Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
UK DREAM VS AMERICAN DREAM

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 12:23 am
In the UK its all about the home you live in. The dream is to have your own big secure house. It's hard to keep up and it makes you notice a big devide between whom can and whom cannot afford it.
What is the American dream?

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 12:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
In the UK its all about the home you live in. The dream is to have your own big secure house. It's hard to keep up and it makes you notice a big devide between whom can and whom cannot afford it.

Maybe ask this question when it's not after 10-11pm in 2/3 of the U.S. ...

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 12:48 am
The American dream is to feel good supporting endless GoFundMes for people in crisis...but not actually do anything about making medical care accessible for all.

The American dream is to make candlelight vigils and prayer circles after every shooting...but not actually do anything about scaling back gun accessibility.

Shall I continue?

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 2:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Perhaps in some areas, especially in London, but not everywhere. I find many rehabed houses in London look the same inside and out.
In Manchester many houses are tiny. Quite a few of the older, bigger houses have seen better days.

There is an emphasis on home ownership but that's due to it being viewed as a safe investment.

s c

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 3:49 am
Rents are so high in London that it makes sense to try and pay the same money towards your own mortgage and property not someone elses

pesek zman

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 6:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Big secure house? Houses in the UK (London certainly) are so much smaller than most houses in the US. If it’s a dream there, it’s certainly a dream here too

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 6:45 am
The American Dream is that through hard work, your kids will do better than you.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 7:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I never got this memo...

imasoftov

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 9:32 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
I never got this memo...

It's hard to tell if you're critical of the concept or haven't heard of it before, so read this.

aliavi

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 10:48 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Maybe ask this question when it's not after 10-11pm in 2/3 of the U.S. ...

Maybe a little rant-ish, but this posts like this are annoying. There was another recently that I saw too. It’s not like the world revolves around the US and that we should treat others as if it does. I am capable of scrolling through questions the next day and I think other imas are too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics