Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Let kids have their candy.
Previous  1  2

sushilover

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 5:27 pm
I hate the fact that we are filling our kids with sugar and food coloring. We are encouraging addiction, obesity, diabetes, tooth decay, and ruining their taste for natural sugars.
That being said, I certainly don't want my kids to be the one begging for sweets and crawling around the classroom picking up crumbs after a birthday party (true story- my SIL was the teacher).

I've recently been trying having my kids 'earn' nosh with exercise and/or eating vegetables. For example they can have chips only after eating some sliced pepper. I've also tried paying them fifty cents for every junk nosh (candy, sour sticks...) they forgo - with varying success. I so appreciate that my daughter's teacher gives stickers to anyone who eats a fruit or vegetable during recess. It made such a difference!

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 5:46 pm
It's a big problem in our culture. We condition our kids to eat junk. Friends kids get in the car, and they want nosh translate junk. Shabbos afternoon is a nosh party translate candy. Schools reward with candy. The moms send junk food for snack. A disgusting amount of junk food is sent with campers. I gave real prizes for guests to take home at birthday parties instead of junk food. One year I gave Lego sets to attendees of DS's Lego party. The boys wanted nosh to go take home instead.

I don't don't buy into this. Kids don't need to eat junk like this.

My kids eat healthy food. I don't limit them when they are given junk food like Purim or in Shul or school. They naturally regulate themselves. After the first day of something, my kids don't go back to eat to it. Usually it goes into the cabinet. I can put candy out for guests. My kids don't touch it. I never told them no. I always gave them a healthy alternative.

I rather give my kids fresh baked goods than that stuff with the preservatives.

Classicookie

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 5:54 pm
I worked with a family one summer as a teen who did not allowed suger junk and so on. .... The mom made all this health food the kids hated and they would act like animals anytime they had cookies or something on Shabbat. And the kids stole food all the time from my stuff .a happy medium is the best allow it but teach better choices and let them induge once in a while

thegiver

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 6:07 pm
all u sugary moms out there—do ur kids still enjoy blueberries cherries nuts and fresh cold melon as treats? I had this kid come to our popcorn pretzel melon shabbos party and beg for candy because thats what she was used to. This is the midda I should be teaching my kids?! Dissatisfaction with the things Hashem created that are sweets by nature.

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 6:17 pm
thegiver wrote:
all u sugary moms out there—do ur kids still enjoy blueberries cherries nuts and fresh cold melon as treats? I had this kid come to our popcorn pretzel melon shabbos party and beg for candy because thats what she was used to. This is the midda I should be teaching my kids?! Dissatisfaction with the things Hashem created that are sweets by nature.

My sweet tooth kid LOVES fruits and veggies.
She'll eat both! Won't give up on her junk food though.
I do see as she's getting older (still very little) that slowly she's starting to apreciate fruits more. But she wants her lollipop and junky ices.
(We always have frozen fruit in the freezer. Strawberries, peach, grapes, mangos, bananas. Yum!)

It's not one or the other.
And no, you can't control their taste buds.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 6:23 pm
thegiver wrote:

I let my kids have both and theylove both. I do see though some kids r more drawn to pure sugar and others to carbs like cookies.

Aylat

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 3:47 am
Tzutzie wrote:
My sweet tooth kid LOVES fruits and veggies.
She'll eat both! Won't give up on her junk food though.
I do see as she's getting older (still very little) that slowly she's starting to apreciate fruits more. But she wants her lollipop and junky ices.
(We always have frozen fruit in the freezer. Strawberries, peach, grapes, mangos, bananas. Yum!)

It's not one or the other.
And no, you can't control their taste buds.

My kids too. Loads and loads of fruit, and when it's finished, raw veggies straight from the fridge.

lkwdlady

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 5:20 am
I wasn’t allowed nosh as a kid and felt deprived.
Once I started working and earned my own money I bought whatever wanted.
The party finally started!
It’s many years later and while I’m not interested in candy at all, I still have that sweet tooth that was deprived. I like cake, ice cream chocolate... unfortunately I like sweets and snacks in an unhealthy way after being deprived that I now struggle with my weight.
I bought nosh for my own kids. No way will they feel deprived of a simple pleasure in life. They got nosh for shabbos party, birthday parties, trips, a class Siyum etc ..., at one point I noticed that I had lots of nosh in my house and my kids didn’t even want it!
They had their share and don’t need to grab it. They fight over pepper slices as I’m slicing and melon slices too...
If you offer a little of all types of food kids will be well balanced and their nosh cravings won’t go out of control.
Recently I had an event in my house with some refreshments on the table. I was shocked to see a child whose parents are all into health and monitoring what their kids do/don’t eat, stuff her pockets with food I put out! I couldn’t believe how she kept taking more and stuffing her pockets until she had no more room.
At a kiddush in shul a boy around 4 years old was grabbing from a chocolate platter. He stood over the platter and kept stuffing more into his mouth even though his mouth was full. His mother is not a stable person and punishes him if he eats sugar. He was trying to get it all in (without even enjoying it!) before his mother would find out.
Ladies, that’s YOUR child if you make an issue over sweets....
You have good intentions but you have to realize that playing around with the emotional makeup of a young child is far worse than anything.
Eating sweets should be in moderation but not allowing your child to have some will only create a monster when he sees it.

Jewishfoodie

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 5:31 am
Okay. I'm not derailing this candy thread. Give me a sec..

When I was a young mother, I HATED when my teens or preteens went to waterparks. They always got sick afterward but to me, the greatest insult was what the water actually contained. So, pregoogle, I looked compiled many magazine and newspaper articles doing exposes (sp?) on them and sat them all down for a family chat. The fecal matter in the water alone made me sick.

I wanted them to understand why when they came home I stripped them, washed everything twice and made them shower so rigorously.

They went to water parks but on their own, they tried to avoid getting any water in their mouth and staying for long periods of time in the water. They were totally grossed out and some of them even stopped going when they were given the choice.

My point is, at a certain age, once you educate your kids about the sugar, (root canal anyone?) they will usually self police and not overdo it. It's okay to have some. But if your childrens' teeth are black with rot, lay off the apple juice bottles. You're doing them a disservice.

Everything should have a limit, I think. Even eating 4 bags of spinach isn't healthy. So, moderation.

octopus

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 12:03 pm
I don't usually have candy in the house because they get a ton from school. But if you have ever seen your kids suffer in the dentist's chair, you may feel differently.It is shortsighted if you think it's totally ok all the time. And adults who think purim and simchas torah are all about the kids and the candy annoy the living daylights out of me.

sima

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 12:06 pm
I'm a big believer in "everything in moderation". This goes for adults as well as kids. I see adults who follow every fad that comes their way.....gluten free, keto, smoothies and juicing till you drop, etc..... In the end something has to give. It's all about balance, and learning the right time when to stop with the nosh, or whatever unhealthy trend....

Snickers18

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 2:55 pm
So many of the comments happen to be contrary to my lived experience.

Growing up, we did not get to eat any candy or other junk during the week. We brought it home and put it into our personal containers. Each Shabbat we got to pick one thing from the bag. We followed this honestly, didn't sneak stuff and none of us went crazy for candy and junk. We didn't always even care to choose something on Shabbat.

Now, my children are following a similar path, except they don't bring it home to set aside for Shabbat. They know it's not good for them and are not interested, period. I know this to be the case because I've been told by numerous witnesses (in school, on the bus, etc.) that they immediately hand it to a teacher and politely say that they don't want it. They don't even participate in junk food "events" in school. When they receive MM, they happily go through them and separate what they will and won't eat. Sometimes an entire MM is full of stuff they won't eat and they don't care. They give it to someone who will eat it and wouldn't care if it went in the garbage because as they say, it's bad for you. They are not deprived, brainwashed robots- this just happens to be something they have an understanding of and have embraced wholeheartedly. As we've told people who try to make negative comments to us about it and force them, it's not as if they are begging for it and envious of their friends who have and we refuse to allow them, so why try to pump them with bad things that they're not even interested in, just for the sake of "getting the kid to try candy"? Seems silly. I'm happy with the way things have turned out and happy not to have it in our home. Based on my experience, I would say that a lot of nature is involved rather than nurture.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 3:53 pm
It's very sad when small children require extensive dental work and this generation of kids have more dental issues by far than the previous generation. We are also told that the longevity rates are going down so a bad diet may cut years off of a person's life.

That being said, there is a place in a child's life for candy and junk but they do need some limits because it could ruin their appetites for real food.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 3:56 pm
My kids eat candy and have never had a cavity. Good genes has a lot to do with it BH. I actually just had one of them x rayed and still no cavities.

My husband has had like one cavity his entire life and doesn't believe in brushing teeth. I brush my teeth twice a day and have needed a lot of dental work for cavities and root canals.

Tzutzie

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 4:05 pm
Snickers18 wrote:
So many of the comments happen to be contrary to my lived experience.

Growing up, we did not get to eat any candy or other junk during the week. We brought it home and put it into our personal containers. Each Shabbat we got to pick one thing from the bag. We followed this honestly, didn't sneak stuff and none of us went crazy for candy and junk. We didn't always even care to choose something on Shabbat.

Now, my children are following a similar path, except they don't bring it home to set aside for Shabbat. They know it's not good for them and are not interested, period. I know this to be the case because I've been told by numerous witnesses (in school, on the bus, etc.) that they immediately hand it to a teacher and politely say that they don't want it. They don't even participate in junk food "events" in school. When they receive MM, they happily go through them and separate what they will and won't eat. Sometimes an entire MM is full of stuff they won't eat and they don't care. They give it to someone who will eat it and wouldn't care if it went in the garbage because as they say, it's bad for you. They are not deprived, brainwashed robots- this just happens to be something they have an understanding of and have embraced wholeheartedly. As we've told people who try to make negative comments to us about it and force them, it's not as if they are begging for it and envious of their friends who have and we refuse to allow them, so why try to pump them with bad things that they're not even interested in, just for the sake of "getting the kid to try candy"? Seems silly. I'm happy with the way things have turned out and happy not to have it in our home. Based on my experience, I would say that a lot of nature is involved rather than nurture.

This. My neighbors kid is like that.
So is she and her husband.
I have a bad sweet tooth. So does dh. My kid got a triple dose..... plus sensory....
And bad teeth to boot.... which is also genetic. Both dh and I have bad teeth. His much worse than mine.
We need to do the best we can. The rest is up to Hashem.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 4:07 pm
southernbubby wrote:
It's very sad when small children require extensive dental work and this generation of kids have more dental issues by far than the previous generation. We are also told that the longevity rates are going down so a bad diet may cut years off of a person's life.

That being said, there is a place in a child's life for candy and junk but they do need some limits because it could ruin their appetites for real food.

Our dentist said that the candy made in the last decade and a half are worse than previously. Now a lot of the candy is sour jellies, sour candies, sour this and sour that. He said all those acidic ingredients that make a candy sour are actually the ingredients that eat away at tooth enamel.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics