Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Sending bochurim to EY for yeshiva

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 1:20 am
Looking for tips and advice--what should be packed, what should be bought there, better to order with blanket express or pay for additional baggage, what important things might I forget...??
All advice welcome!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 9:28 am
Following. Thanks for starting this thread! I'm finding it very overwhelming.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 9:39 am
Following also.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 9:53 am
Great! Now we need advice! LOL

unexpected

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 10:02 am
I didn't get anything there. I packed him up in two suitcases and whatever we forgot (eg his winter coat) we sent in when we knew someone was going. Also, I sent him with a credit card so he was able to get stuff that he needed right away that we b'chlall didn't think of. (eg a bathing suit) Before I actually started packing, I was like oh my goodness how will I do this but once I started it wasn't so overwhelming. Like packing for camp...

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 10:28 am
Ah, if only packing girls was so easy.
(Can you imagine an 18 yo girl needing a bathing suit and being able to obtain one in 15 minutes)

unexpected

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 10:32 am
Haha my son had no idea how to even find a store, or what to do in a store. It definitely didn't take 15 minutes. But it did take less than the month or so it would have taken for me to find someone to bring his...

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 11:42 am
unexpected wrote:
I didn't get anything there. I packed him up in two suitcases and whatever we forgot (eg his winter coat) we sent in when we knew someone was going. Also, I sent him with a credit card so he was able to get stuff that he needed right away that we b'chlall didn't think of. (eg a bathing suit) Before I actually started packing, I was like oh my goodness how will I do this but once I started it wasn't so overwhelming. Like packing for camp...
My ds never used his winter coat. Says it's a waste to send it. A rain coat, yes.
It's basically a regular camp list. It's not worth it to shlep shampoos and other stuff that weigh a lot. You can get those there.

unexpected

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 12:36 pm
Ok so I guess it depends. It was a very cold winter there this past year, my son asked us for it when he needed it. I had him shlep the shampoo and soap and deodorant because I didn't know what was available there and if he would be able to find it in time. I only sent one and he replaced as needed. I didn't send laundry detergent

essie14

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 12:45 pm
Every makolet sells shampoo and soap.
Not worth it to shlep.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 1:25 pm
essie14 wrote:
Every makolet sells shampoo and soap.
Not worth it to shlep.

Yes. But they arrive tired and dirty, and don't know where the nearest makolet is. I found it worthwhile to send some stuff to get started.

MO boys only -- pack football pants. There is a touch football league, and almost all the boys from the MO yeshivas play on Friday morning. But its astroturf, which tears up their legs if they fall.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 1:37 pm
I thought you're not allowed to have liquids (shampoo,etc) in suitcases these days???

Also, aren't they allowed only one bag?

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 1:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I thought you're not allowed to have liquids (shampoo,etc) in suitcases these days???

Also, aren't they allowed only one bag?

You can put in a suitcase, not in a carry-on.

My DD going to Sem. gets 2.
Don't know what the boys get.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 2:09 pm
Ok, thx. Maybe I'll send him with some travel size toiletries to get him started till he knows where to find things there. He only gets one suitcase, so don't want to waste too much room with that.
Anyone use blanket express? Don't know how I'll fit bedding plus clothes... Am curious if it's better to use blanket express or pay for a second suitcase??

Librarian

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 9:39 pm
I used blanket express several times. It worked out very well but be aware that you need an address to deliver to and someone there to open the door for delivery. This may not be possible in a dira situation such as in the Mir. I our case, we had them drop it off at a relative who lives in Yerushalayim and my sons picked it up when they got there.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 10:58 pm
We have used Blanket Express for 4 of kids. We ordered blanket / 2 sheet set/ duvet cover and pillow. Saved so much space and decent quality. We packed the towels, since we had from camp.
Defiantly send with a travel size of soap and shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrush but let him buy large sizes when he gets there.
We sent a lot of deodorant along
sefraim he will get there
Don't bother with rainboots/snow shoes
yes raincoat/rain poncho
yes some form of coat
Use the above advice and pull up a camp packing list and let that be your guide. Israel is no longer a third world country so anything he forgets he can get there(although- I still think the toilet paper needs to get better, but it is much improved from the party streamers they used to call toilet paper LOL )

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 9:28 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
We have used Blanket Express for 4 of kids. We ordered blanket / 2 sheet set/ duvet cover and pillow. Saved so much space and decent quality. We packed the towels, since we had from camp.
Defiantly send with a travel size of soap and shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrush but let him buy large sizes when he gets there.
We sent a lot of deodorant along
sefraim he will get there
Don't bother with rainboots/snow shoes
yes raincoat/rain poncho
yes some form of coat
Use the above advice and pull up a camp packing list and let that be your guide. Israel is no longer a third world country so anything he forgets he can get there(although- I still think the toilet paper needs to get better, but it is much improved from the party streamers they used to call toilet paper LOL )

Thx so much!

amother
Black

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 9:38 pm
Find out if anyone who is returning is leaving things there. My son gave his linen & blanket away.
Open an account in TD bank. Their debit card can be used to withdraw over there.
Roll the clothing when packing, group them in ziplock bags- socks, undershirt etc. this makes it easier to pack, unpack and see what you need.
They need enough clothing and hygiene products for a week, there are laundry services there & They can purchase items they need over there.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 10:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok, thx. Maybe I'll send him with some travel size toiletries to get him started till he knows where to find things there. He only gets one suitcase, so don't want to waste too much room with that.
Anyone use blanket express? Don't know how I'll fit bedding plus clothes... Am curious if it's better to use blanket express or pay for a second suitcase??

The group flights generally get 2 bags. If he’s not going on the group flight, think about paying the $100 for an extra bag. Even without sheets and towels (we used blanket express, not great quality, but it sufficed), he needed 2 bags by time he packed yeshiva clothes, Shabbat clothes, clothes for days off/gym, shoes, sneakers, hiking boots, sweatshirts, jackets and whatever else.

ruby slippers

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 7:53 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
The group flights generally get 2 bags. If he’s not going on the group flight, think about paying the $100 for an extra bag. Even without sheets and towels (we used blanket express, not great quality, but it sufficed), he needed 2 bags by time he packed yeshiva clothes, Shabbat clothes, clothes for days off/gym, shoes, sneakers, hiking boots, sweatshirts, jackets and whatever else.

I agree, also make sure to weigh the bags before you get to the airport.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions