Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Vanilla ingredients

Maryann

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 2:33 pm
What is the difference between
Vanilla essence
Vanilla sugar
Vanilla extract
Can u substitute any one of them for another one?

Thanks so much!

honeymoon

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 2:43 pm
I substitute vanilla sugar for extract and vice versa when I'm out of either of them. I don't see a difference in taste at all. I'm not sure about essence though.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 2:44 pm
Vanilla sugar is def a frummy thing. I’ve only ever seen it in frum cookbooks/magazines/stores. I’ve never heard of vanilla essence

Maryann

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 2:50 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Vanilla sugar is def a frummy thing. I’ve only ever seen it in frum cookbooks/magazines/stores. I’ve never heard of vanilla essence

So are you trying to say that I can Leave that out in recipes? Will it make a difference?

Blessing1

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 2:52 pm
You can substitute vanilla sugar for vanilla extract and vice versa, but don't leave it out. It makes a difference in taste.
Vanilla extract is much stronger than vanilla sugar.

Raisin

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 5:24 pm
Being that vanilla extract costs about the same as gold dust, I am always tempted to leave it out, especially in things like brownies. But I never do.

I really need to make a bottle of my own. Its so much cheaper then buying.

I always sub vanilla extract for sugar, and vice versa, although I usually have sugar.

It seems vanilla sugar is common in Europe and hence Israel. Its not just a frum thing.

https://www.nigella.com/ask/vanilla-sugar

Maryann

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 5:29 pm
Raisin wrote:
Being that vanilla extract costs about the same as gold dust, I am always tempted to leave it out, especially in things like brownies. But I never do.

I always sub vanilla extract for sugar, and vice versa, although I usually have sugar.

It seems vanilla sugar is common in Europe and hence Israel. Its not just a frum thing.

How do you make vanilla sugar?

Teomima

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 5:45 pm
They're all different things. Vanilla essence is vanilla flavoring, often artificial. Vanilla sugar is exactly what it soulds like: sugar infused with vanilla. Vanilla extract is natural vanilla flavoring extracted from vanilla pods.

What I do is make my own extract (about six vanilla pods, sliced lengthwise, left in a large bottle of vodka for about a year). I reuse the pods a couple of times, adding a few new ones to each batch (I usually have two or three batches going at any given time. Since it just gets better as it ages, I make more whenever I find cheap vanilla beans). After several rounds, I remove the older pods, let them air dry for a day, then stick them in my vanilla sugar (a jar of plain white castor sugar and beans).

If a recipe calls for vanilla sugar, and you don't have it, just use regular sugar and add some vanilla essence or extract. If a recipe calls for essence or extract and only have vanilla sugar, use that in place of an equal amount of regular sugar.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 5:59 pm
Pure vanilla extract is best.
If you need to substitute, 1 tsp vanilla extract would convert to 1 Tbsp vanilla sugar.

BatyaEsther

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 6:01 pm
Teomima wrote:
They're all different things. Vanilla essence is vanilla flavoring, often artificial. Vanilla sugar is exactly what it soulds like: sugar infused with vanilla. Vanilla extract is natural vanilla flavoring extracted from vanilla pods.

What I do is make my own extract (about six vanilla pods, sliced lengthwise, left in a large bottle of vodka for about a year). I reuse the pods a couple of times, adding a few new ones to each batch (I usually have two or three batches going at any given time. Since it just gets better as it ages, I make more whenever I find cheap vanilla beans). After several rounds, I remove the older pods, let them air dry for a day, then stick them in my vanilla sugar (a jar of plain white castor sugar and beans).

If a recipe calls for vanilla sugar, and you don't have it, just use regular sugar and add some vanilla essence or extract. If a recipe calls for essence or extract and only have vanilla sugar, use that in place of an equal amount of regular sugar.

How much vanilla do you go through???
Are you a professional baker?
I am a professional tasters and would be happy to lend you my services.
This sounds awesome but I can't imagine using the quantity that would make any sense to do this.

Maryann

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 6:08 pm
Ty everyone! Where do you buy vanilla pods from?

Teomima

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 6:18 pm
BatyaEsther wrote:
How much vanilla do you go through???
Are you a professional baker?
I am a professional tasters and would be happy to lend you my services.
This sounds awesome but I can't imagine using the quantity that would make any sense to do this.

Hah Very Happy No, I'm just a regular home baker, but I do find I go through a decent amount, maybe a bottle (750ml-1liter) a year or so. Is that a lot?

bobeli

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 7:15 pm
I know I will get the tomatoes for this but...
I read in a recent study that the artificial vainilla tastes better than the real vanilla extract (not the pods)
I think it was America’s test kitchen or consumer report.
For the professional tester this is up your alley 🙂

BatyaEsther

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 7:19 pm
bobeli wrote:
I know I will get the tomatoes for this but...
I read in a recent study that the artificial vainilla tastes better than the real vanilla extract (not the pods)
I think it was America’s test kitchen or consumer report.
For the professional tester this is up your alley 🙂

If you make 2 identical batches, one with real vanilla extract and one with artificial, I will gladly eat, I mean taste, and let you know.

nicole81

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 7:41 pm
Just an FYI to those of you who have Amazon subscribe and save deliveries, 16oz of Mccormick vanilla extract is less than $30 with the discount, which is a pretty great price.

penguin

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 9:37 pm
I've gotten addicted to this organic vanilla and it aint cheap. I can't even bear to use the real vanilla extracts.

I'd love to try making my own. Where do you find vanilla pods, and do they need hashgacha?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 8:33 am
Raisin wrote:

Do you mean pure vanilla? I'm a purist when it comes to mint extract but not vanilla. In the states, imitation vanilla's pretty cheap.

cbg

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 9:18 am
Teomima wrote:
Hah Very Happy No, I'm just a regular home baker, but I do find I go through a decent amount, maybe a bottle (750ml-1liter) a year or so. Is that a lot?

You can buy the tiny vodka bottles

Raisin

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 1:25 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Do you mean pure vanilla? I'm a purist when it comes to mint extract but not vanilla. In the states, imitation vanilla's pretty cheap.

The only kosher one I can get is pure vanilla extract from madagascar.

I can find pods quite easily in regular supermarkets. Fancy bakers use the pods and scrape out the insides.

If you want to make your own vanilla sugar click on link in my previous post.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 2:39 pm
Raisin wrote:
The only kosher one I can get is pure vanilla extract from madagascar.

I can find pods quite easily in regular supermarkets. Fancy bakers use the pods and scrape out the insides.

Under those circumstances I can see making your own.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins