Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Help me plan a getaway with my family (challenging)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 8:32 am
We want to go away for a few days. We are in the tri state area and willing to travel up to 4 hours. Also dh needs minyanim.
We have elementary school aged kids who would be happy with almost anything. However we also have a troubled teen (boy) who is going through a very hard time now.
He can’t just sit around, he has to be kept busy. My dh on the other hand is not well and while he’s up to vacation he wants it to be relaxing.
So we need something that caters to young kids, a troubled teen, and a weak dh/father.
We love the country for the air but realize that we are limited in choices at this point. We would probably want to go during the week (not shabbos).
I heard of people going to Lancaster, jimminy peak, poconos but I have no idea how to plan such a getaway. Where do people stay? What is there to do?
Any ideas are very welcome!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 8:49 am
Someone just told me that she rented a nice house with a pool in Lancaster through “home away”.
There is a beautiful fishery in that neighborhood where we once went fishing. It was very relaxing and adventurous for us since we don’t fish often.
The sceneries there amongst the farms are very nice .

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 8:49 am
Not what you were asking but can the teen take a good friend with to keep him company?

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 8:55 am
Lancaster would be great, there's lots to do there.
There are nice hotels around Lancaster. We like Best Western Eden Plus, they have a nice outdoor and indoor pool.

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 8:58 am
Consider Cape Cod. There's lots of action for your teen and plenty to do for the little ones.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 9:09 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Lancaster would be great, there's lots to do there.
There are nice hotels around Lancaster. We like Best Western Eden Plus, they have a nice outdoor and indoor pool.

Thank you!
We would only go separate swimming. Is that an option?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 9:10 am
Squishy wrote:
Consider Cape Cod. There's lots of action for your teen and plenty to do for the little ones.

How do I find out more?
Is there a frum crowd there?
Do you know if there are minyanim?

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 9:11 am
Separate swimming is only an option if you have a private room. Maybe look into an Air bnb in the area.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 9:15 am
Laurel Highlands in Pennsylvania has relaxing things and activities all on site. Your husband can be sitting by the lake while your kids go Alpine sliding and other such activities

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 9:16 am
Can you afford to spend a lot on this vacation? There was an ad here for someplace in Pennsylvania with a wide variety of activities and minyan and kosher food available

I found the link: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....62153

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 9:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How do I find out more?
Is there a frum crowd there?
Do you know if there are minyanim?

There's been a couple of threads on here the last couple of days. You can PM me for more info.

There's a guaranteed minyan in Onsett which is across the canal from The Cape. This is beneficial on Friday afternoons to lessen The Cape traffic.

There is a frum crowd on Shabbos. There's usually 60 families more or less. We always see Jews from home in town. But I wouldn't say a crowd. The town has private beaches. It also has a public beach with a life guard. There's beautiful walks nearby.

The ride is 3.5 hours not in peak traffic.

doctorima

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 10:03 am
What's your daily budget for lodging and activities? If you want an organized program with other frum families around, check out koshersprings.com and vtgetaway.com but you'll be paying a surcharge to have all this.

Another great options is Tannersville, NY, which has multiple shuls and minyanim daily, a very nice frum crowd, gorgeous nature, and a variety of family-friendly activities.

There's also Lincoln, NH (see http://www.lincolnnhminyan.com/), though if your kids are young and would be happy with even Lancaster, it may not be worth the drive until they're a little older and can appreciate it more. Onset has already been mentioned and is also great (http://www.capecodshul.org/capecodshul.org/index.php).

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 10:09 am
Doctorima,

What is there to do I’m tannnersville? I thought it was more of a quiet relaxing place (which I wouldn’t mind but not sure it’s the right thing for my son).
Can separate swimming be arranged?

I didn’t decide on a budget but I would be okay spending up to $1,000 on a weekday vacation (around 4 days/not shabbos)

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 10:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Doctorima,

What is there to do I’m tannnersville? I thought it was more of a quiet relaxing place (which I wouldn’t mind but not sure it’s the right thing for my son).
Can separate swimming be arranged?

I didn’t decide on a budget but I would be okay spending up to $1,000 on a weekday vacation (around 4 days/not shabbos)

It is near Hunter Mountain where you can hike, go Ziplining, flyfishing, take the chairlift up the mountain, etc. https://www.huntermtn.com/

The Huckleberry Rail Trail is in the area, as is the Kaaterskill Falls and Kaaterskill Rail Trail.

You can rent an apartment with a pool nearby-- https://www.vrbo.com/968968ha

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/8.....YS7J9

Or look into some of the kosher hotels if that is more your style.

mommyfish

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 10:48 am
How about lake George? It’s relaxing with plenty to do. As for lodging, if you go on to home away.com or Airbnb (which is cheaper) you can find what works for you budget.

doctorima

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 11:22 am
Tannersville is great because there are so many different types of activities you can do in the area - a short easy hike to beautiful Kaaterskill Falls, boat rentals on nearby North-South Lake, adventure at Hunter Ziplines, a boat ride on a river inside Howe Caverns, a relaxing drive to Cooperstown for sports fans, a cool show at the world's largest kaleidoscope in Mt. Tremper, a few pick-your-own fruit places, boat rides on the Hudson, mini-golf and go-karts at Puttin Plus, a cute zoo for little kids called Bailiwick, an interesting place to explore called Opus 40, much longer hikes climbing mountains for stunning views, etc.

All this in a wholesome environment with minyan, a kosher supermarket, and a small pizza place.

As for swimming, the day camp has a pool that used to be available for separate swimming after camp hours. When I was there this summer that wasn't the case, but I don't know what the situation will be bein hazmanim. But for us, it was gam zu l'tova, because it gave us a chance to discover a stunning swimhole in the area that a local told us about that was far better than any camp pool, where we were able to make our own separate swimming. Smile I want to keep it that way, so I won't post it publicly, but feel free to PM me for more details.

2gether

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 4:50 am
New Hampshire?

naomi2

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 9:57 am
Check out lake George
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics