Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Party-planning a kiddush
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 4:30 pm
I am iyh due soon (yay!).
I live super OOT. I really wanna make a beautiful kiddush. There are no party planners here or caterers. The kiddushes here are like shabbos parties. Plastic party plates and utensils. Someone makes a cholent and puts out pretzels in plastic bowls. If you pay extra, you get a little DIY-type fruit platter.
I'm being a brat, but I want my baby's kiddush to be a little nicer than that!
What do you OOT imas do? Any ideas for me? (Besides just putting out flowers, which puts a bandaid on the situation).

hotcocoa1234

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 8:04 pm
First of all, bshaah tova!
If you have friends that are willing to help out, why don't you put together a kiddush with nice baked goods and salads served on pretty platters

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 8:11 pm
hotcocoa1234 wrote:
First of all, bshaah tova!
If you have friends that are willing to help out, why don't you put together a kiddush with nice baked goods and salads served on pretty platters

Thanks!
That's actually a really nice idea. I'm pretty new here, but I can probably pull something like that off!

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 9:14 pm
Are you comfortable pre-baking? You can make mini trifles, pretty cookies, biscotti in advance.
Look at dollar store for ideas. I got tourquise thin vases and filled each with a orchid. Can also do bunches of baby breath. Then get a bunch of wide vases. Same color or clear. At party fill with all different cookies.
Also you can buy tablecloths online for cheap. Get the cheap polyester with a few runners and then drape all over. (Or you can get the nicer ones).
Can you buy sushi platter to put out?
Buy very large bowls. Fill with salads and cut fruit. Salads don’t have to be work. Lettuce, cherry tomatoes. Bush nosh crackers. Dressing. No cutting needed.
Get paper supplies now from in town.
Pick a color that is strong and build in that. A great color can make a huge statement.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 9:24 pm
I live in-town, and buy really nice party goods from Amazon.

If you have a fabric store that sells remnants, you may find nice fabric or vinyl that can be used as a tablecloth.

I also buy vinyl by the yard on Amazon.

Search for "baby shower" on amazon, and you'll find cute props - baby bottles to fill with candy, stickers for chocolates, napkins, etc.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 9:45 pm
b'shaa tova! there are plenty of ways to make it look "nice". I just want you to keep in mind that if you are "new" you can still be you and make it nice if thats important to you but I would suggest not going too overboard compared to other people. just something to keep in mind. should I duck from the tomatoes now ?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 9:55 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Are you comfortable pre-baking? You can make mini trifles, pretty cookies, biscotti in advance.
Look at dollar store for ideas. I got tourquise thin vases and filled each with a orchid. Can also do bunches of baby breath. Then get a bunch of wide vases. Same color or clear. At party fill with all different cookies.
Also you can buy tablecloths online for cheap. Get the cheap polyester with a few runners and then drape all over. (Or you can get the nicer ones).
Can you buy sushi platter to put out?
Buy very large bowls. Fill with salads and cut fruit. Salads don’t have to be work. Lettuce, cherry tomatoes. Bush nosh crackers. Dressing. No cutting needed.
Get paper supplies now from in town.
Pick a color that is strong and build in that. A great color can make a huge statement.

Not comfortable pre-doing anything (ayin hara and stuff). I'm gonna wait until I'm feeling well enough to actually do anything myself. Not very thrilled about making anything myself, but I see I might not have much of a choice.
I love these ideas!
Problem is I can't order any premade food because of where I live. There is literally no kosher place to buy anything.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 9:56 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
b'shaa tova! there are plenty of ways to make it look "nice". I just want you to keep in mind that if you are "new" you can still be you and make it nice if thats important to you but I would suggest not going too overboard compared to other people. just something to keep in mind. should I duck from the tomatoes now ?

Thank you! I don't think I'm going to go overboard. I just want it to be nice. The kiddushes here are a little.....y'know.
Smile

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 9:58 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
I live in-town, and buy really nice party goods from Amazon.

If you have a fabric store that sells remnants, you may find nice fabric or vinyl that can be used as a tablecloth.

I also buy vinyl by the yard on Amazon.

Search for "baby shower" on amazon, and you'll find cute props - baby bottles to fill with candy, stickers for chocolates, napkins, etc.

Gotta love amazon!
What about the food situation? Can't exactly Amazon-prime some pink cake pops over!

amother
Red

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 10:05 pm
I don't mean to be a party pooper, but one of the really nice things about a simple kiddush is that no one is trying to impress anyone. Everyone who comes to wish you mazel tov is there for the simcha, not to check out the decor or the food.

I live in a small community on Long Island and one of the things that drew us to the neighborhood and the shul was that a fancy kiddush meant matching paper goods instead of the usual remnants the shul buys cheaply. Then people started to move in from other areas and began making fancier kiddushim and the whole feel just shifted. Just something to consider.

B'shaa tova!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 10:08 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
I don't mean to be a party pooper, but one of the really nice things about a simple kiddush is that no one is trying to impress anyone. Everyone who comes to wish you mazel tov is there for the simcha, not to check out the decor or the food.

I live in a small community on Long Island and one of the things that drew us to the neighborhood and the shul was that a fancy kiddush meant matching paper goods instead of the usual remnants the shul buys cheaply. Then people started to move in from other areas and began making fancier kiddushim and the whole feel just shifted. Just something to consider.

B'shaa tova!

I know, and I keep telling myself that!
But it's not really to impress other people. I'm doing it for myself! I want my little girlie to have a pretty kiddush. It'll make me feel so much better. I moved way out of town from the depths of flatbush, so I really do know what over-the-top looks like, and I absolutely don't want to go in that territory! But I did give up a lot coming here, and so just for myself I want a nicely set up event.

Optione

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 10:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know, and I keep telling myself that!
But it's not really to impress other people. I'm doing it for myself! I want my little girlie to have a pretty kiddush. It'll make me feel so much better. I moved way out of town from the depths of flatbush, so I really do know what over-the-top looks like, and I absolutely don't want to go in that territory! But I did give up a lot coming here, and so just for myself I want a nicely set up event.

I can definitely hear that. I think to prevent it from looking "overboard", you can do only a few of each item. Like 6 cake pops in a small base can give you enough to feel "you" without stepping on the toes of other community members. Doing 3 or 4 desserts like this sounds like it'll be ample.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 10:26 pm
Optione wrote:
I can definitely hear that. I think to prevent it from looking "overboard", you can do only a few of each item. Like 6 cake pops in a small base can give you enough to feel "you" without stepping on the toes of other community members. Doing 3 or 4 desserts like this sounds like it'll be ample.

Oh I like that idea. And also that way I won't be stretching myself so much! Thank you

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 10:33 pm
Just some ideas- amazon- for the tableclothes/ papergoods... but then also order some extras in pink- pink cupcake toppers (that u could put on basic cupcake), little pink party favors (they should have mini bottles you fill with candy...)

Also- oh nuts has a great website- order tons of pink and white candy- put into glass jars (or dollar tree vase) could look adorable and easy enogh for u.

Stick to 2/3 colors, put it out neatly... and that already helps.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 10:38 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Just some ideas- amazon- for the tableclothes/ papergoods... but then also order some extras in pink- pink cupcake toppers (that u could put on basic cupcake), little pink party favors (they should have mini bottles you fill with candy...)

Also- oh nuts has a great website- order tons of pink and white candy- put into glass jars (or dollar tree vase) could look adorable and easy enogh for u.

Stick to 2/3 colors, put it out neatly... and that already helps.

Love it! I'm writing this all down

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 9:38 am
Shindigz party supplies website has themed party favors & paper goods with good pricing. Some items are always on sale. Just make sure to order enough in advance so that you should have when you need it, because shipping takes some time.

I was by a kiddush recently that had some monnoogrammed or babys name decor & baked goods.
Like initial napkins....cookie with name. Initial cake. Initial plastic holder filled with candies etc.

btw any 99 cents store usually has solid color paper goods, so if you stick to one color for set it can already look nice. They usually have bright colors too not only boring basic colors that local stores sell. Much cheaper too.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 10:44 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Shindigz party supplies website has themed party favors & paper goods with good pricing. Some items are always on sale. Just make sure to order enough in advance so that you should have when you need it, because shipping takes some time.

I was by a kiddush recently that had some monnoogrammed or babys name decor & baked goods.
Like initial napkins....cookie with name. Initial cake. Initial plastic holder filled with candies etc.

btw any 99 cents store usually has solid color paper goods, so if you stick to one color for set it can already look nice. They usually have bright colors too not only boring basic colors that local stores sell. Much cheaper too.

Just checked online- looks beautiful Smile
I can't do the name cookies (I'm dyyyyiiinnng to) because that's impossible. There's noone here who does it. But initial paraphernalia are easy to find, so I'll do that.

mommyX2

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 10:44 am
I would do a color theme, but keep it SIMPLE. so as not to change the standards of the community. like pink (or purple) and silver, get some nice table cloths and nice paper goods. some simple pink foods. and candy in pink and silver like suggested above. that already will be beautiful, but not over the top with miniatures etc.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 11:36 am
Make sure you coordinate in advance with the rabbi or the person responsible for the kiddushes or shul kitchen, especially if you're thinking about making things at home. Our OOT shul doesn't allow homemade items to be served at a kiddush for kashrus reasons. It's a blanket policy, so that nobody has to be offended.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 2:02 pm
B'shaa Tova! I think you can basically buy everything, like pink and white cookies, pink topped cupcakes, white cookies, pink candies, white candies. You can buy it online by OhNuts or any online kosher store.
You just can make sure to have pretty wrappings, like the tablecloths, papergoods, buy pretty cupcake holders so that you can put in anything that people send but it'll be presented in a nicer way.
It's all about the décor, not really what's being served.
You can get little pink and white boxes by Wilton and stack them up on the table for a nice effect.
A nice tall white or clear vase and fill it with flowers of coordinating colors and so on.
Whatever you do, you should have lots of nachas and enjoy your simcha
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics