Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Pre K school hours

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 11:44 am
My daughter is 4 turning 5 in November and starting Pre-k at a Cheder this year. The school day is 8:40-3:55. They don’t nap the kids. Is it just me or does this seem like a very long school day? She BH still naps 2 hours a day and gets cranky without napping. The school is 1/2 hour away so I’m assuming she will just nap on the car ride home but any tips for an easier transition? She’s never been in a school day longer then 9-2.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 11:48 am
Sounds perfect to me.

behappy2

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 11:53 am
That is pretty typical. Possibly 30 minutes longer than other schools. They usually put their heads down on their table for 20 minutes with the light shut. Maybe try putting your daughter to sleep earlier and see if she can manage without a nap.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 11:56 am
I don't think it's the norm for a child that age to be taking a two hour nap, so most kids in the class are probably okay with that schedule.
My DS the same age only has school from 8:30-2 and the afternoons are so hard. My older kids come home at 4 so it's not like its enough time to do anything major with him, but it's a long enough time to get very bored

pesek zman

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 11:59 am
Plus going till 2pm makes it very difficult for working families. 4pm dismissal is much more doable

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 12:05 pm
Wow, which city is this? There hours are longer then my elementary aged girls, they're 8:45-3:35. Pre school is 9:45-2:45. These hours are typically in our city. 8:40-3:55 is very long for a 5 year old.

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 12:39 pm
Our schools 4 year old nursery is 8:30-2pm with the option to stay until 3:45 for extra fee.

Pre 1a/K where some kids are 4 still is 8:30-3:45.

At that age my kids had way out grown their nap time and really enjoyed school. Due to our deadline there are some kids that are still 3 when school starts and for them its a really long day especially if their parents need to keep them for the extra afternoon hours. Its one reason of a few that I kept my son back a year in playgroup.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 1:54 pm
I believe it is important for children to have downtime (if not naps) at this age. I’m not asking if this is a good setup- I get that working parents need longer days and some parents want the child out of the house as long as possible. I’m asking about my specific situation with my daughter

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 1:58 pm
Pre k at my kids school is 8:30-4. Yes, I think it's too long, though the vast majority of kids that age are not napping anymore. There are a couple of circle times when the teacher is reading books, not doing a lesson, so kids have the opportunity to zone out or lie on the floor.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 2:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I believe it is important for children to have downtime (if not naps) at this age. I’m not asking if this is a good setup- I get that working parents need longer days and some parents want the child out of the house as long as possible. I’m asking about my specific situation with my daughter

I assume that in pre-K, the kids aren't sitting at desks and reading/writing all day long. There will be plenty of story time and playtime in addition to some more traditional learning.

I'd start trying to wean her from her long naps now, rather than waiting for school to start.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 2:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Not sure what you’re looking for. In researching school (pre-K) options ny first question (even before tuition) was hours. I need long hours. You prefer (based on your child’s needs) short. If these hours don’t work for you, is there a chance any of the other schools have a schedule that would better accommodate her?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 2:36 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Not sure what you’re looking for. In researching school (pre-K) options ny first question (even before tuition) was hours. I need long hours. You prefer (based on your child’s needs) short. If these hours don’t work for you, is there a chance any of the other schools have a schedule that would better accommodate her?

We live out of town and have already exhausted the other option. We are Chabad and the only other viable option is a modern orthodox school that’s $16k a year

angelgirl

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 2:39 pm
Here in the UK, 4 turning 5 is called Reception class. Most schools are 8:45-3:45. My sons school is until 4:15 but that is rather long, certainly at the beginning of the year.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 2:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We live out of town and have already exhausted the other option. We are Chabad and the only other viable option is a modern orthodox school that’s $16k a year

That’s hard. So either your daughter has to adjust and adapt her schedule or you could decide that MO is ok for pre-K. By the time K comes around she’ll (hopefully) outgrow her nap.

L25

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 2:44 pm
would the mo school be willing to work with you tuition wise? hashkafically she's still little.

thats an hr of commute on top of a long day and do you really want your kid napping at 4:00 in the car?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 2:49 pm
L25 wrote:
would the mo school be willing to work with you tuition wise? hashkafically she's still little.

thats an hr of commute on top of a long day and do you really want your kid napping at 4:00 in the car?

BH, They have no reason to work with us tuition wise.

I’m fine with her napping in the car. Maybe this is more of a rant as my oldest child goes to school and I’m having a difficult time accepting the scheduling realities/commute/lack of “customer service” in Chabad schools etc

mom24.7

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 2:50 pm
A 2 hour nap at that age is unusual. My dd has the same schedule. She got used to it after a week.

gibberish

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 2:51 pm
Most preschools give the parents an option if they want their child to nap. Have you asked them if they can accommodate?

L25

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 2:52 pm
ok if that works for you.

if it's just a vent. yeah that stinks Sad sorry to hear.

amother
White

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 3:16 pm
Our pre-K is 8:30 to 3:55, without nap, and it wasn't a problem, but we had a 5 minute car ride. We did not do anything to prepare my daughter, she just adjusted herself by becoming tired earlier in the evening and shifting her bedtime forward about an hour.

When my daughter went to summer camp with a similar schedule, no nap, and a 30 minute car ride, it was a lot more challenging.
She would usually fall asleep during the ride and often try to nap immediately upon getting home. If we couldn't rouse her and let her nap, then her bedtime would be messed up. It was definitely less than ideal.

I don't think your schedule itself is too bad, but the car ride could complicate things. At the same time, your daughter is on the older end of her class, which should help. My daughter did not turn 4 until several months into pre-K.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics