Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Sensory and fine motor skill issues

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 7:53 am
My 7 year old daughter is struggling with:
- Fine motor skill
- Phonological awareness
- sensory integration

She gets help for it in school and they are working with her on it.

What I want to know is what I can do, day to day with her to help. Especially now in the holiday, I want to spend more time with her and work on this issues.
What and how can I do or play to help her. How can I help her at home?

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 8:43 am
Ask her most recent therapists for some ideas. It's hard to give practical tips without knowing her current skill level in each area. But they should easily be able to guide you.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 8:53 am
Is she seeing an OT for her issues? If she is, most OTs will give advice and suggestions for activities that can be done at home, or equally adapt some of the school activities for home.
These should all be things that you can have at home, rather than specialized equipment that costs a lot.

Fine motor skills-there's loads of activities you can do at home, these are just some suggestions-
--threading-depending on her skills will depend on the size of beads-you can get special big needle heads on string for children who struggle with big easy beads to thread
--use a piece of playdoh and stick a raw spaghetti strand up in it(or anything similar) and get her to thread cheerios-you could also use lasso etc and make bracelets or necklaces to eat
--anything that works on the dexterity of her fingers-if you put a cheerio or raisin in her palm, can she manipulate her fingers to get the cheerio into her finger and hold between thumb and first finger?
--use pipe cleaners and get her to thread them through holes in cardboard-or equally pull them out
--clothes pegs are really good-the ones you have to press open-get her to put them onto things and off them-you can clip them on her clothing and make her have to take them off

--all sensory activities are good-play with sand, water, combine the two to make wet sand-kinetic sand is great.
--get a box of different brushes etc-hair brushes, clothes, back scrubbers etc-different feels and so on and brush her with the brushes.
--swings are good for getting awareness of sense in the world, going through tunnels-build your own obstacle course etc

--phonological awareness-do rhymes with her-encourage her to think about the words-make up silly words that rhyme with each other and play around with silly songs etc

Hatzlocha

nechami1

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 9:40 am
I have just been in touch with my daughters therapist regarding this issue. My daughter is highly sensory, she suggested I buy the book called: My Sensory Book: The More I Know About My World, the Better I Will Feel by Lauren H. Kerstein which is a workbook for myself and my daughter to work through.
Not sure if it will help you, hope so though!
Hatslocha

nechami1

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 9:43 am
Also my dh absolutely loves playing with anything gooey, so stuff like creating slime, goo etc all does wonders for them. There are lots of slime making kits you can buy at reasonable prices for them to mess with, and with these sort of things you can add glitter, glue etc etc.
Just be prepared for a bit of a mess afterwards!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)