Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Starting early - camp for next summer
Previous  1  2

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 12:04 pm
My 11 year old is in Camp Dina for the whole summer and she's having a blast! She went last summer for 1 month and some of her friends already went the year before that. I guess there are different norms for different areas. It's a very warm and leibadic camp. The majority of the girls are from Teaneck and the 5 Towns, but they have plenty of girls from outside of the tristate area.

I've considered Shoshanim because it sounds ideal for my daughter but it's a lot more expensive and none of her friends go there.

Just to clarify, Dora Golding is a boys camp, but Camp Dina is under the same ownership.

ETA: You're not actually starting so early. A lot of the camps open registration at the end of the summer and they fill up really quickly.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 3:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know it’s quite early, but my ten year old daughter and her friends are already starting to talk about which camp they want to go to next summer. We live in Jackson, not yeshivish, but I want something less OOT and maybe nicer than Sternberg. I’m clueless about camps, having been to camp over twenty years ago. What camps would you recommend I look into?

I’m just wondering not bashing anyone. Why do some people prefer less OOT camp?

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 3:56 pm
I missed the less oot part.
Then probably RAninu. Very in town not yeshivish camp.

I heard binoseinu compared to sternberg - sternberg is much more oot crowd with more diversity.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:01 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
I’m just wondering not bashing anyone. Why do some people prefer less OOT camp?

That’s like asking why someone would prefer a less in town camp.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:06 pm
Hi, it's the Camp Dina mom from above. This is the camp website. You can take a look at the videos and pictures to get a feel for the camp if you're interested.

http://www.campdina.com/

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That’s like asking why someone would prefer a less in town camp.

Not really because a less in town camp would conote to most people less into gashmius and usually more friendly welcoming girls. So it's unusual that someone would ask for a place that is specifically into gashmius, if that's the reason you're asking. Not saying you can't ask for it but I don't think you can equate the questions.

Edited to add a suggestion - My sisters and I have gone to a bunch of places and to me it sounds like Maraava would be the best fit for you.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:26 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Not really because a less in town camp would conote to most people less into gashmius and usually more friendly welcoming girls. So it's unusual that someone would ask for a place that is specifically into gashmius, if that's the reason you're asking. Not saying you can't ask for it but I don't think you can equate the questions.

Edited to add a suggestion - My sisters and I have gone to a bunch of places and to me it sounds like Maraava would be the best fit for you.

Is that Bnos Maarava in Indiana?

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is that Bnos Maarava in Indiana?

Yeah. I could be wrong but I feel that Camp Dina attracts girls that are just as oot but a drop more modern than the classic Sternberg girl and has a nicer campus.

Most newer camps I think attract a more yeshivish crowd (totally my opnion) - think Ohr Chedva type.

Maybe Chaviva? It depends on the year though. I only went as a TC camper and it was not yeshivish but it could be the younger crowd is.

I had a sister in Maarava who loved loved loved it and she's totally not yeshivish. I can ask her specific questions if you want.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 8:24 pm
Camp Lehava

amother
Green

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:03 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:

I’m a bt and I asked it very sincerely. Why would op prefer less oot. I assume it’s not because it’s more gashmius or maybe in a way it is because of that. Idk. Why would she prefer it. Is it because it is more familiar for her dd?

amother
Green

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 2:05 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
I’m a bt and I asked it very sincerely. Why would op prefer less oot. I assume it’s not because it’s more gashmius or maybe in a way it is because of that. Idk. Why would she prefer it. Is it because it is more familiar for her dd?

Anyone care to enlighten me? Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 2:13 pm
I don’t get why this is a question. We fit in better with a more in town crowd, and yes why shouldn’t my daughter feel comfortable?

amother
Green

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 2:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don’t get why this is a question. We fit in better with a more in town crowd, and yes why shouldn’t my daughter feel comfortable?

Thank you. I didn’t understand why. Now I understand and it makes sense. I said originally I’m not bashing. Thank you for answering

erm

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 11:24 pm
My daughter loves Ohr Chedva. The grounds are well kept and spotless. It is a small camp where everyone knows each other. The atmosphere is laid back and relaxed. She has been going there for the last few years.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children