Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
English name with Yehuda?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 1:53 pm
I don't know if I'm having a boy or girl but if it's a boy we will iyh be naming him Yehuda. I am not into English names at all but the problem is we already have a few relatives close in age with the name Yehuda and the same last name. That always makes me nervous with confusion over social security numbers and other legal documents.
I'm trying to think of a name to put on the birth certificate that is not just picked out of nowhere, but I really don't like the name Judah.
The only thing I can think of is to add a middle name, Yehuda something... but I'm not thrilled with having a middle name on the birth certificate if there's no middle Hebrew name

Any other ideas?

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 1:55 pm
Jeremy
Jack

iyar

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 2:03 pm
Sounds like this is purely for legal purposes, is that what you’re saying?
Choose any unusual middle name you find fun that goes with your last name.
Yehuda Phineas Pearlman
Yehuda Spencer Schwartzman
Yehuda Nigel Newman
Yehuda Wesley Warshavsky
You probably don’t want to share your last name but I’m sure you’ll come up with something now that I got you started Wink

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 2:05 pm
Please don't choose an unusual name that you child will be embarrassed about.

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 2:12 pm
If it worries you so much to have too many cousins with the same name, I still think it is easier in the long run for him to be Yehuda on his birth certificate, since he will be called by that name. Since you dont like Judah, you might like to put Jay in as his middle name. It really is like "J" for Judah, but it is also a name. It might make you feel better that he does not then have a corresponding Hebrew name because really Jay is just evoking the English Judah for Yehuda.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 2:14 pm
Jude?

tigerwife

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 2:15 pm
Anthony Wink
Jude

cinnamon

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 2:58 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Anthony Wink

You beat me to it!

Iymnok

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 3:45 pm
Leo?
Lionel?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 4:43 pm
There are lots of good suggestions here. Thanks all for helping me out!

finallyamommy

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 5:34 pm
Another vote for Anthony, lol. But you could also just use a middle initial - President Harry S Truman only ever had a middle initial, for one. :-) so you could use Yehuda K. Schwartz or whatever. Or what about spelling it Yehudah to differentiate?

nchr

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 6:23 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Please don't choose an unusual name that you child will be embarrassed about.

Parents can choose whatever they want. Only frum ppl have this fear of being ashamed of names... Teach your kids middos so they dont create that issue.

Also, she did not suggest an unusual name. If anything, in English, YEHUDA is a funny name or, because its English, it does not matter what name she uses.

You could use your maiden name as a middle name. Some people give kids middle names that could also be last names in case they dont want to use a last nane (I.e. Harris, Cohen, Allen, Davis for boys or Bardot, Quinn, Monroe, etc. for girls

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 6:30 pm
nchr wrote:
Parents can choose whatever they want. Only frum ppl have this fear of being ashamed of names...

That is very much not true.

If a person wants to give their child an unusual name, say "Rainbow", if parent shares the plan with a few people, one will say 'don't do that to your child".

That said - the unusal names suggested by Iyar weren't all that unusual - other than perhaps "Phineas"

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 6:40 pm
Quote:
Parents can choose whatever they want. Only frum ppl have this fear of being ashamed of names...

I personally have an English name that does not match up with my Hebrew name and it is not so much an embarrassment, but rather a nuisance. All of a sudden when I turned 16 I had this name that I never heard of, and it was suddenly everywhere. On my driver's license, my credit cards, SAT testing account, college transcripts. It was very annoying to have this "new identity". And that is one of the things I want to avoid with my children.
So I will probably end up doing the English name as just a middle name or adding just an initial.

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 6:45 pm
To me as hard as it was to have a Jewish name at work, it was a lot stranger to have the chasidish guy being called a ridiculously English name that he clearly never used in the rest of his life, because that what was on all of his legal documents. That is why I am a proponent of putting the name on the birth certificate as the one used.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 7:25 pm
There's a difference between a chassidish guy having the legal name of, say, Jacob vs Julian. The first is not so jarring. The second might raise some eyebrows.

And nchr, I work in a field with a lot of children, some of whom have rather interesting names and you better believe my (non Jewish) coworkers raise their eyebrows and wonder what those parents were thinking, though obviously not in front of the kids. No, not ethnic names. Think of unique names like Tallulah. Silas. Mabel. Etc.

I like the idea of Jay in this case, OP.

Kiwi13

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 9:40 pm
My Yehuda’s legal name is Yehuda. We spell our kids’ Hebrew names in English for their birth certificates. If it was something very difficult to spell in English we’d work around that, but Yehuda isn’t so hard. We haven’t had trouble with it as a legal name.

ETA I reread your OP, sorry for totally missing the point!

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 9:51 pm
I personally really don't like the idea of using mothers maiden name as child's middle name. let your child have a regular middle name. I know people do it but I don't like it. I give my children a second name that if they don't like their first name they can use their middle name as the name they go by. Nobody is going to want to introduce themselves as Katz or Schwartz. Giving the maiden name seems like it's about the mother and not the child. That's just my pet peeve though.

singleagain

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 9:57 pm
Quote:

I guess you didn't hear what happened when someone shared this very unusual three part first name

https://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com......html

Ridethewaves

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 10:05 pm
nchr wrote:
Parents can choose whatever they want. Only frum ppl have this fear of being ashamed of names... Teach your kids middos so they dont create that issue.

Also, she did not suggest an unusual name. If anything, in English, YEHUDA is a funny name or, because its English, it does not matter what name she uses.

You could use your maiden name as a middle name. Some people give kids middle names that could also be last names in case they dont want to use a last nane (I.e. Harris, Cohen, Allen, Davis for boys or Bardot, Quinn, Monroe, etc. for girls

Interesting. I was told by a rav that it is assur to name a child something they will be embarrassed of.
It’s not something I’d want to do anyways. Maybe I’d add an ancestors middle name that they don’t have to use.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names