Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler with unexplained fever - time sensitive
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 8:30 am
Im at a loss of what to do. My toddler started day camp at the beginning of july and every other week she comes down with a low grade fever (under 101.5) and it lasts 2-3 days. Ive taken her to the doc and theyve checked her ears and throat and told me its a virus and to wait it out. She is completely symptom free. I want to do the right thing but I also really want to send her. Its becoming incredibly frustrating to keep having to take off to deal with a child whos acting totally fine !

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 8:41 am
That does sound frustrating. Can you check with the camp if anyone else has been out sick to see if she's picking something up from her bunkmates?

Maybe ask your pediatrician if there is anything you can do to build up her immune system. Do you give her a daily vitamin?

nchr

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 8:47 am
Did you do bloodwork to rule out viruses like mono? Or an xray to rule out pneumonia? If you know what it is, you may still be able to send her to came.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 8:49 am
She could have mono or Lyme... You should insist on blood work. 101 is a real fever.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 9:10 am
Last time they took urine and ruled out a UTI. They also did a finger prick and said she has elevated white blood count which means viral. It seems odd for a virus to keep coming back, arent most viruses a one time thing and then the child is immune?

ectomorph

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 9:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Last time they took urine and ruled out a UTI. They also did a finger prick and said she has elevated white blood count which means viral. It seems odd for a virus to keep coming back, arent most viruses a one time thing and then the child is immune?
finger prick is not blood work

what you need is a cbc and antibodies probably as well

your doctor should know what to order if you insist on it

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 9:44 am
ectomorph wrote:
finger prick is not blood work

what you need is a cbc and antibodies probably as well

your doctor should know what to order if you insist on it

I understand, but if her finger prick clearly shows its viral then im likely taking blood for no reason and itll come back negative.....
Shes home with me. Yippee

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I understand, but if her finger prick clearly shows its viral then im likely taking blood for no reason and itll come back negative.....

No an elevated white blood cell count does not clearly indicate it’s viral.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:14 am
An elevated white count actually indicates that there is possibly an infection in the body and more comprehensive bloodwork and testing needs to be done

Jewishfoodie

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:18 am
Low grade fever is indicative of something. Not necessarily bad but are you able to go to an out of network doc for a second opinion? You'll feel so much better knowing that you did your best to figure it out. No?

ectomorph

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

High white blood count doesn't tell you it's viral. I think you misunderstood the dr unless they are incredibly incompetent. It just means there is an infection. They don't know which without further testing.

Some thing is wrong if the child is running a fever, and it needs to be checked out. Looking at the blood work can provide clues.

Even if you didn't mind having her home, this is a medical red flag and should be investigated by a competent doctor. Even an urgent care would tell you that.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:37 am
Please get blood work.

My kids have had mono, pneumonia, bad reaction to living in a basement...

It can all be resolved. Your job is to get to the bottom of it; I'm surprised your dr didnt order bloodwork

dankbar

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 11:01 am
I think its very normal when a child starts going to school to constantly be sick, until their immune system strengthens & gets used to all germs around them. If they go swimming even more.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 11:09 am
dankbar wrote:
I think its very normal when a child starts going to school to constantly be sick, until their immune system strengthens & gets used to all germs around them. If they go swimming even more.

Yes this is her 1st time going out. She was home with my lady till this summer...

Teomima

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 11:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes this is her 1st time going out. She was home with my lady till this summer...

If that's the case then it's definitely pretty normal. My kids always spend the first couple of months sick on and off when they first start daycare. They're getting exposed to all sorts of new germs and it takes a while for them to build up proper antibodies to it all. It's annoying, but nothing terribly worrisome. It'll pass.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 11:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It's still not expected to get fever every week, especially as you say she's symptom free otherwise. Your doctor should run more extensive bloodwork to get a more clear diagnosis, or at least to rule out the most likely causes.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 11:29 am
ectomorph wrote:
She could have mono or Lyme... You should insist on blood work. 101 is a real fever.

One of my grandchildren recently had the bullseye rash and is being treated for Lyme. They did blood work.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 12:16 pm
An elevated White blood count is indicative most likely of a bacterial infection, which usually needs antibiotics. A low WBC is indicative of a viral issue like mono...either way, I hate to break the news to you that your doctor is a total moron. He or she needs to take blood, from a vein, and test for the many possibilities of what this can be....

familyfirst

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 12:22 pm
Just get the bloodwork done - for her health and your sanity!

dankbar

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 12:25 pm
Unexplained fever is worrisome, always better safe than sorry, so bloodwork should get done to rule out anything major going on & put you more at ease hopefully G-d willing, but still think in beg of starting school kids gets sick often.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics