Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much did u pay for braces?? Does insuranc cover them?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 3:19 pm
I have a dental insurance and the in network orthodontosts ARE NOT ALLOWED to charge more than the amount of $ that the insurance will pay plus wat the insurance says I must pay...

So the dentists are dishonest and get around this and are dishonest bec the insurance only covers 24 mnths so they can just say that it takes longer and then charge watever for the time past 24 mnths...

I went to ortho who says he participates in network but he started quoting me price and ignoring insurances limit so in end he is charging me 2000 for 6 extra mnths and is only getting 2500 for 24 mnths...obviously hes working around the insurances limit to charge more...

So im sure others do this bec nothing stops them from saying itll take longer than 24 mnths and then they can charge me the $ difference for the extra mnths so its like they are not following the insurance..

Do ppl pay that much 3k or more for braces???

Im going for 2nd opinion but I have a feeling they are dishonest and extend the time to be able to charge anything and get all their $ as if they are out of network

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 3:24 pm
I believe most people pay $5/6,000.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 3:31 pm
I use a very honest orthodontist, who I trust completely. Pay about $4,500 per kid, depending on the treatment plan. Insurance pays $1,200 and I pay the rest. BH they are flexible about installment plans. My daughter had her braces remove already and I am still paying monthly.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 3:32 pm
It costs $6,000. My insurance paid $1500 and I paid the rest. This covers everything including follow up appointments after your child gets the braces removed and the retainer etc.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 3:37 pm
I paid $5,100 per child. My insurance paid about $500.

simcha2

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 3:40 pm
My kids ranged 4500-5650.

Insurance covered $1500 each.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 4:05 pm
Thanks everyone for responding. So, u all paid a lot of $$.

But, I would have to pay that much if I go to someone who accepts my insurance but is not in network...the ortho I went to today was in network so hes dishonest for charging his regular fee.

Im curious to all of u who paid so much did u go to in network ortho or just someone who "accepts ur insurance" and u paid the difference???(these are 2 different things)

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 4:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

But, I would have to pay that much if I go to someone who accepts my insurance but is not in network...the ortho I went to today was in network so hes dishonest for charging his regular fee.

Im curious to all of u who paid so much did u go to in network ortho or just someone who "accepts ur insurance" and u paid the difference???(these are 2 different things)

My insurance pays $500 per child toward any Orthodontist I choose to go to.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 4:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Our orthodontist was in network and billed a total of $6,000. Insurance only paid $1500 no matter who we would use. That was the max they covered for an orthodontist. They needed $1500 down and the rest was on a payment plan where they charged our cc $150 monthly.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 4:45 pm
Nj family care...they don't cover anything unless there is something majorly wrong with teeth so most ppl aren't covered!
Actually $3000 sound really cheap. I don't know anyone that pay that little!

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 5:21 pm
My insurance pays $2,000.
I still haven't decided whether to go to 2 Drs everyone around here goes to and are happy with, and pay $3,000 more OR go to someone no one heard of and pay "only" $1,000 additional.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 6:51 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Nj family care...they don't cover anything unless there is something majorly wrong with teeth so most ppl aren't covered!
Actually $3000 sound really cheap. I don't know anyone that pay that little!

I had nj care cover the WHOLE thing for one child whose mouth was deformed by horrible crooked teeth and overcrowding.
I have another child going in soon for X-rays to send to the insurance company. I doubt they will cover at all because it simply looks like buck teeth to me. But I’m still hoping....

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 7:20 pm
I've never heard of dental insurance being fully covered. Dentists can bill above what insurance pays. And its still legal. Have no clue about orthodontia.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 7:50 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
I've never heard of dental insurance being fully covered. Dentists can bill above what insurance pays. And its still legal. Have no clue about orthodontia.

Thanks everyone for responding.

I pay my dentist only copays but it was hard to find someone in network. (Although my insurance has high copays for crowns and...)

I do know the orthodontist was dishonest. I called my insurance to ask....and they said he cant charge more but he quoted me a higher price before saying how long itll take.

I guess ill have to find another orthodontist but maybe ill have to pay more than expected.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 7:52 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:

Thanks everyone for responding.

I pay my dentist only copays but it was hard to find someone in network. (Although my insurance has high copays for crowns and...)

I do know the orthodontist was dishonest. I called my insurance to ask....and they said he cant charge more but he quoted me a higher price before saying how long itll take.

I guess ill have to find another orthodontist but maybe ill have to pay more than expected.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics