Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Age appropriate?

mommyfish

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 8:33 am
My DC is over two years old and still puts EVERYTHING in her mouth. Dr is not concerned but my other one was not like this at all. Is this age appropriate or a sign of something else?

ectomorph

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:36 am
Within the normal range. Try a teething necklace if it bothers you

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:42 am
mommyfish wrote:
My DC is over two years old and still puts EVERYTHING in her mouth. Dr is not concerned but my other one was not like this at all. Is this age appropriate or a sign of something else?

Doctors are not the experts in that area. Get her evaluated for speech and maybe OT.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:44 am
Often a sign of craving oral input. I agree with trying a teething necklace.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:47 am
My sensory seeking DD did that for years. I told her a million times "If it's not food, don't put it in your mouth!" She just loves different textures. It was another way of her using her senses to explore the world. She only really outgrew it when her friends started commenting that it was weird.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:59 am
It's a sensory issue. Give it a couple of months, if she doesn't outgrow it by then I would take her for an evaluation.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 11:23 am
My toddler did the same. It drove me nuts! I ended up getting her a "biting toy" which she knew she can bite and put in her mouth whenever she needed. I got it from funandfunction.com, they have a lot of different options and types.
It took a few weeks/ months don't really remember so well but eventually she stopped putting other things in her mouth.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics