Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler with unexplained fever - time sensitive
Previous  1  2

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 12:57 pm
ectomorph wrote:
High white blood count doesn't tell you it's viral. I think you misunderstood the dr unless they are incredibly incompetent. It just means there is an infection. They don't know which without further testing.

Some thing is wrong if the child is running a fever, and it needs to be checked out. Looking at the blood work can provide clues.

Even if you didn't mind having her home, this is a medical red flag and should be investigated by a competent doctor. Even an urgent care would tell you that.

The dr probably said that it is elevated in a viral direction, any fever cause elevated WBC. Presumably it wasn't extremely elevated that the drs are thinking pneumonia.

sarahmalka

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 1:07 pm
Recurring fever like this could be Lyme. Most people do not actually get the rash. If this has been going on for a month the blood work for Lyme would likely be negative by now. Does she have any limping, more tired or weak than usual, swollen or red knees or other joints?

groovy1224

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 1:09 pm
By all means get it checked out, but if this is her first time around other kids, then it is very normal for her to pick up every virus that other kids bring. And it could just be that the way her body reacts to these viruses is with a low grade fever.

My kids are all like this. They get fever quite often, but behave normally, and it's frustrating to keep them home and then watch them play/eat like normal but the truth is they DO have a virus, if they didn't there would be no fever. So I keep them home.

By my oldest I had a whole workup done because I thought it couldn't possibly be normal but everything came back fine. I would be much more concerned with a fever that's accompanied by other symptoms like listlessness, loss of appetite, pain, etc.

happyone

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 2:36 pm
Familial Mediterranean Fever can sometimes explain fevers of unknown origin. . it's usually cyclic comes several days every few weeks. alot of children have stomaheaches with the fever but some dont. ask your doc to rule that out.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 2:50 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
The dr probably said that it is elevated in a viral direction, any fever cause elevated WBC. Presumably it wasn't extremely elevated that the drs are thinking pneumonia.

That could change since then. Either way after a month of low grade fever, I personally would insist on blood work. It can't hurt, and it will be good to rule out a treatable infection.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics