Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How do I save this birthday party?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 8:01 pm
DDalmost 9 is having her birthday party this week but due to her tiny OOT class size and some friends on vacation there are only 8 girls coming. Only 3 of whom are actually her friends, the rest are her younger siblings and siblings of the guests. (DD chose to have the party on her birthday instead of postponing it to when more friends can come). How can I make it fun and special for everyone? We are doing it at home. Thanks.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 8:03 pm
It's so much fun when it's a small crowd!
Get plaster moulds and paint and let them have a paint party!

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 8:04 pm
What do you have planned as of now? Do you have any family nearby or family friends you can invite so there are more ppl?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 9:45 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It's so much fun when it's a small crowd!
Get plaster moulds and paint and let them have a paint party!

That’s an idea!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 9:46 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
What do you have planned as of now? Do you have any family nearby or family friends you can invite so there are more ppl?

No family nearby. We are friends with everyone in the community but there are no more girls my daughter’s age. So far planning a cupcake decorating activity and some games.

Jewishfoodie

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 9:54 pm
These actually turn out to be the best parties!

Buy white tshirts and let them tye dye (real simple kits) or just decorate them, and set up a cool self serve ice cream table with kid friendly toppings..M&Ms, cookie crumbs, sprinkles...

Do they make pinatas filled with kosher candy? Ot just fill one.

Your goal is to just make it unforgettable. Not expensive. Sweet goodie bags to take home and viola! Its a party!

Maybe let the decorate a white sheet cake and buy premade icing...anything!

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jul 29 2019, 9:56 pm
What does your daughter like to do? Have you asked her what she would like at her party?

There are lots of options depending on how much you want to spend and if you want to bring in outside entertainment. With fewer kids, you can spend more money per kid and do something different and unique.

There was a poster a while back who specializes in party ideas. She was thinking about starting a business. Maybe she can come up with something fun and creative for a smaller crowd.

One fun idea for food is make your own pizza. You can have mini pizza doughs, toppings, sauce, cheese, etc.

If you post more about what types of things your daughter likes, perhaps people will have some good suggestions.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 3:57 am
Can you access a swimming pool and have a pool party? We don't have a pool but my son wanted a water party so we got lots of water guns and water balloons and I told everyone to bring spare clothing. Then we changed and ate and played some party games.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 6:45 am
We only do small birthday parties.

My boys love science and wanted science birthday parties. When we lived in a tiny apartment we didn't have room for many kids. We let them pick 5-6 friends and that was it. Now that we have a bigger space we still keep it small. The parties are very hands on and would be a disaster with too many kids and not enough adults to help with the experiments.

And the parties are a blast. We've had parents come back to us and tell us their sons said it was the best party they ever attended.

Just make it fun and don't worry about the size of the party.

naomi2

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 6:55 am
Can you rent a giant blow up water slide they can play water games outside, eat pizza and cake.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 7:06 am
Thanks for the great ideas, everyone.

miami85

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 7:46 am
I can certainly empathize. I'm a "late summer birthday"--during that week between camp and school, no one is home because they are going on that "last licks of summer" family trip, or they are "getting back next week" or even WE were away etc. It's hard. My birthday parties were rarely on my birthday. Sometimes it was a school birthday acknowledgement before the summer. Sometimes it was a small party with a handful of friends. Even my bas mitzvah was postponed to be on sukkos b/c that's what was convenient for family.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 7:52 am
miami85 wrote:
I can certainly empathize. I'm a "late summer birthday"--during that week between camp and school, no one is home because they are going on that "last licks of summer" family trip, or they are "getting back next week" or even WE were away etc. It's hard. My birthday parties were rarely on my birthday. Sometimes it was a school birthday acknowledgement before the summer. Sometimes it was a small party with a handful of friends. Even my bas mitzvah was postponed to be on sukkos b/c that's what was convenient for family.

That sounds hard - I hope your childhood was otherwise great! I told DD we will try it this year (because that’s what she wanted) and she can always try a later celebration next year if she prefers.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 3:36 am
My dd has had less. It was always very nice

I never had classmates there because I'm from July - so what? I loved my bdays

imasinger

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 3:51 am
With a small group, you can also consider outings. I took a similar sized group to a children's museum (used public transportation) when one DD turned 9. When we came back, we made our own pizza, then had a sleepover.

DVOM

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 4:28 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
We only do small birthday parties.

My boys love science and wanted science birthday parties. When we lived in a tiny apartment we didn't have room for many kids. We let them pick 5-6 friends and that was it. Now that we have a bigger space we still keep it small. The parties are very hands on and would be a disaster with too many kids and not enough adults to help with the experiments.

And the parties are a blast. We've had parents come back to us and tell us their sons said it was the best party they ever attended.

Just make it fun and don't worry about the size of the party.

Us too! I have four boys, and can only handle about 5 more on top of that. Add a neighbor or 2... 10 is the max guest list I can cope with at once.

We've done water races, a pool party, a crafting party where we made bows and arrows and quivvers, we've had a trampoline party.... Small partys are the best!

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 4:53 am
Along the lines of the other posters, I had craft papers. Michael's had discount kits near the registers. We did a bunch if craft stations. There was button making, magnet making, beads you iron, friendship bracelets, candle making. The girls had a blast. Make sure you have some organized games. Jump rope went over big at that age.

erm

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 7:12 am
All but one of my kids have birthdays in the summer. We usually just have a few of their cousins over for pizza or a barbecue. I prepare a craft to do with everyone. It turns out great fun each time.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 7:21 am
Do you have a backyard?

Tell the kids to bring a change of clothes, and have water balloon fights/games. https://www.amazon.com/WATER-B.....psc=1

Add other outdoor games, like relay races, then make your own sundae.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 11:55 am
OP here - thanks for all the help. Party went great BH! We did cupcake decorating, pass the parcel, musical bumps, musical statues, the minute game - basically everything I remembered from my childhood, plus a light supper and cake. It filled up the two hours well and the small number of kids was much easier for me and my husband to manage. And BH my daughter had fun which was the main goal!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children