Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is healthy snacks possible for working women on a budget??

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 03 2019, 6:36 pm
I read a book about obesity which basically all about diet bec. Even kids who do exercise or restrict calories are not losimg weight.

Why? Bevause he says its about what we eat causing spikes in hormones insulin which cause......he makes sense

BUT I REALIZED ALMOST ALL SNACKS ARE UNHEALTHY. He says procesed foods are bad bec of the bad carbs, no fiber, and added chemicals.

Great!! I know that I shld be givimg my kids celery cut up or apples or broccli for snacks but who really has time for that?? And I cant afford precut and cant afford so much enough for all my kids to eat and be full enough.

Even in my dds school, where they outlawed cookies...unhealthy snacks, many kids are eating crackers, super snacks, granola bars which may seem healthier but are still filled with chemicals, added sugars....

Im stuck...what do you do??

Im realizing that a lot of my dishes includes pasta or brown rice which is still unhealthy bec all the extra carbs which the book explains turns into sugars...but the healthy foods without carbs like vegetables, eggs, fish, meat alone does not fill my kids up.

I definitely will make more of an effort to focus more on beans lentils chick peas ...which has more fiber but I do give bread for lunch ...I will also try to have more vegetables at night(which most of my kids like (without dressing)) to be healthier

Pls share ur experience as my kuds are already only water drinkers at home...do ur kids need carbs to fill up?? Are u serving pastas and bread for lunch..

Im concerned more about diabetes prevention than obesity bec diabetes runs in my family and I have an insulin issue and I was raised on mostly pasta, breads...poor mans food(not as healthy)...

watergirl

Post Sat, Aug 03 2019, 6:46 pm
Working mom on a budget here - why do you have to cut up apples? Wash an apple. Pack in lunch. Done. Also, string cheese, yogurt, raisins, clementine, etc. all healthy and all affordable.

amother
Gray

Post Sat, Aug 03 2019, 6:52 pm
Kudos to you for even caring about this. My issue isn't so much time, it's peer pressure. There's no way my kids are eating apples and celery sticks for school snack while the rest of the kids are eating pretzels, potato chips and super snacks. They like these foods, and will eat them fine at home, but they still end up craving carbs because carbs are addictive. And as long as they're getting them at school and friends, they're gonna want them at home too.

There is a snack made of chickpea flour that tastes really good https://www.amazon.com/HIPPEAS.....;th=1

for fruits and veggies, grapes and stone fruits can go as is. persian cucumbers and grape tomatoes, baby carrots work well. you can get individual hummus cups (guacamole too). Dark chocolate is a good low carb treat.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sat, Aug 03 2019, 6:52 pm
What about little carrots with mini chumus container. Sometimes you can get a whole pack of mini chumus on sale. It has protein and fiber!

pesek zman

Post Sat, Aug 03 2019, 7:09 pm
I think moderation is key.

amother
Orange

Post Sat, Aug 03 2019, 7:39 pm
Op, are your kids obese, or even over weight
What health concerns do they have

You can make low carb breads in bulk, but will they eat it?

Wraps are lower in carb because they weigh less than bread, and there are low carb wraps

As far as snacks I think they can pick one carby snack of there choosing, one veg, one fruit
Ex- tuna in a wrap
Baby carrots
Apple
Popcorn

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Aug 03 2019, 8:27 pm
Please do not restrict your kids carb intake without the input of a professional. Not a book, a real person who has the credentials to make recommendations on kids diets.

That said, of course all those snacks are unhealthy and unnecessary. I don't know how many kids you have, but it literally doesn't take more than 1 minute to slice an apple. You can even buy an apple slicer/corer if you want to cut that time down to ten seconds. My kids like melon for snack. I don't buy precut, I slice it myself. It takes maybe five minutes and it's enough for a bunch of people. They also like dips like chumus and guacamole. Baby carrots are not expensive and take no work. My kids like bringing pickles too.

You're not going to find a magical world of food that is cheap, healthy and requires no preparation. The reason processed foods are so attractive is because someone is doing all the prep work for you. Lots of fruits and vegetables can be eaten with minimal to no prep work. Beyond that, you'll have to put in some time or more money to prepare healthy meals.

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, Aug 03 2019, 8:33 pm
Grapes are fun to eat

Nuts

Dried fruit

Baby carrots

Baby corn

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Aug 03 2019, 8:40 pm
Here's my take.
If your drive yourself crazy, it will eventually backfire. Instead make small, consistent changes.
Whole wheat bread is fine. Pair with proteins and veg/fruit.
Rice for dinner is good for growing kids. Serve with protein and vegetable side. Healthy snacks can be cheese, yogurt, hummus or guacamole or nut butter on whole wheat flatbread, grapes (sliced if for little kids) , nuts, sliced apple (buy an apple corer for quick slicing, baby carrots, blueberries.

oliveoil

Post Sat, Aug 03 2019, 8:50 pm
People - especially growing kids and teens - need carbs.

Carbs are not the big evil. Yes, you don't want to be eating solely white bread and white pasta and white rice, but you do not need to (and should not) eliminate all carbs either.

Please don't read ANY one book and base all your nutritional decisions off that. Read up, research, speak to people, educate yourself all around, and then decide which things you want to emphasize.

honeymoon

Post Sat, Aug 03 2019, 9:00 pm
oliveoil wrote:
People - especially growing kids and teens - need carbs.

Carbs are not the big evil. Yes, you don't want to be eating solely white bread and white pasta and white rice, but you do not need to (and should not) eliminate all carbs either.

Please don't read ANY one book and base all your nutritional decisions off that. Read up, research, speak to people, educate yourself all around, and then decide which things you want to emphasize.

Carbs is a very general term. You need to differentiate between complex carbs and simple carbs. complex carbs like whole grains, brown rice and barley are good for you and you should not cut them out completely. Simple carbs on the other hand, have zero nutritional value and cutting them out of your diet is actually a good idea.

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Aug 03 2019, 10:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I read a book about obesity which basically all about diet bec. Even kids who do exercise or restrict calories are not losimg weight.

Why? Bevause he says its about what we eat causing spikes in hormones insulin which cause......he makes sense

BUT I REALIZED ALMOST ALL SNACKS ARE UNHEALTHY. He says procesed foods are bad bec of the bad carbs, no fiber, and added chemicals.

Great!! I know that I shld be givimg my kids celery cut up or apples or broccli for snacks but who really has time for that?? And I cant afford precut and cant afford so much enough for all my kids to eat and be full enough.

Even in my dds school, where they outlawed cookies...unhealthy snacks, many kids are eating crackers, super snacks, granola bars which may seem healthier but are still filled with chemicals, added sugars....

Im stuck...what do you do??

Im realizing that a lot of my dishes includes pasta or brown rice which is still unhealthy bec all the extra carbs which the book explains turns into sugars...but the healthy foods without carbs like vegetables, eggs, fish, meat alone does not fill my kids up.

I definitely will make more of an effort to focus more on beans lentils chick peas ...which has more fiber but I do give bread for lunch ...I will also try to have more vegetables at night(which most of my kids like (without dressing)) to be healthier

Pls share ur experience as my kuds are already only water drinkers at home...do ur kids need carbs to fill up?? Are u serving pastas and bread for lunch..

Im concerned more about diabetes prevention than obesity bec diabetes runs in my family and I have an insulin issue and I was raised on mostly pasta, breads...poor mans food(not as healthy)...

I'm curious what the name of the book is? I would like to read more on this topic

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 03 2019, 10:59 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
I'm curious what the name of the book is? I would like to read more on this topic

The obesity code unlocking the secret of weight loss by dr jason fung

He also wrote a book about diabetes....he is basically "challenging" the old"" approach of low fat high carb and disagrees and also disagrees about how they treat diabetes and says he has a cure for diabetes(ppl who are obese usually get diabetes but some thin"" ppl too)

Its fascinating...especially bec ADA and others are linked to drug companies so they are biased

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 03 2019, 11:05 pm
honeymoon wrote:
Carbs is a very general term. You need to differentiate between complex carbs and simple carbs. complex carbs like whole grains, brown rice and barley are good for you and you should not cut them out completely. Simple carbs on the other hand, have zero nutritional value and cutting them out of your diet is actually a good idea.

I agree with u....dr fung points out about the damage of carbs in PROCESSED FOODS which is what im talkjng about because most foods are processed with a lot of toxins...

Yes, im going to focus more on legumes that have carbs but also have more fiber but its easier to make pasta and send a sandwhich....

Some vegetables also have carbs like sweet potato and ....but they also have fiber and I want to try to include more raw unprocessed healthy carbs that are filled with fiber and other nutrients too....my challenge was with the prep, my budget, and logistics of sending to school which is why I posted

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 03 2019, 11:08 pm
Thanks everyone for posting.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics