Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Not fasting TB for reasons besides pregnancy or nursing?
Previous  1  2

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 12:58 pm
Your mother can consult her own rav, and she doesn't necessarily need to share this with your father, and if or if not she is fasting.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 1:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm wondering what other reasons besides pregnancy or nursing would cause a Rav to give a heter not to fast Tisha B'Av- a) this year when it's a nidcheh, and b) in general when it's not a nidcheh.

I'm asking because my mother has an autoimmune disorder. She has fasted TB the last number of years, and is always severely set back the day after. Every few months, she has bouts of vomiting and needs to take off a few days from work. My father is very rigid about fasting and refuses to ask any Rav other than his own, who is very machmir about fasting in general.
. Your Mom should ask her Dr his opinion and then ask the Rav. I drink water on YK and Tishabav for medical reasons. My Rav told me how to it halachically. ( I was told to drink 1 once of water every 15 minutes).

amother
Black

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 1:17 pm
I have health issues and can never fast again. It feels weird when everyone else around is fasting.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 1:23 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
I have health issues and can never fast again. It feels weird when everyone else around is fasting.
. I have been drinking water a few years now due to a medical issue. I felt weird and guilty the first year I did this. I am older so many people my age must take meds and some must modify their fast.

Gerbera

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 1:29 pm
I think it's time to ask a different rabbi. I don't believe GD wants your mother putting her health at risk. I have an autoimmune disorder too and there's absolutely no way that my husband's personal stringencies - if he had them - would in any way have anything to do with ME fasting. That's between me and GD and nothing to do with a spouse. She needs to stand up and take care of herself!!

And ppl who are feeling guilty about not fasting - why?? GD doesn't want you to suffer!! That's not what life is about!

Supermom#1

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 7:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm wondering what other reasons besides pregnancy or nursing would cause a Rav to give a heter not to fast Tisha B'Av- a) this year when it's a nidcheh, and b) in general when it's not a nidcheh.

I'm asking because my mother has an autoimmune disorder. She has fasted TB the last number of years, and is always severely set back the day after. Every few months, she has bouts of vomiting and needs to take off a few days from work. My father is very rigid about fasting and refuses to ask any Rav other than his own, who is very machmir about fasting in general.

I know that you didn't specify the type of autoimmune disorder, but what you're describing sounds like diabetes. FASTING CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS. only a Rav who is knowledgable about the intricacies of diabetes should be consulted. The psak that I got is that a diabetic is not allowed to fast, but is allowed to attempt to fast on Yom Kippur only. (with precise instructions and preparations, of course)

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 7:55 pm
Supermom#1 wrote:
I know that you didn't specify the type of autoimmune disorder, but what you're describing sounds like diabetes. FASTING CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS. only a Rav who is knowledgable about the intricacies of diabetes should be consulted. The psak that I got is that a diabetic is not allowed to fast, but is allowed to attempt to fast on Yom Kippur only. (with precise instructions and preparations, of course)

It doesn't need to be diabetes.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 8:09 pm
I have a sister who has a lifelong disease, and we noticed that after every fast she was really sick for a few days. Her rav told her she is never allowed to fast again.

I was told not to fast one Tisha Bav when I was recovering from an illness.

Op, it's really important for your mother to speak to her doctor and rav and see what they say.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 10:53 pm
Eating disorder recovery and told not to fast.

I agree with others- your mother should find her own rabbi to ask. I'm sorry she is in this position :-/

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 12:14 am
I have a heter not to fast but do the following so that I can as much as possible. I take salt pills before the fast with lists of water. I sleep as late as humanly possible, and at the firstsign of a headache I drink until the headache goes away. I don’t geberakky eat food, the water is the ket

Amalia

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 4:14 pm
andrea levy wrote:
I have a heter not to fast but do the following so that I can as much as possible. I take salt pills before the fast with lists of water. I sleep as late as humanly possible, and at the firstsign of a headache I drink until the headache goes away. I don’t geberakky eat food, the water is the ket

What are salt pills? Where do you get them?

Thank you

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 5:22 pm
I know someone who only fasts Yom Kippur because after fasts their depression gets worse

hillary

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:04 pm
I only fast yom Kippur because I get extremely dehydrated and sick from fasting. It takes me a full 3 - 4 wks to recover, and that long to be able to eat normally again. I have no medical issues at all and have tried every trick in the book to be able to fast easier. If anyone has a tip that I haven't heard...

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:54 pm
andrea levy wrote:

Never heard of salt pills, but I always found the advice to not eat salty items odd..don't you WANT to retain water before a fast? Not fast related, but whenever it's boiling hot outside, I don't just drink, I eat a pickle. That prevents dehydration headache.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note