Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Frum (dati leumi) Communities- Info on Modiin

Shargal

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 7:28 pm
We're Orthodox and seriously thinking of making Aliyah the following year. We are looking into a few communities in Israel- Modiin being one of them. Many people we know- who are frum- are telling us to check out Modiin. Curious if anyone on here lives in modiin or did at one point and can tell us a bit more about their experiences there.

Thank you!

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 11:57 pm
I have a lot of family and friends in Modiin and have spent a lot of time there. I love it.
My DH already owned a house in a diff city when we got married or else we would be living there.
There's 3 main neighborhoods. Givat C, Kaizer, Buchman
Most of my friends cover their hair but not all. It's very easy going. VERY kid friendly city.
What specifics do you want to know?

Shargal

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 8:25 pm
We heard A) it's very secular and B) It can feel like an Anglo bubble. Did you find this to be the case?

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 11:12 pm
It's a city. A large, mixed city. The neighborhoods are definitely mixed religious and secular. I don't really know what you mean by "it feels secular".
There are a ton of shuls and plenty of religious schools. Are there cars on Shabbat? Of course.
I lived in a very mixed neighborhood of Jerusalem so I guess it doesn't bother me. If you want more religious life you need a religious yishuv or a city like RBS.
It is known to be one of the Anglo bubble cities. But there are thousands of hebrew speakers who live in Modiin as well. In my opinion, it is what you make of it. If you make an effort to get to know your Israeli neighbors you will have Israeli friends, but in all likelihood you will probably socialize with Anglos, yes.
You should definitely come on a pilot trip and get a feel for it.
You don't mention what else is important to you so it's hard to give you the full picture and balance everything out.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 3:35 am
Shargal wrote:
We heard A) it's very secular and B) It can feel like an Anglo bubble. Did you find this to be the case?
We lived in one of the above mentioned neighborhoods of modiin a few years ago. It felt both like an anglo bubble and like a very secular city Wink

And thats because that is what it is. It is a very large mixed religious and secular, city.
But you can find certain areas that are very much anglo bubbles as well.

It also is very modern, if that matters one way or the other. You will find women who cover all their hair and others who dont cover and women who wear pants and tank tops and others who cover their elbows at all times. Its a completely mixed bag.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 4:00 am
Isnt it known as a dorming city? In other words, a suburb city where people all commute to other places.

Does it have all the cafes, culture, vibe of a city where people work? I am just asking, as I would also like to know more.

essie14

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 4:07 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Isnt it known as a dorming city? In other words, a suburb city where people all commute to other places.

Does it have all the cafes, culture, vibe of a city where people work? I am just asking, as I would also like to know more.

There is some industry in the city and there's definitely more coming, but yes, a significant number of people commute out of the city, but there are lots of cafes. Not much culture but very easy to get everywhere: TA, Jlem, etc.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 4:25 am
Double
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions