Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How to make tichels look professional?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 11:51 pm
morah wrote:
amother wrote:
morah wrote:
To those saying it can't be done, clearly you are ashkenaz and have a choice. I do not have a choice, my husband is sefardi and his family rav says absolutely no sheital, full stop. Our rav is not sefardi, but I asked about it, and he said if this is my husband's minhag, I have to follow it. When you have no choice because you have to follow your psak, then you find a way to make it work. I currently work in a Jewish environment and can wear what I want on my head, but I have worked in secular environments and its not a problem if you dont draw attention to it. Understated, muted colors, no tails or fringes, secure so you're not fixing it all day, and nobody will blink. You may get asked about it from time to time, but its no different from being asked about why you don't eat BLT.

I thought it was the wife's minhag that is followed on headcoverings.

1. Not everyone agrees on that. My Rav, whose own wife wears a sheital, said to follow my husband's minhag. 2. I don't exactly have a minhag on my side anyway- my mother doesn't cover her hair.

My mother didn't cover either. I was told by my Rabbi that I am starting the minhag. My female descendants would be expected to cover the way I do.

ruti13

Post Sun, Jan 20 2013, 10:37 am
Well, I love covering my hair. A lot. I feel like royalty.

And B'H I know a lot of women that do as well. Not many, but slowly more are learning how.

As mentioned before, check out some of the ladies mentioned at the beginning of the post (rivkamalka.com, wrapunzel.wordpress.com, thestyleunderground.com, andreagrinberg.com) and tell me that you don't think those women are beautiful!

I get compliments on my hair coverings (I only cover with tichels) whenever I leave the house. Yes, I used to get compliments about my hair as well before I covered it, but I felt like that was something empty and essentially meaningless (I didn't put any work into it and wasn't something that I believed was important... was just born with pretty hair). The compliments I get about my tichels are something that I take to heart deeply, because it is something that I'm proud of and represents my commitment to my husband.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 1:55 pm
I'm the OP of this really old thread, and in light of the other tichel thread that was recently started, I'd like to report that I've been wearing tichels to work for the past 6 years, and recently got a big promotion where I'll be in a supervisory role (in a non-Jewish workplace). Today I'm wearing a cheerful periwinkle and white tichel with a side tie. I look pretty and professional IMO. Thanks for all the helpful advice back in 2013! Hopefully this will encourage the OP of the other thread! (I'm OOT yeshivish in America.)
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics