Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Can you help me ?

lone

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 10:01 pm
Ok, so here I go.
Kinda of embarrassing that I am writting this. I am an immigrant who became a BT. I have went to public school and public college in USA, and yet I feel like when I talk and write it is not as eloquent as most Americans, and that really bothers me. Any suggestions on how I can improve that besides recommending me to read more (I do that already )?
P.S I came to America when I was 8 so I wasn’t so old.
Also I am not dumb, I took Ap classes in high school, and did very well in science, math, and history in college.

OutATowner

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 10:04 pm
Reading, like you said, is great. But maybe you are more of an auditory learner. Would you try listening to audiobooks?
And you don't sound dumb at all! Many smart people want to improve their writing and expressive language skills.

lone

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 10:12 pm
OutATowner wrote:
Reading, like you said, is great. But maybe you are more of an auditory learner. Would you try listening to audiobooks?
And you don't sound dumb at all! Many smart people want to improve their writing and expressive language skills.

I could definitely try that. Any recommendations ?

OutATowner

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 10:16 pm
I don't have specific recommendations, but if you have a particular author or genre you enjoy reading you can probably find books on audible or similar sites. The library also has many audiobooks.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 10:50 pm
Each day, when you read, jot down one or two vocabulary words that you like. Look them up in the dictionary if necessary. Then try to use those words when speaking or writing, as appropriate.
Enjoy! This may sound funny but I enjoy working on those skills as well.

Jewishfoodie

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 11:09 pm
As an American I am officially allowed to tell you (by the power vested in me..) that your English is incredible! I wish all Americans had your skills, so don't be so hard on yourself!

Jewishfoodie

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 11:45 pm
As an American, I am assuring you (by the powers vested in me..) that your English is terrific! You have nothing to worry about!

Rappel

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 2:49 am
If you want a handbook, The Elements of Style is the gold-standard for good writing. It's been in print forever, so you can find older editions for pennies. It contains all the rules you would need to develop polished, eloquent writing

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 5:28 am
For a great grammar book, read Eats, Shoots, and Leaves.

This book is very smart, very readable, and hysterically entertaining.

lone

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 8:34 am
Jewishfoodie wrote:
As an American, I am assuring you (by the powers vested in me..) that your English is terrific! You have nothing to worry about!

Awww!!!! Thank u! Can we be friends Wink?

lone

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 8:37 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Each day, when you read, jot down one or two vocabulary words that you like. Look them up in the dictionary if necessary. Then try to use those words when speaking or writing, as appropriate.
Enjoy! This may sound funny but I enjoy working on those skills as well.

Thanks ! I’ve been doing that as well. Idk I’m just clueless as to why I feel like such an immigrant when I speak to Americans (it’s not just an accent that gives me away).

lone

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 8:38 am
Rappel wrote:
If you want a handbook, The Elements of Style is the gold-standard for good writing. It's been in print forever, so you can find older editions for pennies. It contains all the rules you would need to develop polished, eloquent writing

Thank u ! I will definitely order that book.

lone

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 8:39 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
For a great grammar book, read Eats, Shoots, and Leaves.

This book is very smart, very readable, and hysterically entertaining.

I will purchase this one as well. Thank u!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational