Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
R' Yosef Shidler's thoughts about Lakewood. From the heart.
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 9:32 pm
elisheva25 wrote:
Great article !!

Did anyone else notice that at first they had a picture of themselves with wife in a snood, and the next day the picture was changed to a beautiful, professional looking one with scenery in the background and wife decked out with her wig...I won’t comment on the mode of dress....

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 9:48 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
You're the one who brought him in.

I have nothing to do with him personally, I just loved his letter about the problem at hand shared by hundreds in Lakewood.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 9:49 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
This thread needs to go
Bye felicia

Huh?

ectomorph

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 10:00 pm
chestnut wrote:
What sort of LH?? I was talking about the comments section.

The comments section was full of LH.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 10:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Huh?

I reported my post. Tons of LH on this chat

chestnut

Post Sun, Aug 04 2019, 11:04 pm
ectomorph wrote:
The comments section was full of LH.

LH is the least of problems in the comments section. They are a very sad reflection on our communities

chestnut

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 1:14 pm
I feel that one of the comments summed it up well.
"Do you notice that girls (and boys) who go off the derecho are sought after? Do you notice how many "kiruv" organizations there are? How many individuals are immersed in "getting lost souls back to their roots?" Are you laughing yet?
Thes "wayward" kids which the kiruv crowd is chasing to be mekarev are mostly the same crowd of girls who were rejected and ostracized when they were still on the derecho. But "KIRUV" is considered pikuach nefesh, saving a soul while rejecting the same soul ought to be considered RETZICHA... murder."

saw50st8

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 1:26 pm
What I really want to know is why anyone is surprised? If you move to Lakewood, this is what you are moving to. A community where it is impossible to get your kids into school if you are the "right" fit and even worse if you are the "wrong" fit.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 1:33 pm
chestnut wrote:
I feel that one of the comments summed it up well.
"Do you notice that girls (and boys) who go off the derecho are sought after? Do you notice how many "kiruv" organizations there are? How many individuals are immersed in "getting lost souls back to their roots?" Are you laughing yet?
Thes "wayward" kids which the kiruv crowd is chasing to be mekarev are mostly the same crowd of girls who were rejected and ostracized when they were still on the derecho. But "KIRUV" is considered pikuach nefesh, saving a soul while rejecting the same soul ought to be considered RETZICHA... murder."

Imho, most brilliant post of the year! Thanks! +10000000000000000000000000000

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 10:45 am
saw50st8 wrote:
What I really want to know is why anyone is surprised? If you move to Lakewood, this is what you are moving to. A community where it is impossible to get your kids into school if you are the "right" fit and even worse if you are the "wrong" fit.

I don't think anyone is surprised. Just frustrated.

People move because they can't afford Brooklyn housing anymore.
Because we are Jewish, we can't just move wherever we want. We need the Jewish infrastructure. So when there's a town that has that, plus reasonable housing, people will move there and to its neighboring towns. That's how all Jewish towns grow. It's a free country.

It would be nice if existing schools open more parallel classes. It gotta be cheaper to open a parallel class than to try creating a new school, no? But I find when it isn't a school of a mosdos they rather set their acceptance limit than struggle with expanding. (Can't say I blame them, but still...)

Chayalle

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 11:05 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:

Because we are Jewish, we can't just move wherever we want. We need the Jewish infrastructure. So when there's a town that has that, plus reasonable housing, people will move there and to its neighboring towns. That's how all Jewish towns grow. It's a free country.

It would be nice if existing schools open more parallel classes. It gotta be cheaper to open a parallel class than to try creating a new school, no? But I find when it isn't a school of a mosdos they rather set their acceptance limit than struggle with expanding. (Can't say I blame them, but still...)

Not so easy. Let's say a school has enough room for 2 classrooms per grade. Where should they put the 3rd class they are being pushed to open?

What happens is, they get a trailer. And no one wants to be in the trailer. Not the teachers, who find it harder to teach there. Not the students, who want to be in the main building. etc....

All the people moving for affordable housing are not necessarily contributing to fund the expense of those extra classrooms.

I don't mean to sound harsh, I share these frustrations. I don't have lots of $$$ either and I'm lucky enough to have moved here when the schools still had more space....

I'm just explaining the reality of why expanding might not be so easy.

not to mention that as the school grows, it's harder on the principal to be on top of things....

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 11:59 am

My sons school has grown from 3 classes when we started to 6 now. The kids do suffer when schools grow so fast. Kids have less chance to shine. Costs go up exponentially. Need to keep building constantly. Lose playing area. Need to hire so much staff. Principals over principals and then don’t know kids.

My girls are in a very small school. The principal is a master principal. She will not let the school grow larger. And I’m glad because it will not be the same school after.

And I didn’t get into school until the month before school started. But is still like to maintain the character of the school they are in. Not every school does well growing.

Bais faiga and cheder each have 10 or more classes. How big should they grow?

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 1:04 pm

The reality is, Lakewood doesn't have the infastructure. Schools don't have room. Thats a fact. The roads were never built to handle the amount of traffic that there is.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 1:27 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
The reality is, Lakewood doesn't have the infastructure. Schools don't have room. Thats a fact. The roads were never built to handle the amount of traffic that there is.

And Mikva. Now it’s better. But a few years ago I was going after 12 am. That’s not infrastructure. The roads are a mess the schools are too small.
People move here from ny and then complain we don’t accomodate. We aren’t welcoming.
Sure it’s a free country to come. But that doesn’t mean there is enough.

Years ago when you got married in Lakewood they asked you give a large percentage of the ma’aser of your wedding presents to support the Mikva. I’m curious how many newcomers support the Mikva besides their fee.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 2:43 pm
Another thing is, I feel that those of us who grew up here just be accepted into schools before others. It makes no sense that new people move in, and those of us who have been here our entire lives then can’t get our kids into school because there’s no room.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 3:21 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Another thing is, I feel that those of us who grew up here just be accepted into schools before others. It makes no sense that new people move in, and those of us who have been here our entire lives then can’t get our kids into school because there’s no room.

I think that's very general, especially if newcomers are supporting some of the schools (or their grandparents are), teaching in the schools, etc....

I have heard that BF/Cheder will accept children of their alumni more quickly than newcomers, as long as the parents have remained BF type. I know people who got in as such. However, newer schools have no such obligation to those who grew up in Lakewood.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 3:44 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
I reported my post. Tons of LH on this chat

And yet it stays open, while other threads get locked just because certain people report them. Seems to be a real double standard that’s quite unfair

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 3:51 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I think that's very general, especially if newcomers are supporting some of the schools (or their grandparents are), teaching in the schools, etc....

I have heard that BF/Cheder will accept children of their alumni more quickly than newcomers, as long as the parents have remained BF type. I know people who got in as such. However, newer schools have no such obligation to those who grew up in Lakewood.

Not so true... a relative of mine who went to BF and had every kind of pull and Yichus couldn’t get in, and she is very frum.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 4:47 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Not so true... a relative of mine who went to BF and had every kind of pull and Yichus couldn’t get in, and she is very frum.

Not all alumni get in. And sometimes it’s just space no other reason. There isn’t enough. But there are spots for alumni reserved every year.
I know my daughters school that limits the school size doesn’t accept all alumni simply because there is no space.

(I’m an old Lakewood family with family high up in bmg still sitting and learning. Names everyone knows. We waited until August to get in. I get that it’s a space issue. My girls went to a school we never even applied to).
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics