Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/O Parking/driving tickets?

yo'ma

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 8:08 am
Under finances because that's where it hurts the most Wink . What parking or driving tickets have you received or almost received? Were you able to fight it? Get it reduced? Your fault?

I see ayin haras all the time, so I will say that everything that happened was in the past and and it should never happen again!!

I got a parking ticket for alternate side. I parked on the wrong side but before the time and and was going to move it later because I had to get to work, but I forgot. Since I don't and didn't drive much, b'h that was it.

My dh though has been stopped by police, but that's here and here bribery is rampant. There are a few cops that you can't, but most people take that chance. The cops usually hint towards it. Sad!!
We did, but him more because he parked the car, got a parking ticket that I was able to get reduced. He went to a game and came home very late and the only place he found to park was partly in the white lines on the corner. We wouldn't have been able to get it reduced, but I had to go to the hospital in the morning to give birth, so the judge was sympathetic Smile .

My sister told me about her dh once almost got a ticket for making a left turn while someone was crossing. It seems like there's a law now in NY that if someone is about to cross, even if they just step off the curb, you can't turn. He got out of it by claiming the pedestrian motioned for him to go. I was thinking about that this morning because I almost got hit by a car because of a similar type of thing. I was crossing a main two way street and right before I got halfway in middle, this car turns right in front of me a little too quickly. B'h he did because it made me look and another car was coming and I was able to step back, but she also ended up stopping albeit not too late, but shouldn't have gotten so close. They were turning left. It was dark and rainy, but no excuse especially because I wasn't even wearing dark colors.

One time I didn't get a ticket, but if there weren't witnesses I maybe could have gotten in trouble even though it made no sense. I was at a red light on Ave J in the busy area. I don't remember exactly what happened, but people were trying to park or something and the woman behind me claimed that I hit her. I told her she was insane, not that word, because I didn't even change gears. There was a cop nearby and told me to go because he saw that nothing happened.

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 8:28 am
I've never been ticketed for a moving violation but I've had a couple of parking tickets. It's annoying but not worth fighting.

I've been taking risks lately though. Where I live the parking lots are very crowded but worth using because the meters give you more time for your money than the ones on the street. It's hard to get a spot so usually people circle until they see someone who looks like they're leaving and then just wait like vultures to pounce. I've had a couple of times in the last couple of weeks where I finally found a spot and get out and get my baby into the stroller and only then realize that the meter is broken. Technically it's illegal to park at a broken meter but it's too hard to put the baby right back into the car seat and then circle again to find another spot. So I leave a quarter on the meter to show any meter maids that I have good intentions and hope for the best. So far I've been lucky.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 9:25 am
I got 1 street cleaning parking ticket and 1 speeding ticket about 13 years ago. Bh none since then.

singleagain

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 9:36 am
Re: parking at a broken meter

When I a new driver, I went to a doctor and parked on the street, put in money and realized the meter was broken and I was so afraid to get a ticket. I called the Mayor of my town and left him a message that I tried to put in money and the meter was broken and o didn't want to get a ticket. He later called me back and thanked me for letting him know. And he sent someone to check the meters and found several broken meters on that block.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 10:20 am
1. Everything is from Hashem. If it's decreed that you get a ticket and have to pay, then so be it. May it be a kapparah that you never get in a car accident.

2. OBEY THE LAWS. Don't whine when you get a ticket. You know you broke the law, so why don't you think you should face the consequences? Are you that special that the laws shouldn't apply to you?

3. Driving is a privilege. You don't own the roads or parking spaces, unless you pay for them.

I am really tired of posts saying "Oh no, my husband got caught going 20 miles over the speed limit! This is the third time this month, and we can't afford the insurance increase. How can we fight this?" Well for a start, take away DH's car keys. Mad

singleagain

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 10:25 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
1. Everything is from Hashem. If it's decreed that you get a ticket and have to pay, then so be it. May it be a kapparah that you never get in a car accident.

2. OBEY THE LAWS. Don't whine when you get a ticket. You know you broke the law, so why don't you think you should face the consequences? Are you that special that the laws shouldn't apply to you?

3. Driving is a privilege. You don't own the roads or parking spaces, unless you pay for them.

I am really tired of posts saying "Oh no, my husband got caught going 20 miles over the speed limit! This is the third time this month, and we can't afford the insurance increase. How can we fight this?" Well for a start, take away DH's car keys. Mad

I agree that if I break the law I will pay. The only thing I would rather is pay extra money to not get points on my license.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 10:55 am
My DH, who has a clean driving record for years, suddenly got two tickets in a short space of time. I think they are targeting our neighborhood, hanging around in blind spots and getting you. When it's legit, okay we should be following the law, but sometimes it's really unfair.

DH was driving along a street nearby and he saw a car pulled over on the side of the road, so he pulled slightly to the left to pass the car on the right. There were no other cars in sight, so it was safe for him to do this. The pulled over car turned out to be a cop, and he ticketed DH for "improper passing", a 4 pt ticket.

Just a few nights later, another cop ticketed DH for making a left turn when the light turned red. Maybe DH should've waited, but usually, you can complete your turn if you were up for it.

We heard that if you get this many points your insurance goes up, so you are in a catch 22. We hired a lawyer and he got them to dismiss the passing ticket. The other one DH plead guilty to but the judge didn't give him any points due to his good record.

But it cost us a mint anyway....so we are out alot of money that we couldn't really afford, but B"H no points.

Honestly, I feel like it's a crooked business, all of it.

happy12

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 11:00 am
Driving over 25 years. Got a ticket for an unsafe turn. Was in the left lane,signalled to go to the right, went into the right lane ,signalled and made a right turn. Cop says it's an unsafe turn because I should have been in the right lane on a major street.
Was in Staten island were it impossible to fight so I just paid it and took the 2 points.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 11:04 am
happy12 wrote:
Driving over 25 years. Got a ticket for an unsafe turn. Was in the left lane,signalled to go to the right, went into the right lane ,signalled and made a right turn. Cop says it's an unsafe turn because I should have been in the right lane on a major street.
Was in Staten island were it impossible to fight so I just paid it and took the 2 points.

Right so in what way did you break the law if you were able to do this safely? It's the cop's word against yours, he decided it wasn't safe.

That's how I feel about my DH's passing the cop - in what way was it improper?

ETA: I told DH when there are cops around, the best thing to do is just drive straight and do nothing until the cop leaves. I was followed by a cop a week or two ago and I didn't turn anywhere, just stayed put till he left, so I wouldn't give him a reason to ticket me. Otherwise they can just invent something.

I know someone who was driving into her own driveway with her 2nd car, and she bumped into the side of her own car. A cop stopped and ticketed her for damaging her own property.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 11:17 am
In some places it doesn't pay to drive. I have driven in EY but I was not confident about it at all. In big cities, using car service and public transportation is probably cheaper than constantly fighting tickets. In NYC, there are lots of speed cameras and red light cameras which I assume means that you can get tickets without being stopped by the police.
I certainly would not want to hit a pedestrian which is always possible here in Monsey.
OOT there are lots of speed traps and it looks like the Catskills are one of the places where the police hide to catch people.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 11:38 am
Going anon because I've told this story before IRL.

My father came to the US from another country and had his green card for years. Eventually his accountant convinced him to apply for citizenship for tax reasons. The morning of his swearing in ceremony he got bad news of a relative's death. He thought he'd be able to make it to the funeral if he went, but he knew he'd be cutting it close. When he came out of the courthouse he realized that due to traffic patterns he'd have to either make a whole hakafa to go in the right direction or he would have to make an illegal U-turn and of course there was a cop right at the intersection. He didn't want his first act as a citizen to be against the law but he was really in a rush. He went over to the policeman and explained the situation and the cop told him to go ahead and make the U-turn just this once and he promised not to ticket him. My father made it to the funeral just in time.

happy12

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 11:45 am
Chayalle wrote:
Right so in what way did you break the law if you were able to do this safely? It's the cop's word against yours, he decided it wasn't safe.

ETA: I told DH when there are cops around, the best thing to do is just drive straight and do nothing until the cop leaves. I was followed by a cop a week or two ago and I didn't turn anywhere, just stayed put till he left, so I wouldn't give him a reason to ticket me. Otherwise they can just invent something.

I know someone who was driving into her own driveway with her 2nd car, and she bumped into the side of her own car. A cop stopped and ticketed her for damaging her own property.

He admitted it was not illegal. Just unsafe in his opinion.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 12:09 pm
Chayalle wrote:

The cops version will always be believed if it's word against word. The system would break down if a cop can accuse a driver of something and the court would accept a "no I didn't" as a valid defense. With the exception of instances caught by radar, all tickets would be dismissed. The poster you responded to said she signaled and moved from the center lane to the right lane, and then signaled to make a right turn. The cop probably said this was all one move and she basically made a right turn from the middle. She said, no I didn't.

HonesttoGod

Post Sat, Aug 10 2019, 10:01 pm
I’ve had one speeding ticket that eventually got dismissed.
Another speeding ticket via camera so no points and I just paid it.
A whole bunch of parking tickets because I work in an area where parking is impossible and they always find a reason to ticket.

That said, I don’t complain. Is it annoying? Yes but I did something wrong. I was speeding (40 in a 30, on a road where traffic moves at 40) but I know it was wrong and that’s that.
I tried to fight it and I was successful. But if not, I accept it because again, law is law and if you break it you have to pay.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics