Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Would you visit your staff child on visiting day?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 03 2019, 10:26 pm
Would you visit your child that is a staff member on visiting day? Would you go if child is only working half day and what would you do if your child is off?

Violet123

Post Sat, Aug 03 2019, 11:51 pm
Why not?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 1:56 am
I wouldn't drive hundreds no

kakky

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 2:42 am
I would definitely try my best to go.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 4:59 am
Violet123 wrote:
Why not?

I am not sure if its considered nerdy if the staff member has no siblings in camp.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 5:01 am
Staff want to feel loved too. My mother didn’t visit me when I was a staff member and until this day it hurts me. I was still a teen who wanted to feel worthy enough for my mother to see how I’m doing. I was the only person in the entire camp without a visitor that day.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 5:03 am
thunderstorm wrote:
Staff want to feel loved too. My mother didn’t visit me when I was a staff member and until this day it hurts me. I was still a teen who wanted to feel worthy enough for my mother to see how I’m doing. I was the only person in the entire camp without a visitor that day.

Me too.... Can't Believe It

DVOM

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 5:09 am
My parents always visited me when I was a staff member. We always ended up taking a bunch of visitor-less kids back to the bungalow colony with us for the day. Go visit. Your teen will feel that you care for her.

jkw

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 5:11 am
Def go. I got the info too late about one visiting day and found out later that my on staff kids waited all day for us...
Take them to a Walmart and out for a burger.

salt

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 5:13 am
Could you ask her? Can you phone her? Say that you'd love to come and visit her, and would she like that?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 5:14 am
DVOM wrote:
My parents always visited me when I was a staff member. We always ended up taking a bunch of visitor-less kids back to the bungalow colony with us for the day. Go visit. Your teen will feel that you care for her.

We don’t have a bungalow or house in the country.

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 5:53 am
Go visit your kid. Maybe she wants to get off canp grounds. We. Have gone to hike a nearby waterfall and visited other scenic areas, gone for a drive, gone for pizza (which took a long time because everyone one else is going for pizza), gone to a packed Walmart, driven around.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 5:58 am
Yes, we visit staff kids. What could possibly be wrong with spending the day with your teenager?

Dina2018

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 6:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Would you visit your child that is a staff member on visiting day? Would you go if child is only working half day and what would you do if your child is off?

my parents visited me in camp when I was staff but it depends - age, camp and so on

southernbubby

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 6:03 am
Mine were usually not geographically close enough to visit but I would have if I was and if the teen wasn't on duty. I did go a few times when it was a 4 hour drive and the teen had some time off. Not all campers get visitors and staff members are often busy entertaining and supervising those children.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 6:25 am
Like southern bubby said, is she really off today?
What does she want?
I'm not big on sending stuff to camp - we pay enough, send them with enough nosh AND money for the canteen, but maybe you can send a little care package if you don't go. Boosting her mood will make her spread cheer and be a better counselor.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 6:38 am
I guess I'm a bad mom.
I did not go for July visiting day. (she is home now "getting ready for sem")
Nor did I go last summer when she worked there as well. My DD said not to and I took her her at face value.
Does your child have a phone and have you been in communication during the summer? We speak very often, almost daily.
Last summer she went on the "orphan bus" - something she always wanted to do, and she was available to chaperone as she was sports staff and had no responsibilities in camp that day. -It takes the kids who don't have visitors coming, out of camp for fun activities-mini golf/ice cream/movie/amusement park.... to give them a special day and so that they don't see all the other kids with parents.
My DD needed to work much of the day this year and was saying that it was silly for me to shlep up. My sister and SIL were there and she had lunch with them, and I sent up stuff for her with them -not that it was necessary, she and her friends go to Walmart like 2x per week at night after they put their campers to bed.
She told me not to come and I believe that she is glad that I respected her wishes and didn't.

champion

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 6:40 am
Will she miss out on tips if she is not around?

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 9:28 am
It really depends. How big of a pain is it? How much time is she available to spend with you? Does she want you to come? Are there other staff members who also won't have visitors? Can she spend the day with friends?

For me it's 3 hours there and 4 or more hours home. I've done it for campers but wouldn't do it so quickly for staff. A teenager is old enough to understand how hard it is for everyone to spend the day traveling. And I have family we can hang out by, but it's so much harder if you don't have anywhere to be.

A 16+ teenager should be able to spend a month away from home without her parents needing to travel for 6-8 hours round trip to take her to Walmart and wait on line in a pizza shop. If you show her you love her the other 11 months of the year then she will be fine without you for those 4 hours.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 11:01 am
The level of entitlement. Even kids aren't visited in my world.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics