one to follow. I was diagnosed with hypothyroid this year.

Im so sorry to hear.
Do all symptoms completely resolve when on the synthroids?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note