Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Water-based or oil-based finish for new wood floor
Previous  1  2

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 9:39 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Water-based finishes are more expensive in two ways:
1- You need 4 coats of water-based finish vs 3 coats of oil-based finish
2- Water-based finishes last 3-5 years vs 8-10 years for oil-based finishes, so you have to get your floors refinished twice as often.

I don't think it's just that the person who is doing it wants to charge more. T

That would make sense. I asked someone and they said per can it's the same price.

losingweight

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 9:45 am
I have semi glossy oil base polyurethane and am very happy with it. I know other people that were talked into water based and they are very unhappy. It doesn't wash as well and started showing signs of wear right away.

Marigold

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 11:38 pm
I have water based. I thought I knew what I was getting into but I have to admit it’s worse. The slightest fall of a toy or anything else scratches it. The shine comes off pretty fast and there’s permanent scuff marks all around. And that’s with a no shoe policy and A small family being careful.
What I’ve learned is that what’s beautiful isn’t practical. The same with oil/water paint finishes.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 5:28 am
tweety1 wrote:
My mother got asthma from moisture cure. That's before it was illegal. Many many yrs ago.

how was that confirmed? it may have triggered asthma symptoms but I doubt it caused asthma. The bigger concern was contractors that have long term exposure to the fumes. Not a one time exposure over several days.

tweety1

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 6:46 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
how was that confirmed? it may have triggered asthma symptoms but I doubt it caused asthma. The bigger concern was contractors that have long term exposure to the fumes. Not a one time exposure over several days.

It was medically confirmed. With moisture cure an exposure for 10 days is enough

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 8:47 am
When our neighbor did their floor without telling us, besides for the inhumane fumes, every time I lit a match, turned on the stove or the oven, it would ignite the fumes (flames were huge and would jump) and the smells we were ingesting became 10000x.
I wanted to move out but didn't have where to go. We didn't cook or have hot food for a week.

momsrus

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 9:38 am
ra_mom wrote:
When our neighbor did their floor without telling us, besides for the inhumane fumes, every time I lit a match, turned on the stove or the oven, it would ignite the fumes (flames were huge and would jump) and the smells we were ingesting became 10000x.
I wanted to move out but didn't have where to go. We didn't cook or have hot food for a week.

Extremely selfish.

My neighbor did it when it was 90 degrees outside. The fumes and smell came though the air condition vents. We turned off the ac

We ended up leaving because it was intolerable.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 9:41 am
ra_mom wrote:

In defense of the neighbors, contractors sometimes tell you there won't be a smell or that it will be of very short duration. When we were redoing our house prior to movng in, at one point we wanted to stay at our house for a chag, because it was near our shul. (Otherwise, we had a long walk.) It was a few days after the floors had been done, and the contractor had told me that the smell would last only one day. I thought maybe we would try to be there. But it was clear when I walked in that I was not going to subject my family to that.

momsrus

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 9:59 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
In defense of the neighbors, contractors sometimes tell you there won't be a smell or that it will be of very short duration. When we were redoing our house prior to movng in, at one point we wanted to stay at our house for a chag, because it was near our shul. (Otherwise, we had a long walk.) It was a few days after the floors had been done, and the contractor had told me that the smell would last only one day. I thought maybe we would try to be there. But it was clear when I walked in that I was not going to subject my family to that.

This is true.

That’s why I said upthread please tell your neighbors

Everyone should know this!

dankbar

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 2:08 am
The smell goes into food when cooking/baking. into the clothes in dryer, food in freezer get a bad taste

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 12:19 am
dankbar wrote:
I have a family member who works in flooring. He says all new fancy big homes are getting water base nowadays

I have been hearing that too...just wondering why if oil-based is prettier and lasts longer??

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 12:22 pm
So I live in a private house, semi-attached, neighbors across the driveway are away. Attached neighbors are home. I will be away the entire time that its being done, including the week after, so fumes will have time to dissipate. I obviously want it to last long and be beautiful, but still not sure which way to go?

Also, if I am leaning towards a brown with a touch of gray, would it go better with one over the other?

Here are the colors I'm leaning towards...feel free to tell me which one you like best!
duraseal gray inspired stain line

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 6:55 pm
bump

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 12:10 am
What would a more natural flooring option be? How can I redo my floors with no fumes? Is tile the only option?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics