Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Nickname for Schneur??

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 1:38 am
And/or an English variation that doctors etc can remember and pronounce?

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 2:06 am
Maybe Uri/Ori?

salt

Post Tue, Jul 23 2019, 2:33 am
Sean (pronouncd Shawn).

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 10:50 pm
Hmm interesting ideas. Thank you. Any others?

studying_torah

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 10:53 pm
What does schneur mean? Perhaps we can get ideas from that

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 10:55 pm
Shnay-or, two lights.

But I'm specifically looking for a nickname, not an English equivalent.

Moonlight

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 10:56 pm
studying_torah wrote:
What does schneur mean? Perhaps we can get ideas from that

2 lights

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 11:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Shnay-or, two lights.

But I'm specifically looking for a nickname, not an English equivalent.

Reading over my original post I see how I was a bit unclear, sorry. English variation, yes, like Sean as in the post above. Not an English name that means the same thing.

Thanks !!

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 11:16 pm
Shane? I like Shawn better, truthfully. You could use a nickname like "Shay" or "Shin" or another sound from the name. Sometimes the best nicknames just happen. (My Yehuda is "Duda") ;-)

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 11:17 pm
What about Neo? It's a related sound. Cool "Matrix" vibes, too, if you're into that.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 11:28 pm
Some interesting ideas, thank you kiwi !!

agreer

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 11:36 pm
One vote for Shane!

I know someone who calls her son "Shnay" (like two in Hebrew) but Shane is super cool!

nchr

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 2:23 pm
I heard this came from Senior, but that is not a common name in the States. If you don't mind a dated name do Seymour. If you want a typical, but not so common name: Sean, Shane, etc. Trendier names could be Shyloh, Shay, etc.

BetsyTacy

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 2:40 pm
I have a question:if your ped starts addressing your child, who doesn't automatically respond to his name because that is not what he is used to being called, doesn't the doctor think that it is either strange, or even that there is something wrong where a child doesn't react to his own name?

The doctors might have butchered my kids names but at least my kids knew they were being addressed--or I might gently correct the doctor, who being pretty intelligent, could pronounce it well enough, even without being able to pronounce the "ch" sound correctly. If I had a kid named Shneur, why would he know to react if someone called him Shawn? I mean a little kid, say 4 years old.

tichellady

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 2:41 pm
Or, Ori or Lior

sky

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 3:01 pm
BetsyTacy wrote:
I have a question:if your ped starts addressing your child, who doesn't automatically respond to his name because that is not what he is used to being called, doesn't the doctor think that it is either strange, or even that there is something wrong where a child doesn't react to his own name?

The doctors might have butchered my kids names but at least my kids knew they were being addressed--or I might gently correct the doctor, who being pretty intelligent, could pronounce it well enough, even without being able to pronounce the "ch" sound correctly. If I had a kid named Shneur, why would he know to react if someone called him Shawn? I mean a little kid, say 4 years old.

My kids have legal names very different from Hebrew. Many drs will ask if there is a nickname and use that. (Jewish and non Jewish drs). I remember one non Jewish dr look at my son and say they don’t call you Paul what is it really..,we all had a good laugh.
My kids have a basic idea they have English names from very young and we use it in a endearing way sometimes
Never had an issue.

cbg

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 3:32 pm
I know a Nuri, pronounced noori

Boobasheli

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 9:44 pm
I know a Shneur who is called Meir because the root is "light" in both names. So his name at the Torah is shneur but otherwise he is known as Meir.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 9:52 pm
Shane, Shyloh (Shiloh), and Shay (Shea) are pretty much used as girls' names nowadays. Shawn/Sean is Irish and it is very weird imo for a Jewish child to have that name.
If you want to choose a secular derived name or nickname, make sure to do some research to see how it "goes" for nowadays!

Shuly

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 12:49 pm
Uri
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names