Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
What communities should we look at OOT?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Tziril Miriam

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 4:42 pm
Malden, Massachusetts. It's an older suburb of Boston, with good public transportation.

Call Congregation Beth Israel and see what programs they have for frum families moving to Malden. In the past they had very generous housing and tuition subsidies.

This wikipedia article on the shul hasn't been updated with Michael Bloomberg's grants, but is otherwise accurate:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....rael_(Malden,_Massachusetts)

Wikipedia has a list of Orthodox Jewish communities in the United States:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....tates

Good luck!

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 4:47 pm
Richmond, VA?

The community is right wing YU, tuition is free after the second kid. Dunno how much a house costs. There are about 85 frum families, and everyone is so warm and welcoming.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:12 pm
Scranton, PA. Very affordable housing, nice, down to earth community and under 3 hour drive to NY. We checked out many communities and for us it was just the right blend of affordability, warmth and proximity to NY.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 6:49 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
I have visited but don't live there. It's a small community not too far from Chicago. Tuition and housing are very inexpensive compared to some other places. The main shul is a little to the right, while the "outreach" shul is more centrist MO. I'm not sure what the current status is of the boys' high school. There used to be an Imamother who would jump onto these threads, but I'm not sure if she's still here. This might help: http://www.cdisouthbend.com/

Yeshiva is growing, and I hear good things about it. But sounds like OP has a long ways off to worry about that Smile

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 5:35 am
Thanks everyone! It's good to have some starting points to investigate

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 5:40 am
Chicago - you can get a 3 bed/2bath condo for around $180 in Winston Towers. Maintanence free living and low taxes.

24-7

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 5:44 am
How many years of school before you are able to move? Communities change. My suggestion is to start looking the year prior to graduation.

jkw

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 6:02 am
Second Northeast Philadelphia. Wonderful warm Rosh Kollel there Rabbi Burr and his wife. Check it out

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 6:16 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Chicago - you can get a 3 bed/2bath condo for around $180 in Winston Towers. Maintanence free living and low taxes.

Aren't there Condo association fees, etc.?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 8:43 am
24-7 wrote:
How many years of school before you are able to move? Communities change. My suggestion is to start looking the year prior to graduation.

I'm long done. My husband finishes next summer and may or may not learn in kollel for another year before we go. So in either a year or two.
I'm a teacher so decisions need to be made early enough to get hired for the next school year.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 8:43 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:

Once we're moving we'd like to go straight to a house instead of moving again in 3 years. Thanks though!

shmosmom

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 8:38 am
Norfolk, VA and Philadelphia are both really good options if you can find a house at a good price point. Both are very welcoming beautiful communities.

doctorima

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 9:07 am
Norfolk is indeed a lovely community, but I don't believe that houses there go for anywhere close to under 200k.

shaimac1

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 2:39 am
Hi! I totally agree with the OP that she needs to look into communities seriously a full year before she is going to move. If she lives in the Tri-state area think about attending the OU Jewish Communities Fair in November 2019...they only happen every other year. She should also visit each place, understand the whole package because even if a home is cheaper in x place if tuition is high it may not help in the long run! Congrats for saving $40k for a down payment already.. keep it up and you may get an even better home! I have been living in South Bend for almost 6 years and have lived many places, so I would be happy to assist! I don't work for any community so don't worry about that! OP feel free to message me directly!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 12:00 pm
I agree with the post above. South Bend might be a great option for you. My husband is the official recruiter for the community and can give you all the information should you want to know more. Please reach out to Simon and CDIsouthbend@gmail.com.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 12:36 pm
Amazing! Thanks! You're all awesome!
We’re planning on going to the community fair for more info, and now I'm handing this list of ideas (minus the imamother info) off to my husband to research job prospects in each of these places to narrow the list a bit.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 12:40 pm
shaimac1 wrote:
Hi! I totally agree with the OP that she needs to look into communities seriously a full year before she is going to move. If she lives in the Tri-state area think about attending the OU Jewish Communities Fair in November 2019...they only happen every other year. She should also visit each place, understand the whole package because even if a home is cheaper in x place if tuition is high it may not help in the long run! Congrats for saving $40k for a down payment already.. keep it up and you may get an even better home! I have been living in South Bend for almost 6 years and have lived many places, so I would be happy to assist! I don't work for any community so don't worry about that! OP feel free to message me directly!

Thanks!
Tuition isn't so much a factor since I teach and I assume most schools give some sort of staff discount (or is that not a thing oot?)

At this point it seems my salary and expenses will be around even (thanks to a baby) until my husband starts working, once we move, so the savings are pretty steady for now.

cuterpatooter

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 12:49 pm
Just wanting to say thanks to the OP and everyone for posting! I'm finding these suggestions very helpful. I never heard of the OU fair but I am sure signing up beH!

From what I understand, Houston and/or Dallas have cheap real estate and a really warm, solid community. Ppl I know who grew up there love. Houston is a growing tech hot-spot, if your husband is in that line of work.

Las Vegas/Henderson is growing a lot! They just opened a boys high school and are looking to open a girls one. There is a Chabad, Chofetz Chaim and I think a Young Israel/Aish. Supermarkets carry kosher products, and there are a surprising amount of restaraunts. Very warm, supportive and friendly community. A lot of sincere, frum people. My in-laws have lived there for almost 30 years and love it.

This is all assuming you can take the heat! TX and NV are hotttt

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 12:51 pm
Best of luck with your research. If you think SB is a possibility, reach out to my husband and he can provide a list of job opportunities in the SB area.

twogees

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 3:42 pm
Look into south bend! Get in touch with Simon Springer who is the outreach person there about jobs etc. We have been in contact with him and he is great to work with for job searching.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating