Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Nachlas Bais Yaakov elementary Lakewood
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 12:22 pm
Do you know anything about nachlas Bais Yaakov in Lakewood? Are people happy there? Who makes up their parent body? What is the level of academics there? What is the focus of the school? Any other info I’d appreciate it. TIA.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 1:07 pm
Im sending there next year so cant answer much about the school. When I was researching the school I found out about the parent body that its very American, mostly couples who the husband learned in kollel for a few years after marriage and a lot of the couples have 1 parent or both from OOT. The are makpid that the men wear white shirts and the internet is filtered ...

mommyfish

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 1:11 pm
They accepted my niece who’s father wears a white shirt but did not accept us because my husband wears colored shirts even though we are frummer than BIL. That being said, they are very very happy there. IMO the school has gotten more Yeshivish the last few years then when it first opened.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 4:49 pm
Thanks for the responses. A mother cobalt, why did you select this school over any others (if you don’t mind to share).

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 5:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the responses. A mother cobalt, why did you select this school over any others (if you don’t mind to share).

I knew there was space and they were looking for people like us. I didnt want to grovel for a place to send my child. Only applied to new schools. Bh it was a good experience...

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 5:12 pm
mommyfish wrote:
They accepted my niece who’s father wears a white shirt but did not accept us because my husband wears colored shirts even though we are frummer than BIL. That being said, they are very very happy there. IMO the school has gotten more Yeshivish the last few years then when it first opened.

I just wanna say...I feel for you. We are very similar. I am so proud that my husband is a frum ehrlich Ben Torah who wears a colored shirt in Lakewood. What you see is what you get. Can only imagine what some people are hiding under their white shirt. Hope you ended up in the best possible school for your daughter!

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 5:16 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
I just wanna say...I feel for you. We are very similar. I am so proud that my husband is a frum ehrlich Ben Torah who wears a colored shirt in Lakewood. What you see is what you get. Can only imagine what some people are hiding under their white shirt. Hope you ended up in the best possible school for your daughter!

Sorry Sad I have a friend exactly like this. She sends now to bnos bracha and shes very very happy...

mommyfish

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 5:26 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Sorry Sad I have a friend exactly like this. She sends now to bnos bracha and shes very very happy...

I wonder if it’s me Smile we are Baruch HaShem in Bnos Brocha and we are thrilled. The school accepted us for who we are. It was actually our first choice and BH we couldn’t be happier.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 6:20 pm
mommyfish wrote:
I wonder if it’s me Smile we are Baruch HaShem in Bnos Brocha and we are thrilled. The school accepted us for who we are. It was actually our first choice and BH we couldn’t be happier.

This isnt directed specifically at you, however I want to point something about because there was a snide remark earlier about what men are hiding under their white shirts..
When dh was starting school after learning in kollel for a year after marriage he went to his rebbi for a bracha and to run by him some shailos that he knew were bound to come up during the year. He mentioned that he had been to orientation and that he must do away with his white shirt because college is so casual he looks like a super odd misfit. His rebbi begged him to keep his hebrew name, his white shirt, his clean language as out forefathers had done in mitzrayim. DH did not see that coming and he was very taken aback by all of it. He didnt want to use his hebrew name or his white shirt!
He followed his rebbis advice even thou it wasnt easy I hope we have bracha in our lives now and will continue to have because of his sacrifice but please dont shmutz everyone in a white shirt as we would never ever shmutz anyone was did otherwise....

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 6:31 pm
I knew there was space and they were looking for people like us. I didnt want to grovel for a place to send my child. Only applied to new schools. Bh it was a good experience...

What type do they try to cater to? Is it a mixture (the parents)? Who runs the school? Is it a warm growing school?

Does anyone else have experience in this school?

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 6:41 pm
Another cobalt, I think we are taking about 2 different things.

You are talking about a man not changing his standards when he goes out to work or school. Your husband’s levush and shem should strengthen him and your family!

I am speaking about a school placing judgement on someone BECAUSE they don’t wear a white shirt. Like another poster said her husband is frummer than her bil who only wears white shirts. Many people use the white shirt as a tool to make themselves look frummer even though they do x, y, and Z. My point was not to Chas vesholom bash people who wear white shirts- But it’s a responsibility! and I don’t think it should be a judgment call for school acceptance when everything else checks out okay.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 6:56 pm
and I don’t think it should be a judgment call for school acceptance when everything else checks out okay.]

Yes you are right. To address this last point, we have no idea what the schools find out ..

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 9:23 pm
I send here. This will be my daughter's 3rd year there.
B"H we are thrilled.
Crowd is mostly "out of town Yeshivish", very wholesome down to Earth warm crowd.
The principal is Suri Smith and the administrators are R. Yanky & Suri Robinson (From camp Chaverim). They are extremely capable people and the school is well run.
It is a very popular school, to give you an idea they only go up to 4th grade this upcoming year but there are going to be 3 parallel classes for primary already... and 1st-3rd have 2 classes. Mrs. Smith has a lot of common sense chinuch wise , has her priorities right and is very warm. All the teachers are top notch... she has recruited some from out of Lakewood and is wiling to go the extra mile to get the best teachers. Some of the English teachers are very young though.
We are very grateful to be at Nachlas and I only hope we can find a boys school we are as happy with Smile
let me know if you have any specific questions.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 8:45 am
Many people use the white shirt as a tool to make themselves look frummer even though they do x, y, and Z.

I don't think of a white shirt as a tool to look frummer. I think of it as a uniform. Usually a guy who wears a white shirt is showing that he identifies with a certain group (yeshivish or chassidish) and has nothing to do with his level of frumkeit.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 9:38 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
I send here. This will be my daughter's 3rd year there.
B"H we are thrilled.
Crowd is mostly "out of town Yeshivish", very wholesome down to Earth warm crowd.
The principal is Suri Smith and the administrators are R. Yanky & Suri Robinson (From camp Chaverim). They are extremely capable people and the school is well run.
It is a very popular school, to give you an idea they only go up to 4th grade this upcoming year but there are going to be 3 parallel classes for primary already... and 1st-3rd have 2 classes. Mrs. Smith has a lot of common sense chinuch wise , has her priorities right and is very warm. All the teachers are top notch... she has recruited some from out of Lakewood and is wiling to go the extra mile to get the best teachers. Some of the English teachers are very young though.
We are very grateful to be at Nachlas and I only hope we can find a boys school we are as happy with Smile
let me know if you have any specific questions.

I’m not OP but thank you so much for the info! I am highly considering.
Would you be able to define OOT Yeshivish a bit more specifically? I’m not sure that I 100% know what that means

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 10:23 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Would you be able to define OOT Yeshivish a bit more specifically? I’m not sure that I 100% know what that means

Same hashkafa as in town without the heavy emphasis on dress/designer stuff...

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 11:00 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
I don't think of a white shirt as a tool to look frummer. I think of it as a uniform. Usually a guy who wears a white shirt is showing that he identifies with a certain group (yeshivish or chassidish) and has nothing to do with his level of frumkeit.

Disagree (for Lakewood). A school wouldn’t be so makpid to only accept white shirted fathers if this was the case.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 11:06 am
Same hashkafa as in town without the heavy emphasis on dress/designer stuff...

What is hashkafa of in town in this case then?

Trying to understand ... so in this case would mean that it’s Lakewood-y kollel -centric hashkafa but crowd isn’t quite with typical Lakewood fashion?

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 11:21 am
What is hashkafa of in town in this case then?

Trying to understand ... so in this case would mean that it’s Lakewood-y kollel -centric hashkafa but crowd isn’t quite with typical Lakewood fashion?

Yes- I wrote earlier most of the fathers of girls in the school learned in kollel after marriage and still wear their white shirts and filter their phones even after going to work...

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 11:35 am

Like PP said, I would consider it yeshivish but not "shticky".
Its not fancy, although some people have money, many of the girls wear sneakers or even natives to school, some girls are wearing the $10 socks and some are wearing the $1 socks, nobody really cares. The principal is from Toronto , the administrators are from Toronto and Baltimore. All the families I know have at least one parent from OOT , but the people who are from in-town are still very down to earth.

When I toured, I asked the principal what percent of the father's were learning. We wanted something in the middle. She said, "I'm not sure, our main focus is on the mother's tznius, not whether the father is in yeshiva."
So while there many father's learning full time, I agree that it's more important that the mother dress appropriately than the father not be working . You will not see mother's at the school wearing stilettos or with sheitels down to their waist.

And I Find the crowd to be very warm and friendly. Every mother I met , I immediately connected with.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics