Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Mishpacha Magazine had photos of women in Shavuos issue
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 4:02 pm
They are a business, so every decision they make is a business decision. What does that have to do with ethics?

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 4:08 pm
It is dishonest to couch a business decision as a religious one.
That tells about their ethics.
Btw, a few years ago I read an interview of Pinchos Lipschitz (by Ari Goldman but I don't recall the publication) where he stated that if Hillary won the upcoming election, he would start posting her pic. That it would be disrespectful to the President not to.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 4:17 pm
Laiya wrote:
I think your description of the JO is the key point. The JO's entire focus was articles on Torah topics.

Lifestyle magazines, by definition, cover topics such as leisure, fashion, travel, culture.

The frum lifestyle magazines actively promote secular values, and I'm not even referring to this topic of photos. Maybe not every article, but certainly the majority of the ads. Of course without the ads there would be no magazine, so what can you do. [/sarcasm]

I just find it rather disingenuous that people claim to support the lack of women in photos out of concern for looking to preserve our values, yet apparently are fine with the other, very clearly secular values that are promoted in the magazines.

I'm not fine with either.
In an ideal world, the magazines would have pictures of down-to-earth women (looking real, not made up), and have articles ranging from inspiration to how-to-do-it-yourself to gardening to cooking to educational to career oriented (all sorts of careers) to self empowerment to psychology to fitness...

amother
Green

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 1:22 pm
https://mishpacha.com/contributors/

Women!

cnc

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 1:25 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:

Women!

Oh wow!
It’s fascinating to put the names to the faces.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 1:27 pm
new website looks really nice!

Laiya

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 1:32 pm
Nice first step!!

STMommy

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 3:51 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:

Women!

I'm so excited to see this!!!!!!!

Very side unrelated note...does anyone have an email address for Rabbi Eytan Kobre? It turns out I have a connection to him and I want to write him a note.

mha3484

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 4:08 pm
This is great!!! Also really like the look of the website over all.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 5:45 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:

Women!
While its very nice that there are women on the internet, that crowd it a whole other basket of lemons from those that are reading the magazine and not going on the internet.
Just pointing that out.

ChutzPAh

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 9:23 am
They can leave out the pictures of the men- we already know what they look like.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 9:39 am
Lol- Are my husband and I the only ones who werent excited when they put pictures of the men in their magz? We had clear images in our brains of what the men “for sure” looked like and the real images turned out to be anything but! I guess I can say the same for posting pictures of the women at this point: if its there all along then thats the image in my brain but now its hard to switch gears!

amother
Black

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 8:05 am
"I'll have to leave a message for DS in yeshiva about where he hid it"

LOL I'll keep my snarky comment to myself. But seriously: I'm OK with Mishpacha not showing pictures of women. Why is their external appearance so important? Do they not have an inherent value in the content they are contributing, without all of us needing to see what they look like on the outside?? That bothers the feminist in me.

The other problem : In other Jewish newspapers/magazines I've noticed that once they allowed photos of women, it became really hard to know where to draw the line. Non-religious woman contributor who is married but doesn't cover her hair? Non-jewish political figure's cleavage? A high school running an ad with a picture of girls sitting at desks in mini-skirts? Female pop star playing in Tel Aviv with barely anything on? Even if 'out in the real world' most of us unfortunately cannot help but see this kind of portrayal of women in news, billboards, and advertising....that is really not what I want to keep around on the Shabbos table for my family.

And I am against some of the other 'values' that are portrayed in Mishpacha. One main
thing is the 'kids' clothing ads where the girls are more like 9-11 years old and looking miserable (and very photoshopped) in some insanely expensive dress. I've actually decided to stop buying it recently.

You can start throwing tomatoes now.

Simple1

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 8:13 am
I recently bought a Jewish Press which has pictures of women. None of the pictures were immodest or distasteful. Maybe some didn't fully meet the criteria for yeshivish/Chassidish standards' but that's because it's a MO paper (I think?) and easily rectified when you have an editor with stricter stamdards.
Page 9 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room