Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Is it possible to make a hamburger in the cholent

artsy

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 11:52 am
Does anyone do this?
Make a raw hamburger and put on top of cholent?
When do you put it in?
Does it have to be under the liquid?
Does it end up falling aparT?

Jewishfoodie

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 11:54 am
Think of sloppy Joe. Surely!

Jewishfoodie

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 11:55 am
It's chopped up into small pieces. You can't put huge chunks. Salt it and add to chulent and then mix it around with a fork so it distributes evenly. Anything goes..

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 11:57 am
Should be fine but don't expect it tp taste regular. Sear for a minute on each side before putting in it so the outer layer of ground meat doesn't separate around the cholent.

BatyaEsther

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 11:57 am
It would probably fall apart. I put my kiskha in a chullent bag in the chullent so that it doesn't get mixed in.
You could probably do that or maybe wrap in parchment paper and put them on the top.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 12:24 pm
I would bake/broil the burger before shabbos, refrigerate, and just put it wrapped in foil on top of the lid of cholent pot shabbos morning to warm.

ladYdI

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 1:02 pm
You can def make it into balls and cook like meatballs

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 1:09 pm
I went somewhere where they did this with ground chicken or turkey. It was dreadful. Dried out like saw dust. Maybe beef would do better with higher fat content, but I think better to do as Ra-mom said.

DVOM

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 1:11 pm
We've done it. Season the meat, mix with an egg to keep it together, add to top of chulant, pour some BBQ sauce on top, it usually doesn't desolve and tastes delish!

Jewishfoodie

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 1:55 pm
It's not like chicken or turkey OP. They dry out after an hour. Meat is a whole different animal. And just think of tacos. It's ground beef, seasoned. It can cook forever. It will absorb the flavors well. I mean it. Meatalls aren't a necessary step in a chulent. Just take the ground meat, either sear it or don't, add salt, either add fried onions or don't, and add to chulent. But not in one huge chunk. Trust me. You can even throw in other types of meat that you have leftover. Lamb, tongue, knee bones, giblets... It's all good. Please trust me, it's all a big mush and if your family likes taco meat, it's a no brainer

oliveoil

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 1:57 pm
Beef absolutely can (and does) dry out from overcooking, including ground beef.

Jewishfoodie

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 1:58 pm
DVOM wrote:
We've done it. Season the meat, mix with an egg to keep it together, add to top of chulant, pour some BBQ sauce on top, it usually doesn't desolve and tastes delish!

HI DVOM! The eggs aren't really keeping them together tho. People add eggs because they are binding it with breadcrumbs. Meat can naturally bind, hence pure beef patties.. But eggs can work too, in a chulent, so, have a party! (though I never tried eggs in a chulent since we have some egg sensitive ppl..

Jewishfoodie

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 1:59 pm
oliveoil wrote:
Beef absolutely can (and does) dry out from overcooking, including ground beef.

It's IN A chulent tho. It will still be delicious. You won't have pink meat in your chulent but it will be good. Tried and true!

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 2:00 pm
Jewishfoodie wrote:
It's not like chicken or turkey OP. They dry out after an hour. Meat is a whole different animal. And just think of tacos. It's ground beef, seasoned. It can cook forever. It will absorb the flavors well. I mean it. Meatalls aren't a necessary step in a chulent. Just take the ground meat, either sear it or don't, add salt, either add fried onions or don't, and add to chulent. But not in one huge chunk. Trust me. You can even throw in other types of meat that you have leftover. Lamb, tongue, knee bones, giblets... It's all good. Please trust me, it's all a big mush and if your family likes taco meat, it's a no brainer

Have you actually tried it? It comes out gross.

Jewishfoodie

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 2:03 pm
I'm sorry! I thought the question was "is it possible to use hamburger meat in a chulent". My bad. I don't make hamburgers in chulent, tho I have used ground beef in chulent and it was delicious.

Sorry guys, reading and cooking simultaneously are not my thing. I hear your question now. My answer is IDK! It wasnt me

Forgive me!

oliveoil

Post Fri, Aug 02 2019, 6:56 pm
Jewishfoodie wrote:
It's IN A chulent tho. It will still be delicious. You won't have pink meat in your chulent but it will be good. Tried and true!

Meat can dry out even when cooked in liquid.

csfm

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 12:51 am
BatyaEsther wrote:
It would probably fall apart. I put my kiskha in a chullent bag in the chullent so that it doesn't get mixed in.
You could probably do that or maybe wrap in parchment paper and put them on the top.

What is a chullent bag, please? My kishka is sometimes dry and sometimes gets too dark on top--would that help? Thanks in advance.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus