Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Kids behavior in the bungalow colony

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 8:03 pm
Is it just me or do the kids behave wilder, more chutzpah is, more dangerously in the bungalow colony atmosphere than at home/school/ all year round?

I’ve noticed a pattern with my kids that their bad behaviors spike during our time in the country. They’re brattier, more demanding, more chutzpadik, behave dangerously sometimes. The same discipline methods that work at home don’t work in the country. Then when we go back home they’re back to their normal selves. My teen daughter whose happy, well adjusted and popular at home has constant fights with friends over here. My son who’s a typically easy, well behaved kid ventured to the road after I said no, smacks me, demands things like getting ice cream from the ice cream truck every day ( my rule is once a week).
I’ve noticed bad behavior on other kids too, but obviously I’m not disciplining them or telling them what to do. Just things I notice. Kid being fresh to lifeguard and continuing to engage in dangerous behavior despite lifeguard repeatedly warning not to. Mother was at the pool on the phone, not caring. Kids destroying private and communal property. Ignoring or answering back to mothers who tell them to stop.

Anyone else see things like this? Or is it more of a summer thing than a bungalow colony thing?

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 8:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it just me or do the kids behave wilder, more chutzpah is, more dangerously in the bungalow colony atmosphere than at home/school/ all year round?

I’ve noticed a pattern with my kids that their bad behaviors spike during our time in the country. They’re brattier, more demanding, more chutzpadik, behave dangerously sometimes. The same discipline methods that work at home don’t work in the country. Then when we go back home they’re back to their normal selves. My teen daughter whose happy, well adjusted and popular at home has constant fights with friends over here. My son who’s a typically easy, well behaved kid ventured to the road after I said no, smacks me, demands things like getting ice cream from the ice cream truck every day ( my rule is once a week).
I’ve noticed bad behavior on other kids too, but obviously I’m not disciplining them or telling them what to do. Just things I notice. Kid being fresh to lifeguard and continuing to engage in dangerous behavior despite lifeguard repeatedly warning not to. Mother was at the pool on the phone, not caring. Kids destroying private and communal property. Ignoring or answering back to mothers who tell them to stop.

Anyone else see things like this? Or is it more of a summer thing than a bungalow colony thing?

It's more of a too much unstructured time thing.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 8:19 pm
For sure!!!! What do you expect from kids that have Long unstructured undisciplined days where the ice cream truck, sushi truck, etc comes daily and bedtime is after yours...

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 8:25 pm
It's not just a bungalow colony problem. Kids are generally less well behaved in the summer. They come home from daycamp all hyper after doing crazy stuff all day. They have more free time and spend lot's of time outside. The heat also makes them less well behaved.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 8:32 pm
Kids don't know what to do w unstructured time.

little neshamala

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 8:45 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
It's not just a bungalow colony problem. Kids are generally less well behaved in the summer. They come home from daycamp all hyper after doing crazy stuff all day. They have more free time and spend lot's of time outside. The heat also makes them less well behaved.

Its interesting, I see the opposite in my kids. I mentioned this on another thread-during the summer my kids revel in not having to do any homework. Their afternoons and evenings are spent leisurely, overall theyre way more relaxed, and therefore, they behave much less chutzpadikly. We have way less instances where we need to be "mechanech" them.

But we dont live on a bungalo colony style block-so theyre not running around with friends until bedtime. (And we dont go to a bungalo colony). This might make it easier.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 8:49 pm
We don’t go to bungalows and my kids are acting nuts too. It’s every summer. Camp helps. But now camp is over and they are driving me crazy.

ChutzPAh

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 9:51 pm
Are there sushi trucks these days? It’s a long way from the mom’s knishes!

flowerpower

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 9:52 pm
ChutzPAh wrote:
Are there sushi trucks these days? It’s a long way from the mom’s knishes!

This year there is a truck called “Booser”. They have a full fleishig menu.

pizza4

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 10:19 pm
I haven't found this to be true with my kids. The only thing really hard was late bedtime.
Maybe it's some of the kids there that their attitudes are rubbing off onto the others. For example when my dd7 played with some girls she gave me attitude, but when she played with others, she was her sweet self.
In the country kids stay out playing until late, more than at home I think. That makes them a bit kookoo. On the other hand, at home, day camp makes kids hyper and cranky.
I think kids need a balance of structure with lots of time to play on their own (without activities) too.

Blessed4

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 10:49 pm
I found it to be very true for the summers I spent in a colony. A strong reason I wouldn’t go back and haven’t.

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 1:54 am
There's just generally a lot more exposure to other kids and families. Certain kids more than others will pick up on the dysfunctional stuff. There also tends to be a lot more freedom and less supervision. And more time spent with the same few people. The kid who is popular and confident in school can choose which of 25 or so classmates to hang out with, but if the bungalow neighbor's kid is difficult to get along with she's sort of stuck. It's interesting to see how things change in a different setting. You may need to up your parenting game to match. In general I haven't seen kids who are usually fine suddenly start acting wild and chutzpadik. If kids are being fresh to the lifeguard and mom is on the phone not intervening, that's bad chinuch, not a country thing. Likely in school the teachers manage the kids better so your kids are not exposed to this behavior.

And I would trade a sushi truck for a Mom's knish station wagon any day Sad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics