Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Social Work Online Help
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 2:05 pm
Hi,

I would love to go into the field of social work/counseling. I'm interested in taking an online program. I am most concerned about how to afford the program. Does anyone have any experience with an affordable online program or any other advice? Please let me know. Thank you!

Anonymous because I have recently discussed this IRL with ppl.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 2:19 pm
How does that work with the fieldwork?

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 2:22 pm
Do you have a BA?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 2:42 pm
Do you know what you're getting into? Getting a job is hard. Average starting salary is 40k and it doesn't get much better than that unfortunately.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 2:42 pm
Just as an FYI… the education as well as the career of a social worker isn’t so Uber kosher, just as an FYI

chestnut

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 3:06 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Just as an FYI… the education as well as the career of a social worker isn’t so Uber kosher, just as an FYI

What's not kosher about the SW career?

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 3:08 pm
chestnut wrote:
What's not kosher about the SW career?

There’s a lot of not kosher topics such as gender/identity/attraction etc

There’s also a lot of policy based areas - it’s not just therapy

chestnut

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 3:15 pm
There’s a lot of not kosher topics such as gender/identity/attraction etc

There’s also a lot of policy based areas - it’s not just therapy

It's called "life" where others might be doing things you don't consider right. You're a trained professional, not their friend or parent.
What's policy based areas?

cnc

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 3:16 pm
Fieldwork is not done online

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 3:52 pm
chestnut wrote:
It's called "life" where others might be doing things you don't consider right. You're a trained professional, not their friend or parent.
What's policy based areas?

Some people have a harder time training as a professional where you will encounter those areas - people don’t realize that you need to be completely aware of your biases and how that impacts your training and profession.

In my program I had equal amount of classes where I learnt Counseling as courses dedicated to politics and government and related policies

gande

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 4:17 pm
I believe the yiep through Bellevue university has an online clinical counseling degree.

chestnut

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 4:44 pm
Some people have a harder time training as a professional where you will encounter those areas - people don’t realize that you need to be completely aware of your biases and how that impacts your training and profession.

In my program I had equal amount of classes where I learnt Counseling as courses dedicated to politics and government and related policies

I'd imagine someone who isn't fresh out of seminary/HS and is thinking of going for SW is aware of what Social Workers do and face.
We you on the administration track?

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 4:52 pm
chestnut wrote:
I'd imagine someone who isn't fresh out of seminary/HS and is thinking of going for SW is aware of what Social Workers do and face.
We you on the administration track?

And you would imagine incorrectly. Especially with “quick” programs.
No I was not - most schools are shifting to make sure that people are being fully taught.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 4:59 pm
Hi everyone- thank you for your feedback. I am well aware of what kind of topics I may face when training to go into this field. I would also like to go into this field because I am passionate about helping people and believe I have a knack for it based on my other career experiences, not because it is necessarily the most lucrative job. I am more concerned about affording a program and am wondering if anyone has advice regarding that aspect.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 5:00 pm
gande- do you know more about the Bellevue u program and how much it costs or any other details?

amother
Red

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 10:28 pm
OP, you can check out the YIEP website for info about their programs http://theyiep.com/ . If you need more info, I know someone who's doing the counseling program there and may be able to help you.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 2:39 pm
These quicker Masters programs for Social Work, or for clinical counseling for that matter, sound great, but (while relatively inexpensive compared to higher education in general) are still definitely a real financial investment, so far I've seen in the range of 40-60 thousand dollars. Loans are pricey with interest.

(I'll look online as well, but wanted to try here in this forum) does anyone have familiarity if one can get a master's in these areas via community college, & or online?

I wasn't sure if community college is only for undergraduate degrees, & also if they are available online or in expidited kinds of ways such as these frum programs. I thought I'd try here.

(Just a note, I don't mind it being a non-frum source for this educational purposes, so that's not the main part of my equation).

Thanks so much for any information, I really appreciate it

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 2:57 pm
I heard Sara Schenirer has a program and it's somehow more kosher

https://sarasch.com/wurzweiler-school/

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 3:01 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
These quicker Masters programs for Social Work, or for clinical counseling for that matter, sound great, but (while relatively inexpensive compared to higher education in general) are still definitely a real financial investment, so far I've seen in the range of 40-60 thousand dollars. Loans are pricey with interest.

That’s the problem with social work. The cost of education is high compared to the salary. It’s a really important field, but unfortunately the pay is not great.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 3:23 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
I heard Sara Schenirer has a program and it's somehow more kosher

https://sarasch.com/wurzweiler-school/

Thank you -
The SS Social work course is around 60,000 last I heard.
Does anyone know if community colleges offer master's programs, & if so, how much it might cost?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics