Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Where is your laundry room?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 1:35 pm
I'm adding on to my house and would appreciate opinions, even though my mind is pretty much made up already LOL It's always good to see if there's any reasons that I haven't thought of!

I like having my laundry room on the main floor. Everyone (and I do mean EVERYONE) is trying to persuade me that it's way better to have it upstairs, with the bedrooms. It's currently downstairs. Don't worry, I won't put it upstairs just because of peer pressure!

Why I want it downstairs: I work from home. I like having the laundry (currently in a closet) on the main floor because that's where I am most of the day, I don't have to worry about forgetting about a load, I can just throw it in and out of machines as I go about my business, and the noise won't wake up the kids. A laundry chute would be nice, but I'd still have to shlep it back upstairs. And I want to have all cleaning supplies in the laundry room, so it's a broom closet too.

Why it would be nice upstairs: no more shlepping up and down (except kitchen towels, shmattas, and guest linens, which will be downstairs, as well as snowy winter stuff and summer swimming stuff). Don't have to run down for kids' (and my!) stuff when they need it first thing in the morning and it's still hanging in the laundry room.

Am I missing something? Where is your laundry room and why do/don't you like it?

Thank you!

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 1:42 pm
If you have room for a laundry room downstairs and a 2nd laundry closet with stackable upstairs, that would be my ideal. Very Happy

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 1:43 pm
Mine is upstairs.
I built my house and BH both got to design and have plenty of space. My laundry room is off the hallway, but between my master bath and kids bath. It kept the water lines all in place which positively impacted costs and the sound is insulated by the bathrooms so nobody hears the machine when I run it at night.
Also, I imagine you know, whether you do the first floor or upstairs, to have them put a drain in the floor incase it ever overflows.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 1:45 pm
My laundry room is on my main floor, right next to my kitchen, and I love it there.

Like you, I work from home. I often bring down a load in the morning and put it in....put it in the dryer or hang up stuff that doesn't go in the dryer somewhere during the day....and I also manage to get it folded at some point. Later on, it goes upstairs with me to be put away.

I think if my laundry room were upstairs, it would be much harder for me. True, the bedrooms are upstairs, but I spend much more time downstairs.

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 1:50 pm
I know you really had in mind a house but couldn't resist answering anyways Very Happy
I'm in an aptartment building. The machines are four floors down
Reasons I like it -
I can do up to ten loads at once (there are ten machines) so in 45 minutes I have all my laundry for the week done which is great
The elevator goes straight down - so I don't need to carry the stuff up or down stairs - just roll the laundry basket

Reasons I don't like it
Someone else needs to be home or I need to shelp my children along (so I usually only do laundry at night when dh is home)
Sometimes things get lost or mixed with other people's stuff
If something needs to go in right away (and can't wait for the weekly wash) it's a pain to have to go all the way down to do it.
Sometimes (hardly ever though) I go down and there are not enough available machines

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 1:56 pm
My laundry room is far from the bedrooms. Everyone got trained early to bring their dirty clothes to the laundry room and separate into hampers. Anything that doesn't go in the dryer goes into mesh bags before going in the hampers.

Laundry is folded in the dining room during the week and clothes are distributed by the children to the bedrooms.

I like it far away because of the noise and because the work area is away from the bedrooms.

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 2:05 pm
I have my laundry room in the basement.

Pros:

-Room for large side by side machines. I don't like front loaders.
-Extra space so I have shelves for supplies, rods for hanging things to dry, and room for drying racks as well as an ironing board
-The machines make noise but they're far enough from the bedrooms that they don't bother anyone
-I can do laundry at any time of day or night without disturbing anyone

Cons:

-Every load needs to be schlepped up and down. DH helps though, plus it's good exercise for me.
-Nope, that's it, just the schlepping.

happy12

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 2:12 pm
One upstairs in a closet. One in the basement in a laundry room.

Nechamie

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 2:17 pm
Laundry room is upstairs. I love it. No shlepping. Right near bedrooms and bathrooms. My laundry room has doors that close and blocks out noise. I am a morning person and do most of the laundry way before anyone wakes up. I love that I can stay in pjs, no need to come down and face jet lagged guests who sleep in the downstairs guest room...It probably is a personal decision..

saralem

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 3:39 pm
Upstairs! Close to the bedrooms and the linen closet. No shlepping. Totally love it!

mha3484

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 3:50 pm
I have mine in the basement. I have thought about putting it on the main level but I worry about flooding. My husband works from home and we plan on making him an office in the basement in the next few years so he can switch the laundry during the day.

Also I have a laundry chute so dirty laundry is out of sight until it gets washed and put away.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 4:13 pm
I have my bedrooms and living area on the same floor with a lower level for guest room, playroom, family room. Originally the laundry was on the lower level, but I moved it up to the main floor even though I have way less space there. Machines are now in a closet and I have no designated space to fold/hang. Iy"H one day we'll extend and the first thing on the list is to expand for a full laundry room.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 4:20 pm
We live in an apt so it's a whole different situation. It happens to be in the hallway between my bedroom and bathroom, which I love. But my favorite part is that it's also right next to the living room so it's easy to toss in or move a load while playing with kids. Think about where you're most likely to be at the point it's time to put in /move laundry and put it there to make the least disruption.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 4:21 pm
Thanks everyone!
I technically have room to put a full laundry room with hanging space and a sink on either level. No basement. Two rooms sounds amazing LOL but that’s not happening (at least not now!).
I think I’m going to stick with it downstairs. I have a feeling I’ll constantly forget about loads if they’re upstairs during the day.
Thanks for the input!

normal1

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 4:28 pm
I live on first floor and basement. I have a machine off my master bedroom and one in the basement in Passover kitchen area. I fold laundry in my bedroom or on the Passover counters. I can’t fathom the concept of folding laundry including undergarments by the dining room table or kitchen, that would gross me out.

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 4:57 pm
Basement and like it. I don’t like seeing laundry unless I am doing it. I have a big laundry room and drying racks and it get folded there. Question for everyone who said they have it upstairs... is it a room or a closet?

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 5:10 pm
Ours is in the basement. It's good exercise.

Ultimately I plan to have a washer/dryer — and a master bedroom — on the main level.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 5:40 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Basement and like it. I don’t like seeing laundry unless I am doing it. I have a big laundry room and drying racks and it get folded there. Question for everyone who said they have it upstairs... is it a room or a closet?

In our apt its a corner in the hallway. It's a pretty wide hallway that just leads to the bathroom. We have a washer, a set of sorting hampers with a drying rack above it, and a dryer with storage shelves on top. Clean laundry goes into a basket that either sits on the floor next to the dryer or goes into a bedroom to fold.

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 5:43 pm
Ours is also by the bedrooms and I like it. But you know what works for your life so listen to yourself I would say.

cozyblanket

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 6:20 pm
I like mine near the kitchen and playroom. I can switch loads and work on it while watching the kids.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry