Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Water-based or oil-based finish for new wood floor
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 2:02 pm
What is the difference between water based or oil based finishes for a new wood floor?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 12:05 am
anyone?? I really want to know whats more popular these days? and what the diff is btw the two...

wow

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 12:12 am
Water based is definately more popular nowadays. I don't know enough about both to tell you the difference though.

momsrus

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 12:22 am
No idea

But if you don’t live In a private house, please let your neighbor know what you are planning to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 12:36 am
momsrus wrote:
No idea

But if you don’t live In a private house, please let your neighbor know what you are planning to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why?

happyone

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 12:45 am
oil based is more durable. the water based do not last although the companies push as it's easier to apply and less expensive products. people are afraid of moisture cure but if you have a private house and move out for a week, that's the way to go. most important is good ventilation.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 12:46 am
momsrus wrote:
No idea

Exactly!

unfair that it starts smelling with dangerous chemicals in air without giving neighbors a choice to get out.

Moisture cure is illegal.

Water base shouldnt smell, plus a fan to extract fumes

Im dealing with this now. One neighbor doing stuff, didnt let know, no fan, very bad chemicals in air tested with machine.

I am in hi risk pregnancy & sensitive -allergies & my son is returning from Camp simcha- he is a cancer patient.

every time someone in my bldg made oil paint he relapsed. He can't relapse anymore because they dont have treatment options for him anymore.

They were spoken to by a pro about danger to him, they all signed they will hold off with renovations in meantime, but still go ahead. They dont think that they can literally kill my child chas vsholom

I escaped, ended up booking in hotel but dont have money for it, still waiting for a sponsor.
Have to approach my neighbor to at least take a fan, which I feel akward doing. Dont know how I can bring my son home otherwise etc.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 12:48 am

momsrus

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 1:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Why?

Because the smell and fumes will not only be in your apartment, it will pass to your neighbors and they will need to move out too!

momsrus

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 1:30 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
Exactly!

unfair that it starts smelling with dangerous chemicals in air without giving neighbors a choice to get out.

Im dealing with this now. One neighbor doing stuff, didnt let know, no fan, very bad chemicals in air tested with machine.

I am in hi risk pregnancy & sensitive -allergies & my son is returning from Camp simcha- he is a cancer patient.

every time someone in my bldg made oil paint he relapsed. He can't relapse anymore because they dont have treatment options for him anymore.

They were spoken to by a pro about danger to him, they all signed they will hold off with renovations in meantime, but still go ahead. They dont think that they can literally kill my child chas vsholom

I escaped, ended up booking in hotel but dont have money for it, still waiting for a sponsor.
Have to approach my neighbor to at least take a fan, which I feel akward doing. Dont know how I can bring my son home otherwise etc.

I'm sorry, this is so upsetting

happyone

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 1:33 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
Exactly!

moisture cure is not illegal. They swapped the illegal product for safer moisture cure options. They are just very pricey and only come in small cans requiring many cans for a complete floor. you can find it in your local Home Depot legally on the shelves. The smell is same for both. I just did so much research and regardless of product its safest to move out for a week .

happyone

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 1:34 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
Exactly!

refuah shelaima to your son!

tweety1

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 1:37 am
My mother got asthma from moisture cure. That's before it was illegal. Many many yrs ago.

dankbar

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 3:47 am
I have a family member who works in flooring. He says all new fancy big homes are getting water base nowadays

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 5:07 am
Oil-based is a lot more durable. It doesn't have to be a glossy finish; you can get semi-glossy or matte in an oil-based finish as well. We did it before we moved in. We have a private house OOT with plenty of space around it, so there were no ventilation problems. It did smell terrible for a week after it was done.

I have heard that you can buy wood that is pre-finished. If it's true, that would solve the ventilation issues.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 7:45 am
Here is an article on the pros and cons of using pre-finished wood.
https://www.thespruce.com/pref.....14693

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 7:59 am
This is a really good article on the benefits of oil vs water. https://theflooringgirl.com/fe.....oors/ .

Bottom line: oil lasts a lot longer and looks better. If you use a water-based finish, you'll be doing it at least twice as often. There are some exceptions, such as if you want a gray finish (oil-based finishes amberize, and yellow+gray looks bad) or if you use maple.

It's worth reading the whole article.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 8:34 am
I did (an amber colored) oil based finish over grey stain a couple of years ago because for some reason the person who was doing it was going to charge us over 1k more to go with water based varnish. At that time I thought it was a more expensive product but now I don't know it it was or he just wanted to make more money. Regardless the floor ended up looking a very pretty taupe grey/ brown.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 8:57 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
I did (an amber colored) oil based finish over grey stain a couple of years ago because for some reason the person who was doing it was going to charge us over 1k more to go with water based varnish. At that time I thought it was a more expensive product but now I don't know it it was or he just wanted to make more money. Regardless the floor ended up looking a very pretty taupe grey/ brown.

Water-based finishes are more expensive in two ways:
1- You need 4 coats of water-based finish vs 3 coats of oil-based finish
2- Water-based finishes last 3-5 years vs 8-10 years for oil-based finishes, so you have to get your floors refinished twice as often.

I don't think it's just that the person who is doing it wants to charge more. T

amother
Red

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 9:27 am
Oil base is much more dangerous than water base
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics