Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Every. single. one of our children’s books are ripped and br

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 3:23 pm
Why? Is it like that with all kids?
They don’t even seem so abusive to the books but seriously there’s not one whole book here.
I’m so tired of taping books and finding loose or broken cardboard pages everywhere.
What’s the secret?

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 3:28 pm
I remember those days. If it wasn't ripped to shreds, then in was colored on so much that you couldn't read it anymore. Every single book. I reordered the ones I really liked and kept them out of reach for ME to read to them only, until they got older. And I gave them old magazines to destroy instead.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 3:35 pm
Honestly, that's why I have an e-reader.

LiLIsraeli

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 3:37 pm
This drives me nuts. I took such good care of my books when I was a kid. Now I've passed on some of them to my kids and I'm so disappointed by how poorly they treat them... books lying open on the floor, falling apart, covered in food stains, and some destroyed. Makes me upset whenever I see them Sad

Lizzie4

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 3:50 pm
The laminated/hard cardboard books might be a bit better

zaq

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 4:15 pm
Totally normal. The books aren’t torn to pieces but “loved to pieces”. If a kiddie book isn’t damaged, it’s probably not being used.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 4:40 pm
Crying I know how you feel! My toddler is the same. Gives me a grin and tells me 'tear' as he does so. Wish I knew the secret as well. My others never did this level damage, yes books got worn, but not torn to pieces.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 4:58 pm
Lizzie4 wrote:
The laminated/hard cardboard books might be a bit better

Those are the majority of my books!
The paper part of the cardboard is ripped off or actually broken off.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 5:03 pm
Honestly this is because we don't spank them the first time they do it.

Whether you say "maybe we should bring back spanking" or "better a damaged book than damaged kid" is another whole debate not for this thread.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 5:06 pm
Some kids do this. My first two were not rippers. Most books made it through, battered but okay. My third destroyed EVERY SINGLE book. And not because I didn't discipline him or try to keep him away from the books! All it took was one 3 year old leaving the book on the couch for a minute when going to get another and the baby destroyed it.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 5:07 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:

Whether you say "maybe we should bring back spanking" or "better a damaged book than damaged kid" is another whole debate not for this thread.

Aside from that, it would discourage reading.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 5:39 pm
Didn't read all the above replies, but my expirience is that this is normal particularly when the children are boys. It's just a phase and hopefully they will gain from the content in the books so it will all be worthwhile...

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 6:10 pm
When toddlers are too rough around something that I don't want to get ruined, I put it out of reach. Books can be on a high shelf and looked at when an adult is able to supervise. Spanking is a super weird way of dealing with toddlers exploring their world.

cm

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 6:17 pm
What age kids? Makes a big difference.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 6:18 pm
My daughter kept all the books beautiful in new condition. When my son started reading books they started falling apart, getting food stained.... I try to look at the positive side of it and be thankful that he's reading.

Stars

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 6:29 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:

What?

ectomorph

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 6:34 pm
Well, I give my kids a good spanking if they dare rip a book. Yet they rip them all the time.

Lol, just kidding. I get all my books from thrift shops a dollar each for this exact reason. And Jewish books I only buy laminated and keep separately where they won't get destroyed.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 11:36 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Didn't read all the above replies, but my expirience is that this is normal particularly when the children are boys. It's just a phase and hopefully they will gain from the content in the books so it will all be worthwhile...

I only have girls and most of my toddlers' books are ripped and broken.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 11:43 pm
Our rule is simple- no books on the floor! They are read and put back on the shelf right away, I tell them they can even stack them on the shelf sideways so long as they're on the shelf when theyre done. books dont just lay around. We read and then put them back.
Books can be on couches and tables but no books on the floor! Repeat again and again.

abaker

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 11:50 pm
I disagree that it's just how it is. My little ones have probably 200 books and BH they are in great condition. They love taking them into bed, reading on the couch, wherever. We don't let them build with them, stack them up, step on them, or leave them laying around. We just encourage them to care for them properly and to be gentle. Theres probably 1 or 2 pages out of all the books that have tape on them and maybe 1 or 2 that have a scribble on them. How old are your kids? I would take all the books away and then put 3 books out. Show the children how to look at the book on their lap, turn the pages carefully, and put it back on the shelf. Add a few more books each day when you see the children are using them nicely.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics