Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Hypospadias -miracle worker mohel or hocus pocus?!?!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 7:54 pm
My baby was born with hypospadias.

A rov directed us to a famous mohel I think from boro park, who claims after he does brissim the hypospadias resolves on it’s own. This seems to go against all doctors /science which claims it can never go away unless corrected by surgery.

Anyone heard of this or experienced this?!

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 7:59 pm
Never heard of it resolving on its own, but I do believe that by the bris, they leave a little extra so that can use that later on during surgery. So make sure you use someone that is familiar with this issue.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 7:59 pm
There are different levels of severity with hypospadias. My son had this. I guess it wasn't so severe. Our mohel was experienced with this, spoke tothe urologist before the procedure and yes, it was resolved at the bris. No surgery.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 8:01 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
There are different levels of severity with hypospadias. My son had this. I guess it wasn't so severe. Our mohel was experienced with this, spoke tothe urologist before the procedure and yes, it was resolved at the bris. No surgery.

Can u elaborate how it was fixed? The opening actually moved? How is this possible?

Who was your mohel?
Thanks

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 8:02 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Never heard of it resolving on its own, but I do believe that by the bris, they leave a little extra so that can use that later on during surgery. So make sure you use someone that is familiar with this issue.

We were told we can’t do a bris until the surgery, perhaps bec he was born with less forskin.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 8:02 pm
My husband is a mohel and I just asked him. He said in a mild case it is possible for the bris to correct it but anything more complicated will need surgery.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 8:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can u elaborate how it was fixed? The opening actually moved? How is this possible?

Who was your mohel?
Thanks

I don't know any of the details. It was my first child and I was a nervous wreck and recovering from a c-sec too. I was really like on another planet.

We used Rabbi Klein in CH.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 12:50 am
my son had this too. we were told to use a particular very experienced mohel and as far as I know it was fine. (I'm in israel - the mohel was R' Moshele)

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 5:07 am
My son had minor hypospadias. We took him to the pediatrician who said it does not require surgery. He BH had his bris on time. It's slightly off but he toilet trained perfectly fine so I'm glad we didn't put him through surgery.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 5:10 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
My son had minor hypospadias. We took him to the pediatrician who said it does not require surgery. He BH had his bris on time. It's slightly off but he toilet trained perfectly fine so I'm glad we didn't put him through surgery.

Glad to hear this.
My son also has very minor case. Pediatrician told us to leave it and not do surgery.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 5:30 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
my son had this too. we were told to use a particular very experienced mohel and as far as I know it was fine. (I'm in israel - the mohel was R' Moshele)

Did he also need surgery?

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 5:44 am
There is no miracle cure. Either the hypospadias is mild or it isn't. One of my boys had it, the urologist said he did not need surgery and could have the bris on time (it ended up being a bit late for other reasons, but the hypospadias was not the reason). It does make for a slightly more complicated procedure at the bris, which the mohel explained to me when he visited the baby the day before. Somehow, less foreskin makes the bris a little more tricky, but a highly recommended and experienced mohel can handle it well.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 5:56 am
Whether or not the opening is too off center, is a question for a pediatric urologist. If the urologist says no surgery necessary bec it's a mild case, you should absolutely use an experienced mohel for the bris as there is usually less foreskin to cut.
Mazel tov!

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 6:47 am
Hi op
Mazel Tov on your baby! I have two boys with hypospadias. One, was severe. His whole was in his right side- o hole at the top at all. We didn’t know we would have a bris until the day before. It was a “mini bris” and we used an extremely experienced mohel who was in touch with the urologist. He literally took enough blood to make a Bracha so we could give a name. My second son with hypospadias had it much more mild. We again used an extremely experienced mohel (the other one moved and we had this one come to our area for the Shabbos bris). He used scissors instead of a knife and it was a bit longer than the typical bris. Anyone familiar with a bris knew something was different. The urologist told us he may not operate as he is urinating straight and the skin is healthy. We have an appt Tom actually so I can keep you posted.
It depends on the severity but I doubt a mohel can just fix it. My mohel with 30 plus years didn’t toot his own horn. He spoke with the doctor before and after. And no way my first sons could have been fixed by a mohel! Was an hour surgery and he needed one repair. It’s “leaking” again from the original hole so he will need another repair..
Hatzlocha
It’s stressful..

amother
Black

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 6:47 am
I went to a few doctors - some said surgery then bris others said bris can be before the surgery. Our Rabbi said that doctors rather a clean area so they rather bris after. We had the bris on time and surgery at 6 months

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 9:41 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
There is no miracle cure. Either the hypospadias is mild or it isn't. One of my boys had it, the urologist said he did not need surgery and could have the bris on time (it ended up being a bit late for other reasons, but the hypospadias was not the reason). It does make for a slightly more complicated procedure at the bris, which the mohel explained to me when he visited the baby the day before. Somehow, less foreskin makes the bris a little more tricky, but a highly recommended and experienced mohel can handle it well.

This is exactly my feelings. Very experienced urologist (who is also jewish & familiar with brissim) told us surgery is a must in our case, & Bris not possible until surgery at 6 months.

But others are telling us of this amazing mohel who claims to just give Bris & it heals by itself. Doesn’t seem possible to me. If it’s a light case boy will just deal with it, severe needs surgery, either way don’t see how a bris can move the urinary opening (which is the main defect with hypospadias).

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 9:42 am
What did you all tell your family? Friends?

If u needed to wait for bris until surgery...

tzipi1

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 10:22 am
Hi OP!
I'm a urologist. We have several options for treating hypospadias, depending on the severity. Unfortunately, if your baby will need a surgical correction, this will be difficult or also impossible after the milah.
I think, you should discuss with a pediatric urologist and then with your mohel.
It's very important.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 10:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What did you all tell your family? Friends?

If u needed to wait for bris until surgery...

Did you see a doctor yet? My sons hypospadias was very severe. But with an experienced mohel who spoke to the doctor he cut just enough to make a Bracha and give a name. He looked like he had no bris until surgery

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 1:35 pm
tzipi1 wrote:
Hi OP!
I'm a urologist. We have several options for treating hypospadias, depending on the severity. Unfortunately, if your baby will need a surgical correction, this will be difficult or also impossible after the milah.
I think, you should discuss with a pediatric urologist and then with your mohel.
It's very important.

Thank you for weighing in! Yes we discussed with the urologist, he said no millah until surgery.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics