Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Let kids have their candy.
1  2  Next

chanatron1000

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 1:13 pm
The delight in eating various brightly colored sugary concoctions goes away sometime during adolescence. If you never let them have a taste while they are young, they'll never get a second chance.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 1:17 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
The delight in eating various brightly colored sugary concoctions goes away sometime during adolescence. If you never let them have a taste while they are young, they'll never get a second chance.

Have you ever met any child that never got to taste these things? I didn’t. Even if the parents don’t provide it, they’ve received it from the candy man in shul, their teacher, tutor, rebbe , counselor, neighbor, friend and even doctors office. Then of course there’s the class oneg Shabbos , simchos , Purim and Simchas Torah.

chanatron1000

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 1:19 pm
I'm not sure. I've met young women who insist that their children won't have any.

Stars

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 1:20 pm
Food coloring doesn't live in my house because it grosses me out but you bet my kids have had candy. I don't restrict it from them. Interestingly enough they have very little interest in sweets and cake.

jkl

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 1:23 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
I'm not sure. I've met young women who insist that their children won't have any.

These are mostly the mothers who enforce only healthy snacks for their kids, but are in denial that their kids go around begging others for a taste of their sweets.

Of course the kids will profess innocence to their moms.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 1:23 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:

I know but I’ve seen those same kids be the ones grabbing and hoarding the most nosh at shul functions and from neighbors and friends. I even know someone’s who’s kids used to
give other kids on the block money to secretly go to Oh Nuts and shop for them.

smile12345

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 1:25 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:

Read the chew chew petition thread and you'll see that the delight doesn't go away for many well into adulthood!

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 1:25 pm
Stars wrote:
Food coloring doesn't live in my house because it grosses me out but you bet my kids have had candy. I don't restrict it from them. Interestingly enough they have very little interest in sweets and cake.
very often it’s the actual restriction that makes them feel like they are missing out. There are lots of kids that naturally don’t have a sweet tooth. They are lucky!

tweety1

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 1:29 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I know but I’ve seen those same kids be the ones grabbing and hoarding the most nosh at shul functions and from neighbors and friends. I even know someone’s who’s kids used to
give other kids on the block money to secretly go to Oh Nuts and shop for them.

I was one of those. My mother never ever bought "junk" , colored soda, nosh, only pretzels, popcorn, and plain potato chips. I make it my business to give my kids a nice taste of junk. I hate food coloring. But too bad. I don't want them looking the way I did. I even on occasion bribe them with the most interesting/latest nosh in the store if I'm desperate to get something out of them exp cleaning lady didn't show up erev shabbos etc.

OOTforlife

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 1:29 pm
I don't think I know a single person, whether MO, yeshivish, or Chabad, who forbids their kid all candy across the board. I know a couple of parents who avoid certain categories of candy, many people who limit the number of servings, but no parents who totally ban it.

jkl

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 1:34 pm
tweety1 wrote:
I was one of those. My mother never ever bought "junk" , colored soda, nosh, only pretzels, popcorn, and plain potato chips. I make it my business to give my kids a nice taste of junk. I hate food coloring. But too bad. I don't want them looking the way I did. I even on occasion bribe them with the most interesting/latest nosh in the store if I'm desperate to get something out of them exp cleaning lady didn't show up erev shabbos etc.

I was one of those too, and I too have made it my business to give my kids a nice taste of junk. I can easily tell which of my kids' friends don't get sweets at home. Those are the ones who make a beeline to my 'nosh closet' as soon as they walk in the door.

trixx

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 1:34 pm
jkl wrote:
These are mostly the mothers who enforce only healthy snacks for their kids, but are in denial that their kids go around begging others for a taste of their sweets.

Of course the kids will profess innocence to their moms.

Hi, I'm that mom, but don't worry, bwteen father, bubby's house and school there is plenty of candy and nosh to be found. I'm pretty much the only person who ever says no.

yogabird

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 1:35 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
very often it’s the actual restriction that makes them feel like they are missing out. There are lots of kids that naturally don’t have a sweet tooth. They are lucky!
And some kids constantly crave it no matter how much of it they get.

jkl

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 1:48 pm
trixx wrote:
Hi, I'm that mom, but don't worry, bwteen father, bubby's house and school there is plenty of candy and nosh to be found. I'm pretty much the only person who ever says no.

Would you mind if I ask you a question then? What lessons are you imparting to your kids by always saying no. - As a kid I had attributed the denial of any junk to my mother's meshugas, despite all her health warnings. If all the other kids are eating, and are just fine, and go on to lead apparently happy, healthy lives, then what's the issue of having some. Is my mother the only one that understands that, and all the other mothers are completely clueless?

I never dared mention anything to my mother of course, but I was always sneaking around behind her back.

chanatron1000

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 1:49 pm
yogabird wrote:

When people constantly crave something, they usually don't truly enjoy it when they do have it.

hanna2010

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 2:22 pm
My daughter 11 is an extremely picky and poor eater. All she ever wants is Nosh and candy. Even though I only provide a little she ends up with insane amounts of sugary food and soda. Between school prizes, after school program, friends, shabbos party.
Even on days when there’s no Nosh available she eats very few foods and can totally “forget” to eat. It’s not-that she’s so full of nosh so doesn’t have appetite to eat.
She went to sleep away camp for the first time, with a nice big (“mandatory”!!!) nosh box and canteen money.
While I’m hoping she may Have no choice but learn to eat some camp food, with all the nosh she has she’ll probably just eat it till she gets a stomach ache- which she’s known to do.

Although she’s not my first, I have no clue how to handle it. Tried everything I know, so just letting it go now.

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 2:35 pm
yogabird wrote:

This.

I know my kid does the whole begging for nosh/hiding.
She has plenty at home. More than I'd like. Waaay more.
She just has this insane sweet tooth (sensory) for extreme sweet and extreme salty and spicy.
I get comments all the time like, "does she ever get any sweets?" Or "if you say no all the time she'll always feel deprived"
When I say no lollipop #3 -at grandmas house- in the last 5 minutes, and she's already had 2 more at the doctors office....
And of course no brings on a massive super loud meltdown..... whicj only happens after a sugar overdose....
She's my oldest. My second one is totally not like that.
I often time treat my oldest and not the little. So she ends up with more junk than her sister. She's still not happy with it... her little sister is with less....

But not giving kids nosh at all is actually mean. But whatever. To each their own.

trixx

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 2:53 pm
jkl wrote:
Would you mind if I ask you a question then? What lessons are you imparting to your kids by always saying no. - As a kid I had attributed the denial of any junk to my mother's meshugas, despite all her health warnings. If all the other kids are eating, and are just fine, and go on to lead apparently happy, healthy lives, then what's the issue of having some. Is my mother the only one that understands that, and all the other mothers are completely clueless?

I never dared mention anything to my mother of course, but I was always sneaking around behind her back.

The more I learn about nutrition + my own health issues, the more I understand the effects of candy and junk.
That said, I won't be that mom. I signed up for pizza day at school so my kid isn't the only one not eating it, but I still send lunch on that day.
Also, someone has to say no. Clearly nobody else will, not teachers or even tatty, so I'll be the mean one. It's ok. Someone has to be the one to offer kale.

librarygirl

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 3:12 pm
trixx wrote:
The more I learn about nutrition + my own health issues, the more I understand the effects of candy and junk.
That said, I won't be that mom. I signed up for pizza day at school so my kid isn't the only one not eating it, but I still send lunch on that day.
Also, someone has to say no. Clearly nobody else will, not teachers or even tatty, so I'll be the mean one. It's ok. Someone has to be the one to offer kale.

Maybe you should change your user name? LOL

jfk92

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 5:08 pm
My DH has a big sugar problem, although bh he is in good health - its still a struggle for him not to have something sweet, even if hes full, or not hungry. He just craves sweets/sugars. He restricts himself a lot now, but tells me it was much more difficult for him in younger years. He says he can understand how sugar is a drug, and even before our child was born, we had a conversation about limiting sweets/sugars. Bh we are getting away with healthy snacks right now. However, although my husband and I are pretty strict about it, I am certain it will be an issue in school, shul, etc... My guess is my child will "trade" with me, if I can present him with something that looks fun/colorful to eat. So at that point ill probably get pretty creative.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics