Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Don't like my chulent, what am I doing wrong?
1  2  3  4  Next

mochacoffee

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 4:35 pm
My chulent never consistently comes out good. I'll have some weeks it's great, and some weeks it just tastes a little off. I tried every variation I can think of to enhance the taste, but we still haven't found a chulent we like.
The consistency is not the problem, it's the taste.
Advice appreciated.

This is my basic recipe:

meat
potatoes
onion
beans
barley
salt
onion powder
garlic powder
paprika
cover with water
put up on Friday afternoon, eat on Shabbos at lunch

These are variations I've tried:

meat: all different cuts - premium 'shabbos meat', beef stew, boneless flanken, regular flanken, etc.
with marrow bones, without marrow bones

potatoes: idaho and golden

spices/sauces: honey, black pepper, onion soup mix, crushed garlic, ketchup, bbq sauce, brown sugar, bay leaves, etc.

tichellady

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 4:36 pm
Have you tried beef cheek

Blue jay

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 4:38 pm
More bbq sauce. Like a half a cup to a cup!

I recommend “Stubbs” bbq sauce, excellent!

Also add a few hot dogs too!

MiriFr

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 5:08 pm
I dont use any sauces. Just salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, onion soup mix, and honey.
It's heaven.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 5:19 pm
Is there someone who's cholent you like that you can get the recipe?

Blessing1

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 5:29 pm
What's your technique? Do you saute the onions?

mochacoffee

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 5:41 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
What's your technique? Do you saute the onions?

I don't saute the onions. I put it all in the crock pot, that's it.

Blessing1

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 5:44 pm
To get the best flavor, saute the onions in plenty of oil. Add garlic, spices and some ketchup & mix. Add beans, potatoes, and meat and cover with water. Cook on high for 2/3 hours then on low.

Twinster

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 5:45 pm
My tips:

Sauté the onion and garlic.

Skip the potatoes.

Use soft meat like Cheek meat or collicle - don’t cut them. Leave the meat whole.

Add a pack of marrow bones.

Sometimes we add hot dogs.

Spices I use: salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, coriander, thyme, chicken soup mix, duck sauce & ketchup.

I use only barley for a great consistency. I sometimes add a small amount of small white beans when I’m in the mood.

Blessing1

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 5:46 pm
Sauteeing the garlic takes away from it's taste.

boogiebabe

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 5:55 pm
I also had bad cholent mojo. Jamie Geller did a youtube video in 2011 called "How to make Cholent." I dont mix in the kishka, I use any meat and/ or bones on hand, and use soy sauce and spices instead of soup mix. The technique works well in my crock pot, especially potatoes on the bottom.
I'm not great at pareve cholent yet, though.....

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 6:00 pm
It's about the amount of salt, onion, garlic (sometimes brown sugar or ketchup).
How big is your crockpot? How high do you fill it?

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 6:02 pm
Your ingredients look perfect. Pershaps just adjust the seasoning. I find my cholent comes out best when I put more salt then I think I should.

chagru

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 6:29 pm
Yeah , skip potatoes and add marrow bones. Had the same problem about my cholent, till someone gave me this amazing tip. Cook on Thursday night in oven till as long as you can erev Shabbos. Just put all ingredients in pot and put pot in oven and that's it. It comes out so good.

Twinster

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 6:31 pm
Just want to add, if your family must have the potatoes, I’d bake them before adding to the cholent. Bake with oil and spices.

Woman of Valor

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 6:38 pm
The fact that the chulent is inconsistent means your amounts are inconsistent or your method is. I use the same recipe - ingredients/amounts and method - every week. Laugh at me for using a real recipe but comes out amazing every time!

octopus

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 6:39 pm
I put a piece of (raw) chicken in my cholent in addition to meat. Adds so much yummy flavor!(especially white chicken). I do not add a marrow bone. Never had a cholent taste bad when adding chicken to the mix. My ingredients are basically same as yours. I don't do any soy or BBQ sauces

octopus

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 6:41 pm
WindowMagic wrote:
The fact that the chulent is inconsistent means your amounts are inconsistent or your method is. I use the same recipe - ingredients/amounts and method - every week. Laugh at me for using a real recipe but comes out amazing every time!

I see that op doesn't have specific amount for water. I have to agree with above poster, you should have a specific amount of measurable liquid you put in.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 7:42 pm
I put in lots of ketchup, paprika, salt and thats it.
Meat
Beans
Potatoes
Onions
Barley

Candy Cane

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 7:59 pm
I put the same ingredients (meat, potatoes, onion, barley, beans). For spices- I put in so many! Drop of salt, black pepper and chili powder. Nice amount of paprika, onion soup mix, garlic powder, sweet and sour sauce, ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, honey, and barbecue sauce.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics