Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Scarves as tichels-are they considered fine/classy?
Previous  1  2

icebreaker

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 4:01 pm
What the heck does "classy" mean when it comes to covering your head??

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 4:11 pm
IMHO, there are headcoverings that are for casual wear e.g. going walking or to grocery, and then there are those that are meant to be more dressed up. For example you're dressed for work or a meeting.

I wear pre-tieds to go somewhere casual. I think the chenille (and the knitted berets) look like they would be way too hot, but maybe I'm more sensitive than most.

To work or when I want to feel more dressed up I wear a scarf that goes once around my head and ties on the side. Sometimes I'll add a headband or a pin. Others (mostly the non-sheitel wearers, that is) do more elaborate wraps of multiple scarves etc. or it might be a chassidish or yerushalmi style.

In a former job I had a few soft cotton hats.

For a wedding I will wear a scarf with a bit of glitter, a fancier pin or flower etc.

There are those who always wear a sheitel who feel that going out in a tichel is like going out in your bathrobe. Which, if you do wear a sheitel and go to a particular place without one, might be seen as considering that event or place not worthy of getting dressed (up).

However, if you b'shita or for whatever reason don't wear a sheitel, there is still a more casual vs a more dressed up way to cover.

Make sense?

cm

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 4:44 pm
My community is mixed (and not Brooklyn/Lakewood, so my observation might not help the OP), so there is no one standard for headcovering. IMO, a nicely arranged tichel is more refined than a sloppy snood. Similarly, a neat, tidy snood is more refined than a haphazardly-tied scarf.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 5:40 pm
Hi Op, here is how I see it (I am Oot yeshivish with a tolerant viewpoint, and I live right near Lakewood and am there all the time): There was a time (2000 - 2007ish) that scarves as tichels was a more modern, Sephardi, or hippy-Breslov type statement in the US. Yeshivish women didn't wear them, only snoods. Then pretieds came in, and everything slowly changed. Now scarves are definitely worn be yeshivish women, but in a place like Lakewood, it would be more of a look you would wear to exercise, take kids hiking in the park, or around the house in a slinky and hoody. To get dressed to go shopping, to work, or your kids schools, you would wear a shaitel for a more "classy, refined" look. Make sense? So yes, you can wear a scarf in a more casual setting and not worry you are trying to identify as modern. (But the way you wear it is also indicative of your group, would you like me to categorize?)

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 8:00 pm
I find silk scarves very classy, but the israeli style scarves not.
Maybe it’s the thin cotton materials, bright colorful pattern, or the way it’s tied... I’m not sure. It has a very casual look to me. The type I find classy are the ones you can buy in coach / Kate spade or something, usually a big square you fold into a triangle, tied in the old fashioned way (not under the chin, but at the nape of the neck).

little neshamala

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 8:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So basically if worn in Brooklyn/Lakewood type of communities, you are making a trendy/cool sort of statement? aarrgh...why??

No. Totally not. In monsey (which is pretty in town by now) you see people all over the place wearing them.

And it doesnt automatically equal cool/trendy. I think it goes along with what the rest of the outfit looks like. If the rest of the clothes are super trendy, thats how you'll look. And if the rest of the outfit is more classy, or toned down, ot whatever the look you want is, a coordinating israeli tichel will just pull that look together.

But no, an israeli tichel alone is not a trend statement.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 9:05 pm
I have always worn Israeli style tichels because that's the only head covering that I look good in when I'm not wearing a wig. I find it silly to follow the trends in head covering (only known to "in towners" anyway) when they don't flatter me in any way.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 9:27 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
IMHO, there are headcoverings that are for casual wear e.g. going walking or to grocery, and then there are those that are meant to be more dressed up. For example you're dressed for work or a meeting.

I wear pre-tieds to go somewhere casual. I think the chenille (and the knitted berets) look like they would be way too hot, but maybe I'm more sensitive than most.

To work or when I want to feel more dressed up I wear a scarf that goes once around my head and ties on the side. Sometimes I'll add a headband or a pin. Others (mostly the non-sheitel wearers, that is) do more elaborate wraps of multiple scarves etc. or it might be a chassidish or yerushalmi style.

In a former job I had a few soft cotton hats.

For a wedding I will wear a scarf with a bit of glitter, a fancier pin or flower etc.

There are those who always wear a sheitel who feel that going out in a tichel is like going out in your bathrobe. Which, if you do wear a sheitel and go to a particular place without one, might be seen as considering that event or place not worthy of getting dressed (up).

However, if you b'shita or for whatever reason don't wear a sheitel, there is still a more casual vs a more dressed up way to cover.

Make sense?

This exactly. I dont wear sheitels and wear a structured hat to work (think cloche or wool bucket hat), but otherwise I live in my snood, usually a neat black knit one.

I've had people kindly remind me that I'm in my snood as I leave my house for an appt, or ask me why I bother with makeup and nice outfits when essentially I'm "in pajamas" because of my snood (exact quote).

But it works for me. I dress up, ie classy, for day to day, and I always have my nails and face done neatly but not in a "statement" fashion, so I think I make the snood work for me.

(If it matters...I live in NY and am basically yeshivish)

sarahmalka

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 9:51 pm
watergirl wrote:
I don't live in Israel, Brooklyn, or Lakewood (or anywhere in NY or NJ). But I don't wear a sheitel. What else are people supposed to wear if for any reason, they don't hold by wigs? I promise, it’s not to make a statement of any sort and some people put on a tichel. What else would you like us to cover with? A garbage bag? My tichels are beautiful. “Classy” and “refined” are all so highly subjective, yet are used in some frum communities to be a term to reflect the local standard and a way to put down others who do other than that. The term is divisive at best and time to retire them.

Applause

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 10:52 pm
I like wearing Israeli scarves over shaitels and snoods. I think they have a creative way about them. I happen to think shaitels are kind of weird (yes I wear shaitels too). Shaitels seem so fake to me.

hodeez

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 11:24 pm
I've come to realize I hate the word 'trendy'

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 11:51 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Hi Op, here is how I see it (I am Oot yeshivish with a tolerant viewpoint, and I live right near Lakewood and am there all the time): There was a time (2000 - 2007ish) that scarves as tichels was a more modern, Sephardi, or hippy-Breslov type statement in the US. Yeshivish women didn't wear them, only snoods. Then pretieds came in, and everything slowly changed. Now scarves are definitely worn be yeshivish women, but in a place like Lakewood, it would be more of a look you would wear to exercise, take kids hiking in the park, or around the house in a slinky and hoody. To get dressed to go shopping, to work, or your kids schools, you would wear a shaitel for a more "classy, refined" look. Make sense? So yes, you can wear a scarf in a more casual setting and not worry you are trying to identify as modern. (But the way you wear it is also indicative of your group, would you like me to categorize?)

Thanks for your response/clarification...can you elaborate on the highlighted part of your post? ty

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 9:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for your response/clarification...can you elaborate on the highlighted part of your post? ty

Sure. Silky scarves worn long and flowing down the back tends to be more of a Chabad look, although I am starting to see it coming in style for the yeshivish crowd, too. A simple, neat, low bun, or neatly tied and tucked under in the back (think pretieds style) is what is mostly on trend for the yeshivish crowd (again, a "fine", feminine, but slightly more casual look, for dressier activities a yeshivish woman wears a shaitel), and both cotton and silk scarves in solid or subtle patterns are worn. All the fancy twists, side ties, height extenders, layers, pins, and super sparkly scarves are generally worn by those that don't wear shaitels at all (Sephardi, Breslov-hippy, many women in Eretz Yisrael, and all others who feel shaitels don't resonant for whatever reason). Of course there are JPF women who are adventurous and creative and wear it all (shaitels, hats, all looks in scarves), but these are the stereotypes as I see them, so if you want to wear a scarf but still be easily identified as yeshivish, stick with the looks I described above.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 9:50 am
I’ve seen scarves worn is ways that look quite dressy and sophisticated. Some sparkle, embroidery and a side bow in place of a back knot really does it. If you add some height and a pin to a regular scarf that compliments your complexion and outfit, add some earrings and you can look great.
These are not shlumpy looks.
I personally think a colorful scarf of good fabric brings life to your face that a sheitel and snood never will.

octopus

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 9:54 am
[quote="amother [ Seagreen ]"]Sure. Silky scarves worn long and flowing down the back tends to be more of a Chabad look, although I am starting to see it coming in style for the yeshivish crowd, too. A simple, neat, low bun, or neatly tied and tucked under in the back (think pretieds style) is what is mostly on trend for the yeshivish crowd (again, a "fine", feminine, but slightly more casual look, for dressier activities a yeshivish woman wears a shaitel), and both cotton and silk scarves in solid or subtle patterns are worn. All the fancy twists, side ties, height extenders, layers, pins, and super sparkly scarves are generally worn by those that don't wear shaitels at all (Sephardi, Breslov-hippy, many women in Eretz Yisrael, and all others who feel shaitels don't resonant for whatever reason). Of course there are JPF women who are adventurous and creative and wear it all (shaitels, hats, all looks in scarves), but these are the stereotypes as I see them, so if you want to wear a scarf but still be easily identified as yeshivish, stick with the looks I described above.[/quote]

I cannot agree with this information.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 11:31 am
octopus wrote:
I cannot agree with this information.

This is a fun conversation, I'm finding it very entertaining Smile

Why not? That's certainly what I see, Israeli (cotton, often with metallic thread running through) or subtle patterns, in a bun not or simple tie, on tichels worn for a casual look on the more yeshivish crowd...What do you think about it?

octopus

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 2:33 pm
Because I don't think it's accurate. At least where I live. Some people wear a tichel, some wear a snood. Most people wear shaitels, but it's hot outside, they wear the above with whatever they look better in/more comfortable in/easiest to deal with. I don't think there is a thought to trendy/classy etc. I think op is reading way too much into this. I do agree with you that the people that are using all the sparkly headbands/clip/volumizers do dress in a more flowing dress style, usually. But not always.
Anyway, that's my two cents. LOL

penguin

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 3:14 pm
By Israeli tichels do you (any of your) mean these, or just any typeof scarf?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 10:50 am
yes, was talking about those, or any other patterns.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics