Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Kids were sent home
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 8:55 am
Creditcards, daycamp is an extra. If someone can't afford it, it's time for camp mommy. It's not the daycamps issue that all the kids friends are in daycamp and they won't have what to do. There's a nice number of kids in my area that are not in daycamp for whatever reason.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:00 am
Day camp is not always an extra, a luxury. When both parents work full time who is supposed to watch the kids? Day camp is actually cheaper than a babysitter--I've crunched the numbers in the past.

creditcards

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:04 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Creditcards, daycamp is an extra. If someone can't afford it, it's time for camp mommy. It's not the daycamps issue that all the kids friends are in daycamp and they won't have what to do. There's a nice number of kids in my area that are not in daycamp for whatever reason.

It's an extra if there is a nice amount of kids that are not in camp. My daughter is in chasidish daycamp. She is going on the same bus to the same school building she went to school a whole year. The only difference is that they don't learn all day. They play fun games but they don't do crazy things that some camps do. All her school classmates are now her bunkmates and there aren't any kids that are staying home.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:10 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Day camp is not always an extra, a luxury. When both parents work full time who is supposed to watch the kids? Day camp is actually cheaper than a babysitter--I've crunched the numbers in the past.

But if a parent is at home?

creditcards

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:21 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
I just want to add that when I was in school, the school regularly sent home girls who's parents were behind on tuition. I was never one of them, even though I knew for a fact that my parents were definitely behind on my tuition. The girl who got sent home? The girl who's parents went on frequent vacations, had a nice house, etc. etc. I don't know if this is the standard across the board, but I've noticed that most schools and yeshivos are reasonable and understand when the parents are truly trying but just don't have. Unfortunately, there are always exceptions, and it's these exceptions who make it onto this board Twisted Evil .

And to be honest a kollel man who owes $70,000 in tuition and who doesn't want to work (did he look for a job? Maybe he couldn't find anything?) sounds a little over the top. And I believe in the kollel system.

When I was in school they sent home whoever didn't have a registration card. We kids didn't know that this means tuition wasn't paid. The school just told us to tell our parents that we can't come to school without the card. I thought it's just a technical aspect of registering that my parents did not take care of. I figured it out myself a little later on. None of the kids got embarrassed. Sensitivity goes a long way.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:28 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
But if a parent is at home?

On my street, few mothers drive and there is a small playground on West Central and another on West St.
Finkelstein library is walking distance as long as secular books are not a problem but for those who are it's not an option.
School Depot, Wise Buys and Amazing Savings are all in walking distance and all have toys, games, and crafts but it gets costly if it is for several children who are all home for several weeks.
What suggestions do you have for such parents?

amother
White

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:41 am
I have precisely one credit card ‘for emergencies.’ The thing has been basically maxed out at $5K for four years due to the school not letting my kids back because of tuition arrears. The only thing I’ve ever charged on that stupid card is tuition, and I cannot afford more than the minimum payment, so I really feel like I will be swimming upstream trying to pay this balance off.
Honestly, everyone seems to understand that charging another Jew ribbis is an aveirah, but why do the schools not have an issue with coercing families into a ribbis situation (with a credit card) to pay tuitions they can’t begin to afford? It’s seriously like blackmail.... pay ribbis to your VISA card or your kids can sit home alone all day while you’re out working trying to buy groceries and pay basic utilities/rent.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:44 am
I believe op said that its day camp/cheder which might be different then regular daycamp in terms of necessity. For other kids with a stay at home mom I think that parents should talk to each other about choosing to keep their kids home so that they save money and their kids have friends. I kept my kids home this year and other kids are starting to but wish more would in terms of friends for my children.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 10:02 am
Creditcards, so if both parents work the daycamp is supposed to take the kids for free??? If so, we should all demand free daycamp. School is a must, daycamp is not.
But OP is talking about regular cheder, not daycamp.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 10:04 am
southernbubby wrote:
On my street, few mothers drive and there is a small playground on West Central and another on West St.
Finkelstein library is walking distance as long as secular books are not a problem but for those who are it's not an option.
School Depot, Wise Buys and Amazing Savings are all in walking distance and all have toys, games, and crafts but it gets costly if it is for several children who are all home for several weeks.
What suggestions do you have for such parents?

Finkelstein Library probably has the largest selection of Jewish books of any public library in both English and Yiddish for children.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 10:27 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Finkelstein Library probably has the largest selection of Jewish books of any public library in both English and Yiddish for children.

The juvenile section has them mixed in with the other books and because they are in demand it may be that there isn't much to choose from for kids who need many hours of activities. I agree that on the second floor there are loads of options for older kids and adults.
Where do you find Yiddish books for children in the juvenile section?

southernbubby

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 10:28 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
I believe op said that its day camp/cheder which might be different then regular daycamp in terms of necessity. For other kids with a stay at home mom I think that parents should talk to each other about choosing to keep their kids home so that they save money and their kids have friends. I kept my kids home this year and other kids are starting to but wish more would in terms of friends for my children.

I agree that co-op arrangements would free many families from the tyranny of the yeshivas and camps.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 10:29 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:

As mentioned above several times, the cheder is charging on a 12 months tuition base. Even if I don't send they still charge for the summer. And anyways, I don't think it's healthy to keep boys home all summer.

Im sure u don't really believe that we're sitting with folded hands and waiting for everyone else to pay for our kids!

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 11:13 am
southernbubby. to clarify there's no coop arrangement. its just more fun when there are other friends around for playdates... it's not an official round robin or anything. I wouldn't want that.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 11:39 am
Dear OP, first of all hugs! I feel terrible for you! My only advice is that you should reach out for help! I was in a very similar situation few years ago and my biggest mistake was not reaching out for help ( family and close friends ) right away. We were also well off initialy and always paid full tuitions, so when things started to get bad , I could have gotten help instead of accumulating credit card debt and driving DH crazy! You would be surprise to find out how many people go through financial ups and downs ! May Hashem send your family abundant Parnasa and you will be in the position to help others!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 12:08 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Dear OP, first of all hugs! I feel terrible for you! My only advice is that you should reach out for help! I was in a very similar situation few years ago and my biggest mistake was not reaching out for help ( family and close friends ) right away. We were also well off initialy and always paid full tuitions, so when things started to get bad , I could have gotten help instead of accumulating credit card debt and driving DH crazy! You would be surprise to find out how many people go through financial ups and downs ! May Hashem send your family abundant Parnasa and you will be in the position to help others!

Amen!!! I'm praying everyday not to reach to a point to have to get to matnas buser vdom... Hoping I'm not there yet... All cc are maxed out, but hashem cld always do wonders. Waiting for some miracle to happen. I can't go to family cuz I don't Wana owe them my life afterwards.
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics