Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
How many more times can you blame naivete??

happyone

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 1:51 am
Seriously? It doesnt end .
https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

Anyone being paid to take a package should know they are putting themself at risk. these girls are over 20 and should know better.
parents should train their children they if the offer is too good, it probably just that or smells unkosher.

Last edited by happyone on Thu, Aug 08 2019, 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total

DrMom

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 1:54 am
Sounds like they also lied:

Quote:
The Askanim said that the girls, aged 20 and 22, were incredibly naive. When they were asked whether or not they were taking a suitcase that didn’t belong to them they responded that they were not. The bag was checked after the women came under suspicion in England.

Amarante

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 9:57 am
How in the world does a JEWISH person take any item not belonging to them onto a plane.

I don't know how many years ago this became the first way that planes were blown up and the question is generally asked because the authorities want to screen out possible bombs.

Frankly I think these girls should have been made an example of just in terms of how behavior like this possible endangers the lives of everyone on a plane they fly on.

But again even if you aren't aware of drug smuggling how can any Jewish person not be aware of terrorists.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 10:56 am
Many frum 20 year olds in e"y are naive /unworldly and don't read the news or know better . It's sad but it's a true excuse .

Amarante

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 11:03 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Many frum 20 year olds in e"y are naive /unworldly and don't read the news or know better . It's sad but it's a true excuse .

I don't know if you are responding to naïveté about terrorism or drug smuggling.

I can buy naïveté about drug smuggling but I can't imagine the level of stupidity in terms of naïveté regarding terrorism for any person - let alone a Jew - let alone an ISRAEI JEW. Banging head Banging head Banging head

With all due respect, with this level of stupidity how does a person actually function in the world.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 11:07 am
Unfortunately there is also a tendency in the frum world to think:

1) Frum people are above nature
2) Frum people are superior to secular laws and authorities
3) Pious looking people are rarely suspected of doing something illegal
4) If I get in trouble, Daddy and the Rabbi will bail me out
5) Hashem is always on my side whenever I do what's best for me.

ora_43

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 11:15 am
Amarante wrote:
I don't know if you are responding to naïveté about terrorism or drug smuggling.

I can buy naïveté about drug smuggling but I can't imagine the level of stupidity in terms of naïveté regarding terrorism for any person - let alone a Jew - let alone an ISRAEI JEW. Banging head Banging head Banging head

With all due respect, with this level of stupidity how does a person actually function in the world.

I can see it. They were probably approached by someone they were acquainted with, who was also part of the hareidi community. There's a high level of mutual trust there. They might have realized that there was rule-breaking involved, but I doubt they would have suspected terrorism.

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 11:20 am
My daughter was on a tour of Poland and was asked by her teacher to check a suitcase for another teacher under her own name.

I told her never to do that again and blame it on me. She honestly thought she was doing a chesed and saving someone money and her teacher asked her to do this for a favorite teacher so how could it be bad.

Presented that way, our girls will likely always say yes.

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 11:22 am
notshanarishona wrote:

I agree with this!

OOTforlife

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 12:19 pm
To be fair, asking people to schlep packages is very common among frum people. I bet at least 20% of the posts to my OOT community list are along those lines, although those are mostly domestic driving trips, not international flights.

The promise of a luxury stay in exchange should've seemed suspicious. I've never seen someone on our list or our WhatsApp offer any kind of payment, much less payment worth hundreds of dollars.

shmosmom

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 12:45 pm
I travel frequently between different countries and am very often asked "can you take pencils for my grandkids, can you take a robe for my daughter in law, homemade cookies for my son in yeshivah" etc.
I always have a hard time saying no but I explain to the people that with the current news and going ons I just can't put myself at that risk. People have been very upset, but I know I have to stick to my guns. Only problem is in laws often ask, and can't really say no to DH parents.
I was also overseas recently and my host asked me to take back his sons meds that he left there the week before. After deliberating for a while I told him I can take it, but that I want a note that it's his and who he is sending it to for Customs, and that he's taking a risk that they may not allow it thru. I told Customs the full truth and gave them the meds and the note for inspection, they gave it back to me and we took it for him. Was definitely an exception rather than the rule.

happymom123

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 12:48 pm
I've taken packages for people internationally. I just open it in front of them when they drop it off and write who it's from and who is getting it on the package. When customs asks if I packed my bag myself I say yes with the exception of the package which I make sure to have on top of the luggage. Never had an issue and don't think it's a big deal to do someone a favor in that way if they're ok with you opening and going through the package contents.

Skippy!!

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 1:03 pm
I don't see how being naive is an excuse for this. It's not like this is the first time something like this happens. At this point, if the community wants to keep their people naive, it's their responsibility to teach them not to take packages for people promising them luxury vacations and paying them large sums of money - if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

When the Japan story happened they should have been raising awareness not giving out lists of rules for how women should improve their tznius.

Fox

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 1:39 pm
This is one of the problems I have with the established norm of using frum travelers as a shipping service.

I get it . . . I really do. The cost of shipping can be ridiculous, particularly given the quality of service. Ironically, the less valuable the item, the more aggravating it is to ship it.

But the practice normalizes a potentially risky behavior.

If it's reasonable to take a small gift from your MIL to her grandchildren, why isn't it okay to take a package from her neighbor? After all, your DH has known the neighbor since he was a kid. She's obviously not a drug smuggler or terrorist!

And if it's reasonable to take a package for your MIL's neighbor, why not the neighbor's DD? Or her friend from her Tehillim group?

Pretty soon it becomes routine. Somebody who knows somebody asks you to take a package, and unlike happymom123, most people don't take the time or energy to handle it responsibly.

While it's easy to shake our heads at the naivete and just plain dumbness involved, remember the old adage of con men everywhere: there is no one who is immune from being conned -- you just have to find their weak spots.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of mitzvahs that are not practical to do because the world is too dangerous a place. How many of us hitchhike or encourage our kids to do so? How many of us welcome an unknown meshulach into our homes for a meal? Heck, many communities have systems in place to help prevent someone from extracting $18 from us on false pretenses!

The practice is taking packages is not one that we should casually normalize. It's surprisingly easy to overlook red flags when you're being asked to do something you consider perfectly reasonable, and criminals take advantage of that mindset.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics