Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Someone with Medicaid - Bill from ER

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:33 am
If a family with Medicaid goes to the ER and are provided with services by a provider (I.e. doctor, hyperbaric chamber, therapist, etc.) Who does not accept Medicaid can they legally be charged?

Where in NYS does it say yes or no?

lone

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:39 am
No they can not be charged

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:39 am
lone wrote:

Do you know where in the law it states that? Because I was told yesterday that they can be.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:41 am
lone wrote:

Do you know where in the law it states that? Because I was told yesterday that they can be.

Cmon be nice

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:43 am
I believe that somewhere in all the fine print it says that doctors may bill separately, as they may not take medicaid but still treat you but I can't tell u where it says that. I've had that experience. I'm sorry that you need to deal with this

lone

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:45 am
I had personal experience where certain things were aperrntly not covered by insurance but I wasn’t charged bc I was on Medicaid ..
Call Medicaid ask them.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:45 am
Cmon be nice wrote:
I believe that somewhere in all the fine print it says that doctors may bill separately, as they may not take medicaid but still treat you but I can't tell u where it says that. I've had that experience. I'm sorry that you need to deal with this

So that means legally they can?
I'm asking for client who has a judgment of $22,000 after receiving lifesaving treatment and all attorneys I contacted were not helpful.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:47 am
http://chirblog.org/new-york-l.....ling/

tweety1

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So that means legally they can?
I'm asking for client who has a judgment of $22,000 after receiving lifesaving treatment and all attorneys I contacted were not helpful.

They can not be legally charged. Btdt! You have to fight. Sometimes months. I at one point let it go to collections. At that point I called collections, gave them my info and the matter was over. Other times I had to threaten to call forgot the name of the dept and only then was it solved. But it can take a long long time

groovy1224

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:55 am
Was this an in-network hospital?

I'm not sure where the law stands on this currently, but I know this has been an issue for many consumers, and people are having more success fighting these surprise charges.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:57 am
I believe that if it’s an emergency then you should not be billed. A few years ago our son had an accident on his hand and a top plastic surgeon was called by hatzolah to Maimonides hospital. We were not billed for any service for the full care (about 3 months). Medicaid was billed.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:57 am
Medicaid does not cover all tests or lab imaging done in the ER. But I think that legally, they cannot charge you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics