Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
I'll ask a Rav but- what do you think?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 10:29 am
I got a meter ticket the other day. I had not realized that the spot was a meter spot. On my windshield, right on top of the ticket, someone put one of those tickets showing the time that I got the parking ticket. The time of the ticket was 11:17, and the interval on the ticket from the meter was 10:25-12:25.

Obviously I will ask a Rav, and I'm expecting a no. But my question is, am I allowed to use the ticket from the meter to fight the parking violation? I'm tempted, especially since I genuinely did not realize that it was a meter spot and it was my 2nd ticket this week Sad

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 10:41 am
“Midvar sheker tirchak”

Last edited by amother on Sun, Aug 11 2019, 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 10:42 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
“Midvar sheker tirchak”

I know, I know. I just feel like everyone else would do it and I'm almost held back by my own sense of honesty...

simba

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 10:45 am
I likely bought that ticket for you. I buy one when I see someone getting ticketed and leave it for them.
It’s not a lie. The parking spot was paid for during that time. Why does it matter if you paid for it or I did?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 10:47 am
simba wrote:
I likely bought that ticket for you. I buy one when I see someone getting ticketed and leave it for them.
It’s not a lie. The parking spot was paid for during that time. Why does it matter if you paid for it or I did?

It's more likely that someone was pulling out of their spot and saw the ticket on my windshield, so they just put their (now used) ticket there. Especially since the meter ticket was bought at 10:25 and I got the parking ticket at 11:17.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 10:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know, I know. I just feel like everyone else would do it and I'm almost held back by my own sense of honesty...

It's between YOU and Hashem.
It's a hard test...but yes, halachically I'm pretty sure it's not allowed.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 10:48 am
LovesHashem wrote:
It's between YOU and Hashem.
It's a hard test...but yes, halachically I'm pretty sure it's not allowed.

Which is why I'm going to call my Rav. Just wanted to know what other people think.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 10:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's more likely that someone was pulling out of their spot and saw the ticket on my windshield, so they just put their (now used) ticket there. Especially since the meter ticket was bought at 10:25 and I got the parking ticket at 11:17.

Here you can't even do that because they take your plate # when you pay for the parking. I used to always offer my unused time to someone else parking close by. Can't do that anymore.

Mothers

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 11:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I wouldn’t do it Very Happy

mlc

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 12:10 pm
I definitely wouldn’t.

urban gypsy

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 12:35 pm
Please post back what your Rav says!

groovy1224

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 12:36 pm
I think you know the answer, OP. I get how tempting it is, and I know people do this, but just remember that if Hashem meant for you to lose that $35 or whatever it is, He will find another way for you to lose it. You will not be saving yourself anything. Be strong and throw those receipts in the garbage.

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 12:51 pm
I just called my husband in BMg. He asked a senior poisek there.

He said if the receipt if from the same meter where you were parked then it is 100% muttar.

If it is from another meter, then technically it is a Toiz Akum. But, since you can possibly get in trouble if they realize it wasn't from your meter, don't do it, just pay the ticket..

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 1:25 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
I just called my husband in BMg. He asked a senior poisek there.

He said if the receipt if from the same meter where you were parked then it is 100% muttar.

If it is from another meter, then technically it is a Toiz Akum. But, since you can possibly get in trouble if they realize it wasn't from your meter, don't do it, just pay the ticket..

Just showed this to my husband - who is admittedly not a senior posek - but has semicha, is learning for many years, has gone through Shas and poskim many times, etc. He doesn’t see how this can be allowed. Both you and the other person were supposed to be paying for your spots (at the same meter) simultaneously. How is it OK to submit a false proof of payment for something you did not pay for? Neither DH nor I get how it is ta’us akum. It is not OK to initiate the ta’us by submitting a false information. It is outright deception.

In any case when it comes to sheker, one is supposed to stay far away (tirchak) from anything that smacks of falsehood, and this is a sheker. Even if there is some technical loophole (of which DH and I are unaware) engaging in borderline/questionable practices is a slippery slope, which often leads to blurring the lines and a reduction in overall honesty. Is it worth compromising your integrity for a few bucks?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 4:41 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
Please post back what your Rav says!

I just found this old post and wanted to update that my Rav said I can't use the meter ticket that the person put on my windshield.

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 5:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I just found this old post and wanted to update that my Rav said I can't use the meter ticket that the person put on my windshield.

Thanks for getting back to us.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions