Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Tie dye on clothes

studying_torah

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 5:19 pm
Ugh a few of my kids did tie dye in camp (wish they would let us know to have the kids wear junk clothes , but the camps did not) and it got all over the clothes.
Any way to rescue them?
(Unfortunately one of them went thru the washer & dryer with the tie dye so that's prob a lost cause.)

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 8:14 am
Trying to figure out how to get the tie dye off my DD’s hands!

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 10:19 am
Hands - just wait a couple of days, it'll grow out.

Clothes - deep sympathy but since the point of dye is to not come out of fabric, you're out of luck. If you'd hand washed it right away there might have been some hope, but it sounds like this was at least yesterday.

The camp definitely should have let you know. I run an art program and whenever we're doing something non-washable I send out notice to parents the day before. But as a parent my general policy is to never send kids to camp in clothes I care much about. By the end of the summer at least half will be trashed no matter what.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 5:26 pm
Yep it's still in the skin & hair even after washing & showers.
The clothes.... ugh!

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 5:42 pm
The hair?!! How did that even happen?
I did about 60 large tie dye projects yesterday, kept forgetting gloves, it looked like dye had seeped into every layer of my skin but it's actually already quite faded. I was expecting much worse. My nails are probably going to be gross for a while though. The shirt I wore is garbage. It was too hot to wear a smock.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 6:20 pm
seeker wrote:
I did about 60 large tie dye projects yesterday, kept forgetting gloves, it looked like dye had seeped into every layer of my skin but it's actually already quite faded. I was expecting much worse. My nails are probably going to be gross for a while though. The shirt I wore is garbage. It was too hot to wear a smock.

When kids have the dye all over their hands, and touch their hair Sad

I did a tie dye project with my kids at home, one day. As careful as I was, they still managed to touch things they shouldn't have

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 6:35 pm
My DD’s hands are fading BUT under her nails... are TERRIBLE!!! And it’s the 9 days so I can’t even trim her nails..
I would have her soak her fingers in nail polish remover or alcohol BUT same camp took them on a surprise biking trip so she has blisters on her fingers!

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 6:44 pm
Omg @ biking blisters. Poor kid. Just wait it out. And if it's a young kid (young enough to get dye in hair!!) just cut the nails...

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 7:05 pm
seeker wrote:

Hope you don't need to go to the Mikvah tonight
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry