Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Seminary in Israel for very modern daughter
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 6:44 pm
My eldest dd is very modern (as opposed to our very not modern family). She wears pants sometimes, short sleeves, commutes to a co-ed school versus the all-girls school she was originally in. But she is still frum (keeps shabbos and kosher at least), very respectful wholesome girl and dh and I are fully supportive. She has brought up interest in going to learn in Israel. She has made it clear she doesn’t want to go to any place Bais Yaakov-y. She wants real intensive learning “like the boys.”

I have no clue where to begin because she wants something so different from what the girls that she grew up with are wanting. We have 1 years left and she really brought this up out of the blue. I told her she should start asking her guidance counselor, but any help where I should begin to look? I’m super happy that she is still interested in Judaism but I’m really stepping out of my comfort zone with this one! And I don’t think our rav would know although I can get dh to ask.

I would love to have even a basic list of possible seminaries that she and I can research together.

Thank you for any help you can give! Even if it’s to say that no such seminary exists!

pesek zman

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 6:45 pm
I’m sure her school would have guidance. Where are her friends going?

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 6:55 pm
Where are her classmates going?
Is modern code for rebellious or a different haskafa?
Is she looking for hard core learning and to grow in her Torah or more of an experience.
There are probably close to 15-20 MO Seminarys. If she is in a co-ed day school they probably have an Israel Advisor who can help.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Aug 05 2019, 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

teachkids

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 7:01 pm
How bright is she? Where are her skills?mmy and shalavim are both strong academics and seem like they may be a comfortable hashkafic fit.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 7:05 pm
Midreshet Harovah

or if she wants mixed - Pardes.

groovy1224

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 7:10 pm
Off the top of my head, MMY or harova.

But here's a helpful link, this may be a good starting point for you.

https://www.yu.edu/israel-program/gis/womens

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 7:11 pm
Does Midreshet Lindenbaum still exist?

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 7:11 pm
Maybe midreshet lindenbaum

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 7:12 pm
Midreshet Lindenbaum. But she should talk to her school guidance counselor and friends for more personalized recommendations.

gumby

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 7:16 pm
Brovenders based off what you said but the school should have an up to date listing of schools to fit your needs

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 7:31 pm
Brovenders/Midreshet Lindenbaum does still exist. They have a new Matmidot Scholars program (it is VERY competitive).

There are many many different schools each with a different emphasis (Gemara/haskafa/chessed/Jewish history/...)and you should be able to find the one which best fits your DD.

Ellie7

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 7:32 pm
Midreshet Lindenbaum/Brovender’s or, depending on how serious get is learning-wise, Migdal Oz night be good bets. But I’m also guessing that “very modern” to you might mean something different than to someone else, so I’d think more details are needed. Also, more discussions with your daughter.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 7:39 pm
I will definitely tell her to ask her friends. She doesn’t really have a lot, to be honest and the ones that she does have are talking about college not seminary. But I admit that I don’t know so much about her friends because they live in one area and she commutes to the school so these friends are more like school friends. But I will definitely ask.

She’s not rebellious! Just not with the yeshivish hashkafa. She would rather be left to her own devices if she could. Her Judaism is different from our family’s, which is fine and all but she’s not gonna get it in our community. Or even in Orthodox Judaism. But if she’s still keeping the Big 2 and still interested, then I’d like to find someplace that will work with her.

She likes to learn and explore but she doesn’t like limitations put on her learning and exploring, if that makes sense. She likes to go at her own pace. I wouldn’t say that she’s a genius but she does fairly well when she isn’t being stubborn or losing track of what she was supposed to be doing in the first place.

She definitely wants to grow in her Torah but I think to her, growth is more about knowledge as opposed to action. But I will definitely ask her your last two questions BatyaEsther because it’s possible that I’m putting words in her mouth or incorrectly stating something.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 7:48 pm
Bar Ilan Experience may be a good idea for her.
Brovenders and Shalavim are sounding possible too ridged-I know that Shalavim has a huge handbook with a lot of rules.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 7:49 pm
Redundant

Last edited by amother on Tue, Aug 06 2019, 5:23 am; edited 1 time in total

JoyInTheMorning

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 7:52 pm
Migdal Oz is a great seminary for Modern Orthodox girls. It is the female counterpart to Gush. The learning is intense and great, from what I have heard. The girls who go there love it. But you also can't go wrong with Midreshet Lindenbaum/Brovenders. They have a fantastic faculty, and also has the advantage of being in Jerusalem. Migdal Oz is obviously is over the Green Line, in the Gush. Some people love the moshav-like quality; some are happier in an urban setting. You can discuss both choices with her.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 7:53 pm
Somebody mentioned Shaalvim? How is that Modern Orthodox?

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 8:15 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Somebody mentioned Shaalvim? How is that Modern Orthodox?

What would you consider it?

veiznisht

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 8:21 pm
Nishmat might be a good fit.

http://www.nishmat.net/shana-b.....gram/

JoyInTheMorning

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 8:22 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
What would you consider it?

I'd consider it fairly right wing even though obviously Zionist. Definitely not for someone who wears short sleeves and pants. I'd put it in the same category as Michlala. I could be wrong. Nobody I know has even considered it.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics