Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Was letting kids watch in the morn and I need to break the h

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 9:48 am
Im pregnant with my 3rd. I had a rough go at the beginning and I found getting up with the kids in the morning to be the absolute hardest. I was letting them each watch in the mornings and it became their norm now. Im soooo lazy to stop but its terrible! Pls give me helpful tips and motivation to kick this habit!

ectomorph

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 9:52 am
Wait until the baby is a few months old. Not gonna hurt them to do for an hour in the morning . just my opinion.

I don't think it's so terrible. You're getting more sleep, kids r happy. You're not sticking them in front of it all day.

OutATowner

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 10:14 am
I did that years ago. Eventually they'll stop, either you'll regain your strength or the school year will start. It's harder to break the habit if it's in the afternoon or evening.
Like ectomorph said, just get through this stage. It will pass. Really truly.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 10:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Im pregnant with my 3rd. I had a rough go at the beginning and I found getting up with the kids in the morning to be the absolute hardest. I was letting them each watch in the mornings and it became their norm now. Im soooo lazy to stop but its terrible! Pls give me helpful tips and motivation to kick this habit!

Get a new toy or something exciting for the mornings for the beginning until they break the habit... I don't think it's good for kids to watch for an hour every morning. We allow to watch on fridays and sundays. Studies show that it's really not good for kids brains.

OutATowner

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 10:36 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Get a new toy or something exciting for the mornings for the beginning until they break the habit... I don't think it's good for kids to watch for an hour every morning. We allow to watch on fridays and sundays. Studies show that it's really not good for kids brains.

Of course it's not ideal, but sometimes circumstances change and op doesn't have to beat herself up over it. Think of it as temporary.

amother
White

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 10:50 am
Of course it's not terrible if you need it, but op is saying that she wants to put an end to it. I've gone through stages where it was a life saver too, but for the most part my kids don't have any regular screen time. I put all the tablets in a place they can't access. They whine for a couple of days and then move on and forget about it.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 11:15 am
My mother used to set the TV channel before she went to bed and she taught me how to turn it on (this was in the early 80s, dial TVs, no remote control).
I watched TV every morning until she woke up.
My brain is just fine, I scored very high on the SATs and I have a graduate degree.
We all do what we gotta do for our sanity.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 11:17 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
My mother used to set the TV channel before she went to bed and she taught me how to turn it on (this was in the early 80s, dial TVs, no remote control).
I watched TV every morning until she woke up.
My brain is just fine, I scored very high on the SATs and I have a graduate degree.
We all do what we gotta do for our sanity.

80s TV was very different from today's TV and movies. The screens flash like crazy.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 12:26 pm
I have the same issue with my 5 yr old.
There's 2 things you can do: Put a time limit or an age limit.
For example my son is about to start learning chumash and I told him that he needs to have holy eyes and a clear mind to learn, so no more watching.
or, put on a timer, they can watch for half an hour, and that's it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 9:41 am
So this morning my almost 5 year old got up at 6, I let her watch because I was still exhausted. My 2nd got up a little after 7 and I got up with her and went to my older one and took away the tablet.
An ideas for a 5 year old to do in the morn? 6 is very early idk how she can keep busy for so many hours till camp starts ...

ectomorph

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 9:43 am
Water table, going outside, special morning game.

All this requires energy.

amother
White

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 10:40 am
You can have special toys that they're only allowed to play with in the morning. Set it out the night before and put it away where they can't reach it once you're ready to take over. Maybe an exciting Playmobil set?

Fabulous

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 10:50 am
my 3 and a half year old loves arts and crafts in the morning. It makes a bit of a mess but it's worth it. I buy all the little stickers and googly eyes etc from amazing savings. Glue stick. Printer paper and crayons. It can keep her busy for a while.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 10:51 am
My kids have been parked in front of the tv for the past 3 hours like zombies watching some idiotic shows. Camp ended, I'm home sick and just can't deal. Sometimes you do what you have to. As soon as I'm better it's going to stop cold turkey. But for now, at least I can rest and get well. You need your rest now too. Don't beat yourself up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers