Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Real Life Question about Weight

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 12:38 pm
I've never been overweight so if someone can answer.... if someone has aches and pains, hard to move around, hard for the person to get up or sit down, does that have to do with just weight or can you be overweight (not really obese) and also be agile?
I mean if someone was overweight and not majorly obese, would exercise help with moving around if say the person didn't lose a pound or does it have to do only with size?
On the other hand, if the person watched what she ate and lost weight would those aches and pains still be there if she didn't do exercise?

Fabulous

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 1:55 pm
I am a "big girl" and I find I have more aches and pains many times when I exercise. It irritates certain conditions in my feet and back. I do it anyway and deal, but it doesn't make it better. Maybe if I was always skinnier, I wouldn't have some of these problems in the first place. Maybe.

nicole81

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 3:14 pm
I was obese and very active once upon a time. When I consistently paralleled strength training with cardio, I had way less back and knee pain than when I didn't exercise regularly. I was also very flexible, fast, and strong. BMI is only one measure of physical health.

At a healthy weight now for a number of years but unfortunately quite sedentary as of late, I BH don't have the knee pains I did when I was younger, but the back and related pain (sciatica) has been getting worse and worse.

It really depends on the cause of the pain. If it's due to stress on joints, then strength training and general physical activity will definitely help.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 3:44 pm
I’ve never had so much pain as when I weighed over three hundred pounds and did two half marathons over a six month period. Turns out I have bursitis exacerbated my exercise like walking. I still have a hard time getting off the floor but I can zip around for hours in my kitchen cooking with no pain at all whereas I used to be in pain all the time, with my back and legs and feet.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 3:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I've never been overweight so if someone can answer.... if someone has aches and pains, hard to move around, hard for the person to get up or sit down, does that have to do with just weight or can you be overweight (not really obese) and also be agile?
I mean if someone was overweight and not majorly obese, would exercise help with moving around if say the person didn't lose a pound or does it have to do only with size?
On the other hand, if the person watched what she ate and lost weight would those aches and pains still be there if she didn't do exercise?

Is there a person in your life who is overweight and in pain and are you trying to figure out how to advice them so they can fix themselves?

Don't.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 4:44 pm
I believe that the face that I eat very anti inflammatory food means that I can experience fat less pain even though I am still overweight. Lack of pain is one of the biggest bonuses of me eating the way that I do.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 4:49 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Is there a person in your life who is overweight and in pain and are you trying to figure out how to advice them so they can fix themselves?

Don't.

Its my husband. He knows he should exercise and he knows he has to lose weight its just hard to. I keep pushing him to exercise but I want to know if I should focus more on the weight or on the exercise. Hes young yet he acts as if hes 90. He hates these pains and would love if they can be fixed. Which one should I help him more with?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 4:50 pm
andrea levy wrote:
I believe that the face that I eat very anti inflammatory food means that I can experience fat less pain even though I am still overweight. Lack of pain is one of the biggest bonuses of me eating the way that I do.

What kind of foods do you eat/avoid?

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 6:01 pm
I've been on both sides of the coin. I'm currently about 30 lbs overweight. It's a little of column A, a little of column b. I mean, it's simple physics that if you're carrying more weight, your knees and back have to work harder, which might lead to strain. However, exercise really offers a lot of benefits beyond weight management. Movement really does help ease strain, and by strengthening core muscles, you take a lot of pressure off your back, even if you're still the same weight.

Also, it's actually very important not to assume that weight causes pain. It's actually a very serious and widespread issue that overweight people are much more likely to be misdiagnosed or have serious conditions missed because they're just told to lose weight and symptoms are never investigated.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise