Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Two day, One night Vacation - Need Ideas

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 12:19 pm
I need an idea for a one night, two day vacation
We're in NJ
boys ages 2-12

I know of Lancaster, Bushkill, Jiminey Peak etc.

What makes the most sense for this short time frame?

alwayscooking

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 12:36 pm
What about Cape May/Atlantic city?

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 12:47 pm
The most sense is not to waste too much time traveling. Maybe Philadelphia?

doctorima

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 12:49 pm
You want to spend as little of your short vacation as possible driving, and as much as possible enjoying the destination, so coming from NJ I'd rule out Jiminy Peak. Depending on where in NJ you are, I'd probably vote for Lancaster over Bushkill, as there's a lot more to do there. Philly can also be a nice option for a quick overnight getaway, with lots of kid-friendly activities.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 12:55 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
The most sense is not to waste too much time traveling. Maybe Philadelphia?

Agree.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 1:19 pm
Thank you, all.

I like fun activities but also educational in some sort of way. Even a farm is a fun, educational experience vs an amusement park.

doctorima- between Lancaster and Philly, which would you vote for?

mommyhood

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 1:32 pm
We've gone to Philadelphia/Cherry Hill for one night, Lancaster is too far for one night in my opinion. Camden aquarium is fun for all ages so is the Franklin institute (science center). There's also the mint and the liberty bell if you want a short free educational activity. Diggerland is pure fun but your 2 year old might be too small for any of the rides.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 1:37 pm
mommyhood wrote:
We've gone to Philadelphia/Cherry Hill for one night, Lancaster is too far for one night in my opinion. Camden aquarium is fun for all ages so is the Franklin institute (science center). There's also the mint and the liberty bell if you want a short free educational activity. Diggerland is pure fun but your 2 year old might be too small for any of the rides.

Thanks.

We've done Diggerland already, any joy in doing it again?

Is Phily/ Cherry Hill that much less traveling really?

honeymoon

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 2:24 pm
how about the Poconos? Camelback resort is a great place.

doctorima

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 3:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you, all.

I like fun activities but also educational in some sort of way. Even a farm is a fun, educational experience vs an amusement park.

doctorima- between Lancaster and Philly, which would you vote for?

Part of it depends on where in NJ you're coming from (for drive time) and the ages and interests of your kids. I assume Lancaster will be a longer drive, but it's attractions are a bit more exciting - Dutch Wonderland, Cherry Crest Farm, Amish buggy ride, train ride, Herr's factory tour, Hershey factory tour (free), Indian Echo Caverns.

Philly is a little more traditional - Franklin Institute, Please Touch Museum, mint (free), Liberty Bell (free), great zoo, Betsy Ross House, Camden Aquarium, Eastern State Penitentiary (really cool if your kids are old enough to appreciate it). There's also kosher restaurants in Philly and Cherry Hill.

We view Philly as a Chol Hamoed destination, and Lancaster as a more exotic overnight trip, but it really depends on your family and what you think they would enjoy more. Hope that helps!

sky

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 3:59 pm
Would not travel to jimminy for so short.
Lancaster is fine - we’ve done 1 night there a few times.

What about cape May area. Very little traveling. I don’t like to travel much for one night.

Cape May Zoo
Atlantic City recycling
Fort Mott ferry.
Picnic on beach in evening

sky

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 4:00 pm
Another idea is Gillette castle adventure (ferry, train, hike). But can’t take a carriage.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 6:27 pm
Can someone suggest places to stay in cape May or Philadelphia for one night? A lot of the Airbnb require minimums. Would like a place where we could set up a George
Foreman in the room for supper.

sky

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 6:34 pm
Most vrbo require 2 or more nights and once you factor the cleaning costs in most places one night isn’t worth it.
It gets dark late now. I would bring a real grill and do a bbq on a beach or in a park in the evening.
You can always use a George Forman in a regular room or look for a suite.

doctorima

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 7:35 pm
If you're going to Philly, I'd look into lodging options in Cherry Hill, which is only a short drive away from the main attractions, but much more convenient in terms of hotel options, parking, kosher food, minyan, etc.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 7:50 pm
Not to hijack but what are some things to do in Philly without kids?

doctorima

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 9:05 pm
Longwood Gardens is beautiful, just outside Philly, and there's also nearby Winterthur. We really enjoyed National Museum of American Jewish History, and if you're into history, the Constitution Museum is great, and you can also take the tour of Independence Hall and see the Liberty Bell. The Eastern State Penitentiary is fascinating for all ages, and there's two wonderful art museums.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 10:34 pm
we just went to philly 1 night and 2 days with our kids. (baby through age 12) stayed in the Windsor - the suite was perfect room for our family (2 double beds in a separate room with door, bathroom outside the room. massive living room, couch opened into bed. balcony. amazing pool on the roof that was empty kids loved. did the franklin institute. the falls down the block kids can actually go into (across the street from franklin institute) I have lots of ideas..are you looking for indoor/outdoor. what price range? you can click on this link for some great ideas https://www.visitphilly.com/ar.....phia/

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 10:38 pm
if you go to mount laurel/cherry hill area - there's a hotel that has suite with 2 bdrms with doors plus a living rm (that couch opens up) all for the price of one room - hyatt house mt laurel nj - very affordable. we went there a few summers when kids were very little - things to do there - garden state discovery museum. jellybean jungle. funplex. johnson's corner farm (this farm is the best!!hayride,picking,feed animals,fake cars,climbing stuff, adorable!!) laurel acres park
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics