Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Frustrated—need advice

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 1:47 pm
I began looking for a job after Pesach and finally received two job offers back to back two weeks ago.

The first job offer was for a position at a nursing home company, doing payroll.

The second job offer was for an office assistant position closer to home.

The second job offer made more sense and I accepted it. When I came in to the office to finalize, I was informed that they were going to reduce my salary by more than $2 an hour from the salary amount that they had tentatively offered at my interview. I was upset but still accepted the position.

I discovered today that it is illegal in NY for an employer to ask a potential job candidate what their previous salaries were. When I applied for the job, the sent me an application to fill out and email back to them and one of the questions was how much money I made at my previous jobs.

I feel that my current salary was largely based off of the salary information I gave them. Knowing that this was illegal on their part, I feel frustrated and dumb for just giving them the info without checking first if it’s even legitimate to ask such a question.

My question now is what should I do. I am not happy with my current salary. I don’t want to Chas v’shalom get this company in trouble as I’m assuming they didn’t know better. But I need to stand up for myself....

Any thoughts or ideas?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 1:48 pm
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/cchr......page

crl

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 1:49 pm
Honestly, that’s extremely sketchy on their part. If that’s how they operate as standard procedure, I would just look for another job and leave as soon as you find one.

karat

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 1:51 pm
There is probably nothing you can do now other than look for a new job.

I guess you could try reaching out by email to the nursing company you turned down.
You have nothing to lose.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 2:48 pm
I agree with the above posters. That is not an ehrlich way to do business. See if the other job is still available.

rivkam

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 5:32 pm
You could sue them technically but it's a massive headache and probably not worth it.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 5:57 pm
Actually, in my experience, there are a lot of "small laws" which companies violate and they get away with because there are not enough enforcers and even enforcers are corrupt.

Please dont think companies are keeping all laws. No!! A lot of companies ask for previous salaries, and a lot of companies are doing worse like discrimination(b n h )...and yes, ppl sue over bigger laws being violated, but many companies get away with it.

If u didnt fill out all parts of the application, the company wouldve asked u at the interview and if u wouldnt answer, they may have chosen other ppl BECAUSE THEY ONLY CARE ABOUT PROFITS FOR THEIR COMPANY WHICH MEANS LOWER SALARY FOR U!!

Im sorry that u are now stuck with less than expected and hopefully, u can find something with an increase in salary or maybe u can ask for a raise in a few months....

But, the reality is companies all work this way.........I dont think a lawyer will take a case to sue over this "small" law.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 6:30 pm
Did you ask them about your salary reduction? If not, you can ask nicely, saying I was under the impression that id get x amount per hour, and now I see im getting x-2. And see what they say. If they say something about your previous salary, you can (in a non-confrontational way, as you're just starting out in this company) tell them that you saw, after filing it out, that it is illegal for them to ask, so can they please disregard that info and give you the salary that you thought you were getting. It could be uncomfortable, but it's probably worth it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics