Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Leave out cocoa in Hershey's choc cake to make vanilla cake?

mochacoffee

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 4:29 pm
I want to make a good vanilla or yellow sponge cake that's simple, one bowl, and doesn't require separating eggs. The few recipes I tried didn't come out the way I liked. The texture and consistency of the Hershey's chocolate cake always comes out moist and light because of the extra hot water added in at the end.

Do you think if I make this recipe but skip the cocoa and add more vanilla, it'll come out a a moist yellow sponge cake? I wonder what will happen when it's baking if it's missing that cocoa powder, maybe it would change the chemistry of the recipe.

Advice?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 4:30 pm
It wouldn't work because the cocoa acts as a binder/thickener as well and would need to replaced with some flour though I don't know how much.

agreer

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 4:37 pm
Why would you get a yellow cake if you skip out the cocoa? I would imagine it would be white.

I'd try adding vanilla pudding mix instead of the cocoa to act as a binder/thickener like ra-mom said.

Teomima

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 5:52 pm
I did basically this not long ago. I can't remember what I did precisely, but the adjustments were more involved than just leaving out the cocoa. I think what I did was replace the cocoa with corn starch and vanilla pudding mix, and replaced some of the water the recipe calls for (I never bother boiling the water for that recipe, anyways) with orange juice (the vanilla alone wouldn't be enough to flavor the cake). It turned out okay, definitely moist, but I'm still on the hunt for the perfect simple vanilla cake.

Plonis

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 6:12 pm
https://www.cakecentral.com/fo.....-cake
That link explains why it wouldn't work. Also from there:

Originally Posted by MimiFix

I have a wonderful yellow, all-butter cake that I'd used for years. But I really loved my poppy seed cake which was super easy, made with oil, and very moist. I turned it into a yellow cake and now it's the only one I use.

Yellow Cake

3 large eggs
1 cup oil
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1¼ cups buttermilk (sub with 1 1/4 tbsp lemon juice, fill rest with soy/almond milk, let sit 10 min)
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease pan(s).
2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, oil, sugar, extract, and buttermilk.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and mix well.
4. Pour into a greased bundt pan (or ring cake; also makes 2 medium loaf pans, or 9x13) and bake for 40-60 minutes, depending upon size of pan. Cake is ready when it pulls away from the sides of the pan, has a split along the top (if making loaf), and passes the toothpick test (in accordance with the federal no-cake-left-behind rule). Cool at least 10 minutes before removing from pan.

mochacoffee

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 4:04 pm
Update
I tried the Hershey's chocolate cake recipe without the cocoa and put one packet of vanilla pudding mix instead. I measured the pudding mix which came out to a drop under 3/4 of a cup which is how much cocoa the original recipe calls for.

The cake tastes delicious, and it's definitely moist, but it's not as airy as the chocolate version. It's a little too moist and a little denser than the chocolate cake. I used chocolate frosting on the top so it tastes good but it's heavier than what I was looking for.

I'm looking for that light, airy, spongy white/yellow sponge cake that's inside birthday cakes, this didn't come out like that.

studying_torah

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 4:20 pm
Try using cake flour instead & sift it well into the cake. Makes the cakes lighter.
I'm not sure really that yellow cakes are light in texture- at least none that I found.
Why not make an angel food, or sponge cake instead?

cbg

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 4:49 pm
Sorry to bust everyone’s bubble but the best vanilla/yellow cakes are Dunkin Hines

shanie5

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 12:50 am
cbg wrote:
Sorry to bust everyone’s bubble but the best vanilla/yellow cakes are Dunkin Hines

No,no,no,no,no,no,no and YUCK.
Sorry, duncan hines cakes can never compare to cakes from scratch!
(Duncan Hines brownie mix IS the best though)

agreer

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 1:52 am
shanie5 wrote:

AGREE! Duncan Hines cake tastes like the box it came out of.

(Brownies are okay, but yellow cake? oh, heck no!)

EsaEinai

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 2:00 am
shanie5 wrote:

Another vote for Duncan Hines as the #1 brownie recipe. I made my sister a pan one week and she called me up saying it was so good she needs the recipe. I just laughed. Gotta love Duncan Hines brownies!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins